daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #181
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

Emaar has a good knoledge of building, and builds to high standards. However, i do not wish for nakheel to build this tower. Their building standards are atrocious. They recently constructed a residentail development, the gardens, and the walls are already crackiing. Anther prime development with villas going for 6mil a piece, called jumeirah islands, has walls cracking. What will they do for the tower? It worries me alot. It is, or should be noted to outside investors that dubais building standards are NOT REGULATED. they are not checked, nor are they approved for fire safety, except for emaar, union properties and certain prime developments and areas such as sheikh zayed road. Such is noted that there have been two fires lately in skyscrapers under construction. What will happen with nakheel? There safety record is already appauling.

Anyway, just a warning, i suggest you not to buy with nakheel. I in no way work with them, and am pilot trainee, so im not biased. Just living here, i know what they are like.
joobn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #182
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I have been thinking about this next world's tallest building... If Dubai is built on the sand since it is in the desert and right next to the coast... How deep will Al Burj gets built? My concern if it get built on the sand, it might tilt because sands are not strong enough to hold any taller tower to stay straight up. Al Burj is really extremely tall than usual, I would think it should be built in very deep ground enough to support entire building. Can anyone please explain? Thanks!
Every skyscraper sits on bedrock (hard rock under the Earth's surface). If the bedrock lies close to the surface, the soil on top is removed and the bedrock surface is flattened for the building's foundation. If the bedrock lies very deep, piles (vertical beams) are sunk through the soil until they are embedded in the bedrock. So basically, it doesn't matter if the skyscraper is built on dirt or sand, because it still sits on the bedrock.
MetalliTooL no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #183
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Of course it "doesn't matter" ... unless you start talking economics.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM   #184
Adi-Romania(Boston)

Likes (Received): 12

Metallitoon I have a question regarding that. I want to relate it to my home city, bucharest, romania. See the problem with building tall here they say is that "you can't" because the freatic line is close to the surface (water level of the dambovita river.) Also its a seismic zone, we had a 6.1 in 1986 and a 7.2 in 1977.

I want to know..is it true you cant build tall (supertalls) or is it just cost prohibitive? right now everyone seems to want 20-30 stories (80-150m) max.
Adi-Romania(Boston) no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:35 AM   #185
AltinD
The Modecator

It's all about costs.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:41 AM   #186
Alejandrohl3

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesky View Post
Dubai is becoming tourist destination because of this kind of attractions, you must admit. What can Dubai offer besides this? It does not have beautiful scenery or something like that...sand and super modern contructions...that is what Dubai offers. And it is doing it quite well
Yep you're right although..
The fact that Dubai is next to the sea gives it a nicer look, it's not lost in the middle of the desert. Besides, I think the beaches are not that bad.. although the water is quite salty. They also have lot's of shopping facilities and it's becoming a big sports attractor (tennis, airshows, horses, cars, etc)

I have no idea but I bet Dubai is hosting the Olimpic games in some years... don't you think?
Alejandrohl3 no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:48 AM   #187
AltinD
The Modecator

From where do you get the idea that sea water is quite salty? No one can understand what Dubai has to offer, unless experiencing first hand ... preferably with a local guide, since attractions are not "in the middle of the streeet" as to speak.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:19 AM   #188
Alejandrohl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
From where do you get the idea that sea water is quite salty? No one can understand what Dubai has to offer, unless experiencing first hand ... preferably with a local guide, since attractions are not "in the middle of the streeet" as to speak.
"The saltiest water is in the Red Sea and in the Persian Gulf, which have a salinity of about 40 o/oo (due to very high evaporation rates and low fresh water influx). The least salty seas are in the polar regions, where both melting polar ice and a lot of rain dilute the salinity. "

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...an/Salty.shtml
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM   #189
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

thats wrong...

There are areas on this planet, where you dont have bedrock untill 1000 -2000 m. That doesnt mean that the foundation will go down 1000 or 2000m.

You can build a modern skyscraper in every swamp and every sand hole wherever you want, all you have to use is a Pile foundation.

If that one goes deep enough, even without bedrock, you`ll be able to have a stable skyscraper....
pflo777 no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM   #190
montesky
is Loading! Please wait..

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandrohl3 View Post
The fact that Dubai is next to the sea gives it a nicer look, it's not lost in the middle of the desert. Besides, I think the beaches are not that bad.. although the water is quite salty. They also have lot's of shopping facilities and it's becoming a big sports attractor (tennis, airshows, horses, cars, etc)

I have no idea but I bet Dubai is hosting the Olimpic games in some years... don't you think?
I sure do! Besides the fact that they can finance construction of every sport facility needed for such an event, they can bribe the jury which decides on which country (or city) will be the next host for Olympic games as well
Two things are particularly important: the will and the money! They have both.
One thing is certain...if they do get the hosting, they will manage to organize something magnificent...something to remember, that's for sure!
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:33 AM   #191
syedaouf
aouf

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandrohl3 View Post

i think Shk Mohammed has Already bid fer the 2016 Olympics .. n thts y he even increased the capacity of the stadiums in Sports city ..nd am pretty damn sure they'll host it !!
syedaouf no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #192
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

is it plant on a ob deck in this one end in wat hight wuld that be ?
vanhenrik no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #193
Alejandrohl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Spacescraper View Post
Anything is possible Joydealer. Dubai could always host it in a less heat intense month! Dubai deserves to host the olympics, it would be the first time ever in the middle east. Another thing standing against them is there not very athletic in global standards with barely any medals.
Well although I've never heard the Emiratians (I don't know the name sorry) being popular in foot ball, It would be great if Dubai could maybe offer the FIFA world cup although the olimpic games would be more spectacular
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #194
joydealer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi-Romania(Boston) View Post
umm joydealer....you have what...one post? bugger off. It gets on topic now and then.

I'm a bit surprised. As we can see in the example of your post, the number of posts seems to say nothing about the quality of it. So what do you want?! I read in this forum already a long time and in this thread the last 10 sites are off-topic because there are no new informations; so everyone talks about Star Wars and the olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Spacescraper
Anything is possible Joydealer. Dubai could always host it in a less heat intense month! Dubai deserves to host the olympics, it would be the first time ever in the middle east. Another thing standing against them is there not very athletic in global standards with barely any medals.
Sure. But in my opinion the chance of Dubai is very limited because the committee of the olympic-games wants to find a city/country which satisfys the "typical" terms. They will try to avoid changing the "normal" timetable.
joydealer no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #195
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
is it plant on a ob deck in this one end in wat hight wuld that be ?
There is very little info on what the tower is going to be like but from what we have seen in promotional videos, there will be Sky Gardens and what appears to be ob decks at every 150m. This is something a lot of people dont realise about this tower and which makes it a spectacular design.

However, this design has been around for quite some time now. We now speculate there has been a name change and even a redesign of the original concept. Bearing in mind the tower was originally "Al Burj" @ 750m+, we have discovered press releases from contractors advising of a tower called "Tall Tower" @ 1200-1600m which we believe has replaced it.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; June 18th, 2007 at 10:06 PM.
dettol no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #196
mightygoose

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenico View Post
There is very little info on what the tower is going to be like but from what we have seen in promotional videos, there will be Sky Gardens and what appears to be ob decks at every 150m. This is something a lot of people dont realise about this tower and which makes it a spectacular design.

However, this design has been around for quite some time now. We now speculate there has been a name change and even a redesign of the original concept. Bearing in mind the tower was originally "Al Burj" @ 750m+, we have discovered press releases from contractors advising of a tower called "Tall Tower" @ 1200-1600m which we believe has replaced it.
actually the pinnacle was the one stated at 750, the tall tower which was then identified as the al burj was stated at being cut down from 1600m to 1200m... and who is we that specualte the redesign. tbh i dont think they would have tweaked the design as much as they have if they were going to scrap it afterward...

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; June 18th, 2007 at 10:07 PM.
mightygoose no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #197
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Sigh, you have your facts all mixed up...

Pinnacle = original tower proposed for the Palm Jumeira @ 750m

Al Burj = Center piece of the new Dubai Marina Development Project with no change to overall height.
OLD Render

NEW Render
(I cant find the renders released during cityscape at the start of the year so this will have to do)
[IMG]http://************/mcc3d5.jpg[/IMG]

Tall Tower = This tower is speculated to be the new Al Burj with what will probably be a redesign @ 1200-1600m, this is pure speculation however and has not been confirmed! The information comes from a press release by the Australian Engineering firm assigned to manage the project, this thread is mashed up and I cant find the press release either...
dettol no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #198
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

once the one mile tower will be built...the definition of supertall ...will suffer a change in definition..and only one tower will hold that name....for a couple of years...
giovani kun no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #199
AltinD
The Modecator

Is this it? Most propably it is

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM   #200
DiscoPiratePolarBear

Likes (Received): 1

I would have thought that they would construct the lakes and waterfront structure, before starting constructing buidings. I guess it will take like eight years to complete this building anyway.
DiscoPiratePolarBear no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai