daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #221
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
can u post this diagram?
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?8978577
Green Jello no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #222
Green Jello

Ok, I'm sitting here at work bored as hell, so I stuck the Al Burj in the middle of Chicago. Check out this shit

Old May 16th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #223
Wikidboo

Likes (Received): 0

The only thing I can relate the height too is the Stratosphere in Vegas..so I did a comparison just to envision the height.....amazing.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?27777705
Wikidboo no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #224
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Please guys, that diagram is simply an enlarged version based on the initial design of Al Burj. Its been on skyscraperpage for a number of months now. It is purely speculative and probably not the final design.

I know it is frustrating to have this lingering with only snippets of information being made available. Its really killing me as I really love the concepts being applied to this tower and im not just talking about the height.

Significant details will be made available VERY shortly, I suspect... I hope...
dettol no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #225
Green Jello

The final design is of little importance. We are talking about what 1200 meters really looks like.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #226
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

the problem with the up-scalded diagram is, that the windows are somehow not correct.
Therefore you always get the the wrong impresssion concerning the scale of the tower...
Nevertheless I think Chicago would fit a 1200m tower pretty well at that locatioin.
I also think a tower of that size somewhere near that stadium a bit south wouldnt be bad, too......
Chicago is and always has been a syscraper capital. So if mankind is able to build so tall, and if it makes sence economically, we will see such a tower there.

The Photoshop you made, dwalden, would be perfect if the windows had the right size...and maybe if the tower would be white or silver and not so brown...or sandcoloured...

Btw: would you be able to see the tower from Milwaukee? Or from Gary? That would be awesome...

Last edited by pflo777; May 17th, 2007 at 02:11 AM.
pflo777 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #227
pflo777
BANNED

One thing I didnt get all the time was; Who is the architect, who is the structural engineer, and what did those engineers do before, so that they think they have the skills to do what nobody did before?

Its not SOM right? If it would be SOM I would say, ok, so they made BD, they do have the experience. But this way?
pflo777 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #228
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
who is the structural engineer, and what did those engineers do before, so that they think they have the skills to do what nobody did before?
Well just think of it this way:

What experience did the engineers that helped build the very first skyscraper have for them to think that they had the skills to do what nobody's ever tried before?

It's a similar scenario!
connected_ no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #229
pflo777
BANNED

no its not. The first skyscrapers were build with the experiences made in hundreds of years of tall building history, specially churches over 150 m in europe and with experiences made with tall bridges and industrial buildings that were very tall.
The first skyscrapers were just existing technologies transfered to a new field of appflication....
As soon as skyscrapers were made out of steel and not brick any more, expeirences with bridge and ship building could be used, and a stell frame structure can be easily calculated btw. So skyscrapers like the Chrysler building were not such a miracle as they seemed, from a scientific point of view.
But what gives those guys the knowledge to assume they can handle a 1200 m tower?
pflo777 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #230
mightygoose

Likes (Received): 10

are you saying we shoudnt build taller because we havent done it before.... thats rubbish. we can exptrapolate models and calculate the problems involved no problem... yuri gagarin, im sure he had doubts as to whether to trust the data or not... but he climbed in the rocket anyway....
mightygoose no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #231
Alweron

Likes (Received): 8

That's really something, I have to say. I can't even imagine how tall the BD is not to metion this one. But I doubt that they're gonna build this. And if they will, i don't think it will be that tall anyway. They don't even need a tower that high All they want to do is to show the world how rich they are.
Alweron no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #232
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
That's really something, I have to say. I can't even imagine how tall the BD is not to metion this one. But I doubt that they're gonna build this. And if they will, i don't think it will be that tall anyway. They don't even need a tower that high All they want to do is to show the world how rich they are.
It will be built. The purpose of it is an anchor for the new Dubai Waterfront area, to attract more investment and development so that the waterfront development is successful. The same way as the Burj Dubai or the Palm J worked. Timing is important. I dont think we will see much until Burj Dubai has its glory and the excitment of that fades a little.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:22 AM   #233
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
The proposed spinning towers follow a quiet campaign to build the tallest building in the world -- again -- in Dubai. Code-named "The Burj," or simply the Tower, the 240-story, one-kilometer-tall (3,281 feet) spire would beat out the currently under-construction Burj Dubai, which is slated to hit around 2,300 feet when complete in 2009. The taller Burj would be built by Nakheel Properties in Dubai. A spokesman declined to comment other than saying it is planning a "large tower."
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...=regionallinks
jogiba no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:18 AM   #234
graham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

I can't really see something with that height to base width ratio being built.
Going up 1200m is of course an amazing acomlishment but why wouldn't they use a bigger base to start with. Why make it so difficult, if not impossible, by using such a small base.
My guess is they will go about 100m higher than they need to go to beat Burj Dubai. So around 900m or maybe 950m. They might even do 1000m just because the number is so attractive. But the base will be much wider than the renders are showing.
Now that we are seeing the reality of burj dubai we see how ridiculous some of the renders for that project have been.
To summarize - 1200m? - not likely, but if they do it won't look like that.
graham no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM   #235
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoX View Post
I'm curious about how the elevators would work in a rotating tower =X
The elevators will be built within the core of this rotating tower... Some space near the elavoters will not moving... Just like obversation tower that got rotating restaurants...
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM   #236
X236K

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
I can't really see something with that height to base width ratio being built.
Going up 1200m is of course an amazing acomlishment but why wouldn't they use a bigger base to start with. Why make it so difficult, if not impossible, by using such a small base.
My guess is they will go about 100m higher than they need to go to beat Burj Dubai. So around 900m or maybe 950m. They might even do 1000m just because the number is so attractive. But the base will be much wider than the renders are showing.
Now that we are seeing the reality of burj dubai we see how ridiculous some of the renders for that project have been.
To summarize - 1200m? - not likely, but if they do it won't look like that.
I guess so, no more than 1000m. If they want to beat BD noticeably, they must reach at least 900m and this is not far away form 1000m. But extending 900 to 1200 is too much difficult and expensive. I think 1km is a "milestone" good enough for Nakheel.

Anyway I can't imagine myself saying this 10 years ago. I didn't expect any building to go higher than 600m in next 25 years.
X236K no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #237
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

NAKHEEL (the developer) has the habbit to re-design and improve all of their projects, I really mean ALL of them, so there is nothing to be surprised of or unexpected for the design of this building to be changed as well.

One thing is for sure: IT WILL BE BUILD!!! They keep adding peoples on board: Just last week they contracted a company (I think it was Australian) that provides security and monitoring services.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM   #238
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Well I don't know anything about that.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #239
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434