daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #281
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Hey Sky, the plans of Dubai Waterfront you posted earlier are, from my understanding, out of date. Here are the latest plans that I am aware of:

[img]http://i14.************/67ocpzr.jpg[/img]

dettol no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #282
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

That's not the case with my city (Tirana). The mountain of Dajti is 1612 meters tall, but the city goes up to 200 - 300 meters above sea level (if not wrong)

Go figure
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #283
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

One kilometre high and counting

Quote:
But Burj Dubai may not hold the record for long. Another Dubai skyscraper, Al Burj, is slated to begin this year with a rumoured height of 1.2 kilometres.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...833838782.html
jogiba no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #284
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Nakheel are still showing the same design in the new Waterfront videos!

Surely this uninspired watered down version will not blow wind up the Sheikhs Dishdashah!

I know how his Highness likes his 'bits' cooled by these things.....bigger = better, to him and to me.
Sky Tower no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #285
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
I buy myself a fisheye lens, just for you.

There are some indicators that the cooridnates from SkyTower are outside of the plot.
I was the best navigator during my army time, so i know what i am talking about
Yes, we've both drawn the datum in the center of the plot, which will definately NOT be the case as the datum will be outside the realms (but right next to) the buildings footprint. I would guess it's towards one of the corners within the plot, but which one I have no idea!

Now there's a job for Imre.....find the datum point inside the perimeter!
Sky Tower no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #286
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Al Burj plans tenders
by ArabianBusiness.com staff writer on Saturday, 07 July 2007

Tenders for the main construction package of Al Burj Real Estate's Madinat Al Arab Phase One on Dubai Waterfront are expected to be issued by the end of the year.

Designs are being assessed and the winner will be selected within the next couple of months.

The project will be made up of seven towers, mainly residential, some of which will be 50 storeys high.

end when do you think we can aspekt the cunstruktion to bigin if it is now going to be eney cusntruktion at all ?
vanhenrik no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #287
vanhenrik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
"......by the end of the year..."
i rely hope so ! how high buldings do you think we hawe on earth on 100 years from now ?
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #288
KB

Likes (Received): 6800

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
i rely hope so ! how high buldings do you think we hawe on earth on 100 years from now ?
Single storied mud-houses..with all the foolish world leaders we have these days.

On a serious note, I dont thing people would go much beyond 1000-1500m range. And , God-forbid, if a tall skyscraper falls down due to natural disaster or technical fault , that would put up a limit beyond which few people will find it economically feasible to erect their buiding.
KB no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #289
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
end when do you think we can aspekt the cunstruktion to bigin if it is now going to be eney cusntruktion at all ?
Remember, Vanhenrik, that the buildings referenced in that article are NOT Al Burj, but are shorter surrounding buildings--the first phase of Madinat Al Arab, which is in turn the first phase of Dubai Waterfront. From the reports we hear, Al Burj is on its own time line, presumably starting sooner (though of course ending later since it will take so long to build).
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #290
vanhenrik
BANNED

they suld start whith al burj first becous its that bulding wo takes most time to put up !
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #291
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
they suld start whith al burj first becous its that bulding wo takes most time to put up !
If the information we have received is correct, that is precisely what they will do. According to Skytower, they actually started siteprep drilling today.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #292
vanhenrik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
If the information we have received is correct, that is precisely what they will do. According to Skytower, they actually started siteprep drilling today.
wonderful just the thing i wanted to here !
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #293
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18871

From Al Burj, you only see sand
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM   #294
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

But isn't Al Burj going to have 2 massive spire that take it to full height, as opposed to having a floor it 1,200m? I expect the highest floor will 'only' (lol) be around 900m-1km.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM   #295
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
Better yet leave the thread alone until some new information about al burj appears, its getting dull coming back to this thread every time it gets bumped only to see more speculation based on the article last year.
Agreed......
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM   #296
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10113

whats this thread about? lol
CULWULLA no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM   #297
NEWUSER
ITS COLD

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
^you would have to find a 1200m vertical cliff, anything else will not give close to the same impression. Ideally a 1200m cliff on the edge of a desert city with a bizarre seafront. Better yet leave the thread alone until some new information about al burj appears, its getting dull coming back to this thread every time it gets bumped only to see more speculation based on the article last year.
Maybe you missed the July 15, 2007 article

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...833838782.html

Olive Group was appointed as Security Risk and System Design Consultants for Al Burj Dubai in April 2007 and construction starts before end of the year.
NEWUSER no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #298
hotice
CRITICO URBANITA

Likes (Received): 211

Let´s talk about weather on the roof.

Suposed on 1 km, it´ll be in average 6ºC less than on the ground. Today, for example, 40ºC for maximum in Dubai would convert into a much confortable 34º, and the minimum of 31º to 25º.*

On the coldest days of the year, the max. of 16º wold fall to 10º and the min. of 10º drop to 4º *, ...nearly of freeze there in Arabia!.

* Perhaps because a phenomenon (technical word in weather called thermal inversion), the minimal could keeps at that level on same temperature than on the grond, specially on days of good weather without wind.

Another important question, the wind should lash so much, ussually over 60 km/h all the time, something very unconfortable, making the real sentation of cold bigger.
hotice no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #299
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Nakheel hints it won't build higher than Burj Dubai

Quote:
Nakheel has hinted that it will not compete with Emaar to build the tallest skyscraper in the world.

The company's Chief Executive Chris O'Donnell, revealed to Construction Week magazine, a sister title to Arabianbusiness.com, that he is not obsessed with tall buildings.
"Height isn't everything and biggest isn't best," he said in an exclusive interview. "What you have to do is come up with a building of real consequence and relevance. Look at the Sydney Opera House or Tower of London, they aren't the tallest, but they are iconic," he added.
Emaar's Burj Dubai is already the world's tallest structure - it overtook Taipei 101 this week at 512 metres - but Nakheel was rumoured to be planning a 1200 metre tower on the Dubai Waterfront development that will border the Palm Jebel Ali.
An earlier draft plan for the tower, which is expected to be called the Al Burj, mentioned a 1600 metre structure - literally a mile high skyscraper - according to some reports.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index...ubai&Itemid=69

Quote:
UAE developer Nakheel has indicated that its planned Al Burj skyscraper may not end up taller than the Burj Dubai. Nakheel CEO Chris O'Donnell told Construction Week that "height isn't everything" and that iconic buildings were more important. The Burj Dubai, being built by rival Emaar, is currently the tallest building in the world and is expected to be over 800 metres when completed. Nakheel's Al Burj tower was rumoured to end up 1200 metres.
http://www.ameinfo.com/127539.html
jogiba no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #300
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Well, never mind. Look at the absurd number and frequency of proposals in the city - it won't be long before some other developer announces a possible hypertall.

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai