daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18870

Maybe they just saying that not to worry the competion. Once the Burj Dubai is finished they build the Al Burj twice that height or so.. Those guys are crazy enough to do that.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #302
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

any photo of the site??
44p no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #303
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Bit strange for Nakheel suddenly to say that it is not particulalry interested in building this, considering the whole premise is to be theee tallest building for many years to come.

It's also unfair to compare the quality to accompany this tower to The Sydney Opera House & Tower of London, at the sacrifice of its intended amazing height.

What happened to all the fanfair by Nakheel a couple of months ago?

Nakheel is either in an embarassing spot financially suddenly to take on such a project

OR

Nakheel is just teasing & taunting us and has every intention of constructing the big bastard. More publicity hi-jinx.

Now what is this about Saudi Arabia planning a 1600m tower "The Mile Tower"?
Muse no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #304
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

It could just be a smokescreen, but it DOES seem like Nakheel has been scaling their ambition back on all of their projects one at a time--first Palm Jebel Ali, then Dubai Waterfront and then Palm Deira. Hopefully this doesn't mean this is the next in line.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #305
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Burj Dubai will set new standards for skyscrapers all over the world upon it's completion, I am quite sure this will bring in a new era of towers, which will most likely end up being taller and taller every time.

So don't worry, even though they couldn't pull off Al Burj, I'm sure there will be something bigger and perhaps better in the future, all we need is time.
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #306
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Bit strange for Nakheel suddenly to say that it is not particulalry interested in building this, considering the whole premise is to be theee tallest building for many years to come.

It's also unfair to compare the quality to accompany this tower to The Sydney Opera House & Tower of London, at the sacrifice of its intended amazing height.

What happened to all the fanfair by Nakheel a couple of months ago?

Nakheel is either in an embarassing spot financially suddenly to take on such a project

OR

Nakheel is just teasing & taunting us and has every intention of constructing the big bastard. More publicity hi-jinx.

Now what is this about Saudi Arabia planning a 1600m tower "The Mile Tower"?
Well, to be honest, Nakheel never said anything directly about the 1200m height, only that it was considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
It could just be a smokescreen, but it DOES seem like Nakheel has been scaling their ambition back on all of their projects one at a time--first Palm Jebel Ali, then Dubai Waterfront and then Palm Deira. Hopefully this doesn't mean this is the next in line.
Yes!
It's about time they came back to reality
malec no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #307
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

they changed a lot in their projects, but i'm still sure we'll see a very tall tower. at least 800m.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #308
jaja3000jaja
Masters Student

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Yes!
It's about time they came back to reality
Thank you Malec, someone has to have noticed that some companies just need to get their heads out of the clouds and understand that there is a limit, YES, there IS a limit, give it time and it can always grow more but for now slow it down a little.
jaja3000jaja no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #309
Archiconnoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

OR

Or Nakheel was just goading the owners of the Burj Dubai to overstretch, thereby driving his competitor into financial difficulty or even bankruptcy.
Archiconnoisseur no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #310
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiconnoisseur View Post
Or Nakheel was just goading the owners of the Burj Dubai to overstretch, thereby driving his competitor into financial difficulty or even bankruptcy.
Nakheel is 100% Goverment owned
Emaar is partially Goverment owned (majority stake).

None of them is in financial difficulties and the person who decide who will be the tallest of the two (towers) is only one, Sheikh Muhammed the ruler of Dubai.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #311
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

wat is going on on the plot there al burj is going to be ?
vanhenrik no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #312
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

al burj
malec no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #313
Archiconnoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Nakheel is 100% Goverment owned
Emaar is partially Goverment owned (majority stake).

None of them is in financial difficulties and the person who decide who will be the tallest of the two (towers) is only one, Sheikh Muhammed the ruler of Dubai.
If Emaar fails, then Nakheel can buy out its non-government investing partners on the cheap. Brilliant!
Archiconnoisseur no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #314
AltinD
The Modecator

For the Malaysians and Taiwanese you bet they are.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #315
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
Have the world tallest building is not that great anymore.. NY alone had that tittle so many times, in the 30's all the people were like WOW, but now, any country can build a tower that height.. Are the Petronas towers famous as the Empire States?, DoesTaipei 101 became famous as the Sears Towe did?
The Burj Dubai is constantly in the news all over the world. I have seen it on BBC NEWS a number of times. I would say it will be quite famous.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #316
GeneratorNL
From Holland with love

Likes (Received): 892

Quote:
Have the world tallest building is not that great anymore.. NY alone had that tittle so many times, in the 30's all the people were like WOW, but now, any country can build a tower that height.. Are the Petronas towers famous as the Empire States?, DoesTaipei 101 became famous as the Sears Towe did?
Actually I think the Sears Tower isn't that famous outside the USA at all. I'm from the Netherlands, and when I ask some of my Dutch friends and relatives if they have heard of the Empire State Building, they say 'Yes', when I ask them: have you ever heard of the (former) World Trade Center, they say 'yes, of course', but when I ask them: Have you ever heard of the Sears Tower, they answer: 'What the hell is a Sears Tower?'.
This can mean two things:
a. I have incredibly stupid friends and relatives, or
b. It totally depends on the location on earth whether or not a building is 'famous'.
What I'm trying to say is, that the Petronas Towers could be very famous in sout-east Asia, although almost no one has heard of them in the USA or Europe. The Tapei 101 can be famous in east-Asia, although almost no one has heard of that building in other parts o the world. Another example: the Chrysler Building is (from what I've read and heard) a very famous building in the USA, but in other parts of the world only a little part of the population knows what the Chrysler building is.
I think the same thing applies to almost all of the other skyscrapers (of which we skyscraperfans and maybe a bunch of other people heard of) but still remain unknown in other parts of the world.
I think there are some exceptions though: I think everyone (at least here in Europe) knows what the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center are.

Kind regards,

Vincent
GeneratorNL no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #317
Rahmani
-|-

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
The Empire States is one of the most known buildings. But in most countries outside the US, people don't know the Sears Tower and they will not recodnize it if they see it.
Rahmani no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #318
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Which is what i've said before. If a highrise isn't from New York, people (more majority than minority plus those outside SSC/SSP) haven't heard of it. The ESB and Chrysler Buildings are the stereotype image for skyscrapers and tall buildings (ala King Kong). Think skyline and people say New York, maybe Chicago, but not HK/Frankfurt/Paris/Dubai etc Plus each city has it's icon identified by the media. you have the Eiffel Tower/Breadsticks/Arc de Triumph for Paris, Big Ben/London eye/red buses/Black Cabs/red phone boxes/Queens Guards/Tower Bridge for London, Godzilla for Tokyo and ESB/Chrysler/Statue of Lib/Yellow cabs and Twin towers post 9/11 for NYC. Although a lot of people have heard of the CN tower too.

Your friends may have never heard of the Sears Tower because the media doesn't give it enough attention/exposure or are incredibly New York Centric or only focus primarily on the big four aplha world cities.

Anyway, gone off topic here!
Myster E no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #319
AltinD
The Modecator

For me every famous tower is MORE famous that ESB. I saw absolutely no apeal on that tower. Seeing Chrysler (actually the slim top half only), on the other hand was a droolling experience and I was glad to been staying just a block away on the 42nd street.

As seen from the front of the Hotel I was staying:

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #320
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Believe me, it is for the Dubai rulers! Why else should they build the biggest mall, the tallest Skyscraper, the biggest park, the biggest airport and so on!!

Last edited by devilsadvocate; July 31st, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
devilsadvocate no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai