daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 31st, 2007, 01:28 AM   #321
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 4156

wow FM 2258 i love these pic looks cool is that ice?
what do you think about my edited
[IMG]http://i18.************/4vrdbue.jpg[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:57 AM   #322
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

Likes (Received): 257

"Are the Petronas towers famous as the Empire States?, DoesTaipei 101 became famous as the Sears Towe did?"

in Asia, Yes
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:27 PM   #323
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Sorry, but this has become a spam thread.
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #324
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Al Burj Tower news update

Quote:
There have also been rumours that the Al Burj Tower will not try and match the Burj Dubai in height, and that it may not even be built. Can you comment on what is happening with this project?

What I can tell you is, yes, it will be built, but the site is still to be confirmed. However, we still believe it will be the tallest.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index...icle&id=497205

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; August 9th, 2007 at 08:55 PM.
jogiba no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #325
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

This is now unlocked. Please, no more spammy/pointless comments. Thanks.
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #326
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Thanks, wjfox2002.

Here's what has been posted in the BD thread and in the continental forums:

Highlights:

1. Height currently at 1050m
2. Location not determined at this time
3. Apparently the design (not just the size) has been changed now with a centrally located single spire.

Saturday, August 18, 2007
Nakheel Designs Al Burj: 1,050m Tower in Dubai

Al Burj

Al Burj (The Tall Tower) project being planned by Nakheel will be 1,050 metres tall, comfortably exceeding the height of the rival Burj Dubai and making it the world’s tallest building.

Nakheel has kept the tower’s height a closely guarded secret as it waits for its more advanced rival, being developed by Emaar Properties, to reach its final height later this year. However, MEED has confirmed that design plans show the tower to be more than 1 kilometre tall, at 1,050 metres.

“At that height, the Tall Tower will definitely be taller than the Burj Dubai,” says a source working on the Burj Dubai. “Emaar has not announced the full height, but the contractors are working to plans for a 700-metre tower, and we expect its final height to be about 800 metres.”

The Burj Dubai became the world’s tallest building on 21 July, at 512 metres, and is due to be completed in 2008.

Designs for the Tall Tower show 228 floors, a four-level basement and one service sub-level – a total built-up area of 1.49 million square metres with 492,000 square metres of useable space. It will house offices, apartments and hotels. The top habitable floor will be at 850 metres, topped by a 200-metre central spire with a three-level function area and three service floors.

However, the location of the tower could change again. It was originally called Al-Burj and destined for Palm Jumeirah, before becoming part of the Dubai Waterfront scheme. Nakheel is still reviewing its options.

“The site has never been fixed and has always been under review in the context of the strategic plan for Dubai,” says a spokesperson for the developer.

According to industry sources, the tower has been forced to move to the Ibn Battuta mall area as it violated Department of Civil Aviation height restrictions because of its proximity to the new Dubai World Central airport at Jebel Ali. Nakheel denies this. “No height restrictions have been placed on Nakheel in the waterfront area by the Department of Civil Aviation,” says the spokesperson.

Tenders for the contract to build the tower are expected early in 2008. Meanwhile, several consultants and contractors are assisting Nakheel with the project. “No pre-construction contract has been awarded or considered at this stage,” says the spokesperson. “We are talking to large-scale contractors, including [Japan’s] Taisei Corporation, to assist with the buildability analysis of the early design of the superstructure.”

posted by Fahad Al Mahmood @ 10:07 AM UAE Local Time
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #327
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

I noticed they mentioned a spire. Is this building still going to resemble the previous pictures that have been floating around? I love that design.

FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:24 AM   #328
gamma_ray_burst
urban astrophysicist

Location: Milan [X] - MŁnchen - La Silla - Trieste - KÝbenhavn
Likes (Received): 122

this render is wonderful.
much better than the previous one
gamma_ray_burst no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:49 AM   #329
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I noticed they mentioned a spire. Is this building still going to resemble the previous pictures that have been floating around? I love that design.
We do not know what the redesigned tower looks like or if in fact it has been redesigned. Some speculate it has simply been stretched like with the Burj Dubai where as others, such as myself, feel the tower has undergone major changes. I personally love the design you show in your post and hope it is used.

However, now that we have a new figure of 1050m instead of the exorbitant 1200m-1600m references, its a lot more probable that the original design has been retained and simply stretched.
dettol no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:38 AM   #330
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

that rander is the old one the pinacle
vanhenrik no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #331
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

please no more spamming.
44p no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #332
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Yup its veyr old, i heard it was inaccurate as someone counted only 178 floors in that renders

850m on the top floor? guess going that height is already taller than the tip of BD, its nice try, but dont really like the design

Reduce the spire to 900M++ woud be a better option (Why the hell build a 200m spire? might as well build a Spire going straight to 1000m++ right from the start and den put a mini VIP deck at the tip at of the spire for $$$$)
Gattberserk no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:36 PM   #333
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7957

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneratorNL View Post
I'm from the Netherlands, and when I ask some of my Dutch friends and relatives if they have heard of the Empire State Building, they say 'Yes', when I ask them: have you ever heard of the (former) World Trade Center, they say 'yes, of course', but when I ask them: Have you ever heard of the Sears Tower, they answer: 'What the hell is a Sears Tower?'.

i agree with you... but do you really go around asking such questions?

most people in Brazil know about Petronas, but dont know about Sears. But most people dont know about Taipei 101.

I guess in the end is all about marketing uh?? The brazilian national team played a game in Malaysia before the 2002 World Cup. Taipei wasnt finished yet. And they all posed for pictures under the Petronas.

as a matter of fact, most brazilians think the tallest building in Latin America is in Brazil, probably S„o Paulo. Fools.
AcesHigh no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:55 PM   #334
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

i totoley dig the look end the disign i rely hop it is getin an ob deck on top of this one ! other wice it sucks !

------------

Translation:

"I totally love the look and the design. I really hope it is getting an observation deck at the top! Otherwise, it sucks!"

Last edited by wjfox; August 23rd, 2007 at 12:41 AM.
vanhenrik no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM   #335
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

lmao wjfox... Just tell him to get his act together, hes pulling everyones leg! :P

No, this is not the Pinnacle, its called the Al Burj... The render even says so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
dettol no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:40 AM   #336
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Let's keep this on topic or the mods here will close it again.
BTW the title needs to be changed to 1050m and 228 stories.
malec no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #337
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Its just lame, first they said they will try not to fight the World tallest title with Emaar, and now it say it will comfortably exceed the height of BD..

Gattberserk no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM   #338
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

Its just a marketing gimmick i think.

Who knows how tall Nakheel will go i dont think thy will built something smaller thean BD.

And i think that the fight for the WTB will be located in Dubai for the next 10 years.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:15 PM   #339
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

After the Burj Dubai and possible Al Burj I just don't see the WTB title being held outside of Asia or the Middle East for a very long long time.

Hopefully Nakheel will come up with a grand new design for the Al Burj and discounting spires with a respectable AOD height, btw, what is the official status of the building itself and not the old design, according to SSP Diagrams it's proposed with the old height and approved on Wikipedia and pretty much Emporis too.
Myster E no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:12 PM   #340
Alweron

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
i agree with you... but do you really go around asking such questions?

most people in Brazil know about Petronas, but dont know about Sears. But most people dont know about Taipei 101.
I guess in the end is all about marketing uh?? The brazilian national team played a game in Malaysia before the 2002 World Cup. Taipei wasnt finished yet. And they all posed for pictures under the Petronas.
Of course it's about marketing! If they made a TV-videoclip presenting the highest residential tower in Finland, Cirrus (86 meters), to each country in the world for quite a while, everyone would know it. Okey, maybe they could first explain what and where Finland is, but anyway

And if u consider how often New York is shown in the media, it's no wonder people know it (and it's buildings) better.

And what comes to this building. I'm pretty convinced a big village could move into that one! That is huge, if not _too_ huge.
Alweron no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai