daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #361
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10142

i dont think you compare living on a mountian which is easy accessible compared to a 200 or even 300storey skyscraper. We havent yet worked out the posiblities and problems associated with transporting humans up and down a skyscraper of 1000m+.It really does present alot of problems. remember even though Burj Dubai will be over 800m tall, the "inhabitable" section will only be approx 600m high.
It also has to be viable.
i think it wil be many years until we see a 1km high skyscraper.

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #362
Krom

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
You beat me to the La Paz comment!! But i must say, alot of regular people find it pretty hard going at that altitude. No one will have any trouble at only 1000 metres or so above seas level though.
And the highest levels of Al Burj might as well be pressurized.
Krom no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #363
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
i dont think you compare living on a mountian which is easy accessible compared to a 200 or even 300storey skyscraper. We havent yet worked out the posiblities and problems associated with transporting humans up and down a skyscraper of 1000m+.It really does present alot of problems. remember even though Burj Dubai will be over 800m tall, the "inhabitable" section will only be approx 600m high.
It also has to be viable.
i think it wil be many years until we see a 1km high skyscraper.
Pilots and cabin crew seem to do fine with the many take offs, landings and altitude changes they have to go through in a year.
FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #364
marocboy
ayt wayagher

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaM1981 View Post
The Mile Tower in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) will be 1600 M inshallah (God willing) so let's see if dubai is planning to build 2000 M tower to break the record lol.

Insallah!

So damnn hot!
marocboy no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #365
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

The plane cabin is pressurised.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #366
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

vanhenrik no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #367
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The plane cabin is pressurised.
At cruising altitude, most jetliners have a cabin pressure of around 6-8000 feet. Have you ever felt your ears popping while the aircraft is descending?
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #368
mikering
Edificio más bajo anexo

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
At cruising altitude, most jetliners have a cabin pressure of around 6-8000 feet. Have you ever felt your ears popping while the aircraft is descending?
yes

Ganador de un rascaolé 2007! (ou yea)
mikering no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #369
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

wont the air pressure be different in a tower than up a mountain?
the sock no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #370
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
wont the air pressure be different in a tower than up a mountain?
Why would it be? Air pressure is (more or less) a function of height relative to sea level.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #371
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

I'm currently sitting at my desk at 5500' (1676 M). So far, I haven't dropped dead.

Ok seriously for the people who don't quite get this. I am an experienced mountaineer and have a bit of expertise on the subject. Here is the average breakdown for humans:

0-13,000' = Instant acclimatization
13,000' - 19,000' = Acclimatization time necessary with possible altitude sickness
19,000'+ = Acclimatization not possible. Altitude sickness eminent.

So as you can see....none of this discussion belongs in a thread about skyscrapers. Can we move on now?

Last edited by Green Jello; September 25th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
Green Jello no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #372
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden View Post
I'm currently sitting at my desk at 5500' (1676 M). So far, I haven't dropped dead.

Ok seriously for the people who don't quite get this. I am an experienced mountaineer and have a bit of expertise on the subject. Here is the average breakdown for humans:

0-13,000' = Instant acclimatization
13,000' - 19,000' = Acclimatization time necessary with possible altitude sickness
19,000'+ = Acclimatization not possible. Altitude sickness eminent.

So as you can see....none of this discussion belongs in a thread about skyscrapers. Can we move on now?
Thank you! Someone who knows what they're talking about.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #373
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

way is not this app ? is it becous the final disign has`nt bin disided yet ?
vanhenrik no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #374
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Im sick of all this idiotic spam about the height..

Found this: http://www.alburj.net/

Lets get back to the times where we combed the net for leads and speculation reigned...
dettol no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #375
dettol
Logarithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Dubai doesn't ahve an address system, i think it's time they got one.
Yes but this is not the place to discuss this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Looks like a cybersquatter owns it since they have been sitting on it since Dec. 2003....
Thank you Hollie.

So who can dig up more info on the Al Burj and when is CityScape this year? Im sure if we are going to see an official announcement from Nakheel this year, it will be at CityScape.
dettol no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #376
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Cityscape is next week. I agree that if anything is going to happen we'll find out about it there. Interestingly enough, one of the guys in the UAE section saw a picture of a model of Dubai that will be displayed at Cityscape. The picture happened to be of Dubai Waterfront, and Al Burj was conspicuous by its absence. Maybe this means it was canceled? Maybe this means there was truth to the rumors that it was going to be moved somewhere else farther from the airport? We'll know more next week!
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #377
dettol
Logarithm

OH! So exiting!!

You know a possibility is they have chosen to go for some other type of extreme rather than height... I suppose they could build a giant circle like a wheel or a leaning tower like the sun tower that took away several architectural awards but was never built

This is looking more and more like the Al Burj as we have come to know it during the past couple of years is no more...

However, the importance and meaning this project represents should make the final design unforgettable (Unless they completely drop the ball and screw it up).
dettol no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #378
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

It's back

Nakheel to finance Burj Dubai rival
by Safura Rahimi on Thursday, 11 October 2007
Nakheel is planning to build a tower that will rival the Burj Dubai, pictured.Dubai developer Nakheel is looking to fund construction of a mega-tower that could eclipse the Burj Dubai as the world’s tallest building.

The company wants to borrow as much as $3 billion over the next 12 months to fund more projects, including the skyscraper that may rival the Burj Dubai, Nakheel CEO Chris O’Donnell told Bloomberg on Wednesday.

In the report O’Donnell did not give any further details about the skyscraper, but the funding is likely to be for Nakheel’s 'Tall Tower Project'. The project, previously called Al Burj, is a colossal tower that will reportedly be over one kilometre in height.

Story continues below ↓
advertisement

If correct, the tower will be significantly taller than rival developer Emaar’s Burj Dubai, which is expected to measure between 700 and 900 metres once complete.

Neither developer has specified the exact height of their respective structures, and Nakheel has been keen to play down any competition between the two.

O’Donnell said in July that “height isn’t everything and biggest isn’t best” when it comes to building an iconic tower.

“What you have to do is come up with a building of real consequence and relevance. Look at the Sydney Opera House or Tower of London, they aren't the tallest, but they are iconic,” he was quoted as saying.

The firm's executive director for investment projects, Robert Lee, told ArabianBusiness.com last month that the company does have a tall tower project in the pipeline, but pointed out “a tallest tower is a fleeting thing”.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/50197...i-beater?ln=en
cyborg81 no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #379
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Locked again because of the useless posts going around. If nobody has anything good to say then better say nothing at all.
malec no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #380
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Thread reopened. Some info from SA Boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY View Post
complete change in design, much much better and much much taller than the burj
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY View Post
origional design was impractical and too inificient in floor plates hence the outside shear walls were about 1,5m thick. It did however allow design teams to think differently about towers and the new design is very very good
New proposed location is at the bottom right of this picture. The tower will overlook the marina, JLT, the palm jumeirah and, uh, a massive power station!
malec no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai