daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:59 PM   #501
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey992 View Post
Or you can just answer my question. It will take less time to type than that
I didn't specifically refer to you when I said that. I meant in general. People should read the last 5 to 10 pages (ie, about 100 posts) of the thread and most likely they'll find their answer.
malec no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM   #502
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post
are there any buildings (other than Al Burj) that may be taller than the Burj Dubai?
Yes, the Mile High Tower in Jeddah (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=525819).

Last edited by BarbaricManchurian; January 23rd, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM   #503
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Can't most of you people read the ******* thread before posting random questions? You don't need to read the entire thread but start from about 10 pages back and everything will be clear
Thats the reason this thread has soo many pages... the same random questions over and over!

For the most part (and this includes the Burj Dubai thread) I start reading about 4 pages back from the final page, and I get my answers quickly without too much random shit thrown in there....

Until Nakheel decides to "wow" us, we are going to know a whole lot of "nothing" regarding this structure.. This thread should close until there is at least an updated and final render.. I have a feeling that its not even going to end up the least bit similar to the previous proposal.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM   #504
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

Found this on another site.

Quote:
Soletanche Bachy awarded piling contract for Dubai's new tallest tower in the World

Soletanche Bachy have been awarded the piling contract for Nakheel's Al Burj tower. The site for Al Burj is now confirmed next to Jumeirah Lake Towers (known as JLT) and Dubai Marina. Although the plans and height for the tower have yet to be released, inside information reveals that at over 1.2 km tall, Al Burj will eventually become the new World's tallest tower, dwarfing the Burj Dubai tower in downtown Dubai which currently holds the record for the World's tallest. Insider rumours suggest the new mega tower's height may even be as tall as 1.6 kilometres.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #505
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

Soletanche Bachy website http://www.soletanche-bachy.com/
Dubai_Steve no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM   #506
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

lol Dubai Steve, im almost sure those 'Insider Sources' are SSC and SSP :P

Guys, its not going to be 1600m tall, 1050-1200 is the probable range. We will probably have an announcement within the next couple of months. Just be patient and use the time to read the entire thread.

I recommend you start on this page.
dettol no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:29 AM   #507
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

It's crazy the amount of secrecy here. Was there this much secrecy with burj dubai?
malec no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM   #508
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
It's crazy the amount of secrecy here. Was there this much secrecy with burj dubai?
good question, I didn't know about the Burj Dubai until I read a story on CNN mid way through the construction. All I know is that the final height of the Burj Dubai is remaining a secret due to competition for the world's tallest building.
Mr. Met no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #509
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15932

@Everybody

This thread has been closed for 3 times because of off topic spam.

I have just deleted 1000~ off topic/irrelevant posts in this thread, that was around 60% of the existing posts.

If you spam this thread with off topic/irrelevant stuff you'll might be brigged.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM   #510
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Everybody is just interested in this building so they will throw in their 2 cents. Those of you who constantly bicker about spam, your not running a buisness here. This is just for fun and you take it so personally.

Have fun and take this as a conversation about Al Burj.

I hope for one they go for absolute MAXIMUM height. Hopefully this thing will surpass BD by 50%. Either way it will be the first structure to surpass 1km.

I hope this is the beginning of the construction phase.

Lotta fun, lotta fun.
beyond 1000 no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM   #511
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamel05 View Post
I got the news about piling from a friend working there. He told me that they will be moving their site offices from Palm Jebel Ali to Al Burj site. I will get more information once they move there.

Thanks Imre for confirming my news about Soletanche Bachy.
thanks
Imre no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM   #512
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

23/January/2008

Al Burj plot

Imre no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM   #513
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

A milestone in the history of architecture! Setting the new limits in new times. This is really a great tower absolutely fameus! Its surpasses The Burj Dubai with two hundred end more meters!

A real vertical city!
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #514
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Nakheel's tower to eclipse Burj Dubai

The race to build the highest skyscraper in the world may never be over, says the head of Nakheel’s building division.

Canadian Robert Lee, 45, appeared unfazed at the notion of tallest structure claims noting they are often short-lived as taller and taller towers are erected around the globe.

“The whole idea of the tallest tower is really fleeting,” he said in an interview with XPRESS at a recent trade and tourism show in Dubai.

That said, the push to build the new Nakheel tower Al Burj, he added, was very much “on the drawing board”. And Nakheel isn’t ruling out the possibility that Al Burj could dwarf Burj Dubai.

When constructed at an unspecified time, the proposed tower would be located at Dubai Waterfront project which is to be renamed in March as simply “Waterfront” by Nakheel.

The skyscraper would be a combination of offices as well as residential apartments.

With speculation that the proposed Nakheel tower could reach skyward up to a kilometre, the structure could stand a full 300 metres higher than Burj Dubai now under final stages of construction by Emaar on Shaikh Zayed Road.

Lee isn’t ready yet to spill the beans on how high Al Burj tower will reach to enter the record books although he has confirmed that it would be at least as tall as Burj Dubai.

He said once a building reaches a certain height, going a few hundred metres extra doesn’t require as much of additional design, materials and time as one would think.

“The same amount of effort will be taken whether it’s 888 [metres] or a kilometre,” said Lee, a Vancouverite. “There will always be someone who wants to challenge the imagination.”

Lee moved to Dubai in 2000 to assume management of Nakheel’s ambitious building programme.

Nakheel is still committed, Lee said, to building the Palm Trump Hotel and Tower on the trunk of the Palm Jumeirah, a skyscraper that replaces the scrubbed Pinnacle Tower.

After unveiling this week the Universe island development as well as a push to redevelop Port Rashid, Lee said Nakheel continues to believe Dubai is “the place where the impossible is possible”.

Lee countered pessimistic claims that Dubai will never fill all of the new office and residential space under construction noting that his company believes that as the city becomes a world-class financial and business centre, it is also building a new sense of security.

The city is on the cusp of welcoming billions of dollars in international investment by firms which have been waiting patiently for Dubai’s economic and exchange markets to mature, said Lee.

He said that Nakheel now manages 60,000 units it has constructed in recent years.
And there’s more on the way.

“We’re in the process of building 60,000 to another 100,000 units,” Lee said.

BY THE NUMBERS

Nakheel is one of the largest development firms in the world involved in corporate, residential and retail projects.
The Dubai-government owned developer is currently involved with $60 billion (Dh220 billion) worth of assets and development projects.
Combined with Emaar, another government owned development company, Nakheel is involved in $80 billion (Dh293 billion) worth of projects.

Nakheel employs 3,000 people.
The company has heavily invested in its three sets of manmade islands off Dubai’s coastline including The Palm Deira, The Palm Jumeirah, and The Palm Jebel Ali.
When its new island projects are completed, Nakheel will add as much as 1,500 km of new coastline to Dubai’s existing natural 67 km of natural shoreline in the total emirate.
The first project, Palm Jumeirah, doubled Dubai’s shoreline and put the city on the international stage.
The Palm Jebel Ali, the second island, is 50 per cent larger than Palm Jumeirah and will be home to 250,000 people.
Palm Deira is the largest man-made island in the world and will be home to more than one million people when completed.
http://www.xpress4me.com/news/uae/dubai/20005364.html
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #515
stealt

Likes (Received): 5

great article, thanks
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:54 PM   #516
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Just curious....if the old design has been thrown out, why does the thread title still contain height and floor count?
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #517
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Thats the most accurate data we have about the new design
dettol no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #518
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

It's been quite some time since I've visited this site, and last time I was here, I was under the assumption that this tower was not going to be constructed.

Now I'm confused though, and I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what is to happen with this project? Do they have a new design or something? Or is this still not going to happen?
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #519
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

we have a new design (but we dont know what it is) and it looks like it will be constructed because they are currently soil testing.
xXFallenXx no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #520
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Alright, cool. Thank you.

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai