daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #541
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

spire

this is how the spire looked at the """""former"""" design.

Like you can see it had 2 spires, in the artcle they wrote like it was said before, about ONE central spire. So it can be they only changed the spiredesign. But we will see. I am preety sure we will see renders soon.

Imo with the arrival of Soletanche Bachy we can be sure that this one will be build. i mean why they should stage something?

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #542
Wolle
Zehlendorf Mobster

Likes (Received): 1

Well, I kinda liked the old design, so it wouldn´t be too bad if they just changed the spire layout.

Although a twin-spire works better with the "old" design of the tower.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #543
PurePaki
HalfIndian

Likes (Received): 132

the old design is breathtaking
they better come with a great design
PurePaki no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #544
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing
Why did that wjfox guy censor so many people? What could three people have said that was so wrong? Even mbuildings had his comment deleted, and the only thing he ever says is 'Stunning!'
Excactly. Saying just that in each and every thread is spamming.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #545
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Excactly. Saying just that in each and every thread is spamming.
Exactly. We are sick of every single thread being filled up with crap. Think of it this way, does a post saying "stunning" contribute anything of use?
malec no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #546
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePaki View Post
the old design is breathtaking
they better come with a great design
IMO the old design wasn't so great. The facade looks really bad on the visualisations, it needs more glass. But the old design was very interesting in the way that it was in fact three towers jointed together on certain floors. About 1000m with no central core! I am really curious if they keep this model or bring us some monolith structure.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #547
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

It looked great in the night renders but not during the day
malec no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #548
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3401

Compared to Burj Dubai there was already some construction going on when they started to build the Burj. But it seams that the Al Burj will build alone. But i also think this will change. Hopefully they will build a big complex around that tower.

Tom_Green no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #549
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13283

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Why did that wjfox guy censor so many people? What could three people have said that was so wrong? Even mbuildings had his comment deleted, and the only thing he ever says is 'Stunning!'
Exactly. This kind of unproductive posting isn't warranted here.
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #550
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
Compared to Burj Dubai there was already some construction going on when they started to build the Burj. But it seams that the Al Burj will build alone. But i also think this will change. Hopefully they will build a big complex around that tower.
The current location shows it will probably stand near the Arabian Canal and there should be many highrises around that so I think you should not worry about Al Burj standing alone.
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #551
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

@ Tom Green

They need some ""smaller""" towers around 400 - 500m to bring down this one a bit, otherwise it would stick toooo out in the skyline. I mean it will be nearly 3 tims taller than Almas and Almas sticks reallly out in JLT!
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #552
Bogusinski
Leśny Babaj

Likes (Received): 0

- deleted -

Last edited by wjfox; January 30th, 2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spam
Bogusinski no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #553
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
@ Tom Green

They need some ""smaller""" towers around 400 - 500m to bring down this one a bit, otherwise it would stick toooo out in the skyline. I mean it will be nearly 3 tims taller than Almas and Almas sticks really out in JLT!
Just across the Arabian Canal, was supposed to be build a 460 meters tall REGENT HOTEL with the shape inspired by the Lotus (flower). Some months ago Rezidor Hotel Representatives said that the hotel will not go on on that specific site.

We hope it is coming back, considering that work resumed on some of the other buildings that were part of the same complex called Canal Point.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #554
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoN-SK View Post
IMO the old design wasn't so great. The facade looks really bad on the visualisations, it needs more glass. But the old design was very interesting in the way that it was in fact three towers jointed together on certain floors. About 1000m with no central core! I am really curious if they keep this model or bring us some monolith structure.
The side walls were 1.5 meters thick reinforced concrete and they were responsible for the structural integrity of the tower but they were not good for the interiour layouts and side windows. It is said that this is one of the main reasons for the redesign.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #555
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The side walls were 1.5 meters thick reinforced concrete and they were responsible for the structural integrity of the tower but they were not good for the interiour layouts and side windows. It is said that this is one of the main reasons for the redesign.
Ah, a pity, I was really a fan of this structural solution, it's really unique, especially for such tall tower. So the new design will probably be classic central core structure... And probably whole reinforced concrete? Pumping concrete to 1 000 meters, that sounds like sci-fi. Or will this monster be partially concrete partially steel structure as Burj Dubai? Can't wait to see the new design...
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #556
Mpol

Likes (Received): 60

Can I ask... these huge towers in Dubai... will the office space too much or are these monsters filling up with business?
Mpol no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #557
AltinD
The Modecator

And what makes you think that these towers are all-office as in North America? You know, people can also live or enjoy the nice hotel room on them.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #558
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
this is how the spire looked at the """""former"""" design.

Like you can see it had 2 spires, in the artcle they wrote like it was said before, about ONE central spire. So it can be they only changed the spiredesign. But we will see. I am preety sure we will see renders soon.

Imo with the arrival of Soletanche Bachy we can be sure that this one will be build. i mean why they should stage something?
"topped by a 200-metre central spire with a three level function area and three service floors"

this sounds like the spire will have floors. if yes will not be a boring mast like on Times Tower in NY
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:46 AM   #559
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Nakheel tight-lipped on Burj Dubai rival

TALLEST TOWER: An initial artist's impression of Nakheel's Al Burj.Dubai-owned developer Nakheel on Wednesday remained tight-lipped about details of its rival to the Burj Dubai, refusing to reveal the building’s final height, when it will be finished or even its name.

Work has now begun on the site of the building, commonly called Al Burj or the Tall Tower, intensifying speculation over whether Nakheel is planning to take the Burj Dubai's crown as the tallest building in the world.

According to initial designs that put Al Burj at over a kilometre high, the building would easily overtake Emaar Properties' Burj Dubai as the world's tallest.

The Burj Dubai is expected to be around 900 metres upon completion at the end of this year, although the final height remains a closely guarded secret.

A spokesperson for Nakheel said the company was still finalising details for the structure and was unable to reveal its height or when it would be completed.

"They're [the details of the project] not yet available," the spokesperson told ArabianBusiness.com.

On the name of the building, the spokesperson said Al Burj was a "working title".

Previous reports have stated the project will be officially unveiled in March, but the spokesperson said that date was unrealistic and a launch would more likely take place "sometime toward the end of the first half of this year".

The Al Burj project has been under development for some time, first announced back in 2006.

The tower was initially planned to form part of the Dubai Waterfront development, but the location was moved to between Jumeirah Lake Towers and Ibn Battuta Mall on Sheikh Zayed Road.

Magazine Construction Week on Tuesday revealed French company Soletanche Bachy was tipped to win the piling and foundations contract for Al Burj, citing sources close to the project.

RELATED: Work begins on Nakheel's Al Burj

Initial designs for the tower indicate there will be 228 floors, a four level basement and one service sub-level.

The total built up area will be 1.49 million square metres, with 492,000 square metres of usable space. The development will house offices, apartments and hotels.

The top habitable floor will be at 850 metres, topped by a 200-metre central spire with a three level function area and three service floors.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/50977...ai-rival?ln=en
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:03 AM   #560
Dubai Spacescraper

Likes (Received): 1

I'm glad there getting lots of work done but not saying anything instead of the opposite.
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai