daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 8th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #41
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

so many stupid comments, get informed people.
al burj will be on dubai waterfont which is expected to house hundreds of hotels, about 500000 people in hundreds of highrises.

thanks luv2bebrown for telling all the people , again and again what is actually true in an unbiased and reasonable way!
dubaiflo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #42
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

How about we forget about all this Dubai vs the world () bullshit and focus on the towers.

What I find weird is that while some people completely hate Al Burj, while others love it. We should have a burj dubai vs al burj poll
malec no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #43
Eastender

Likes (Received): 4

it seems dubai is getting competition from kuwait: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...06#post6536806

Last edited by Eastender; December 9th, 2005 at 01:45 AM.
Eastender no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:55 AM   #44
pacyderm

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKing
"I mean, i don't think its Arab nature to be democratic. You haven't quite reached that level of civilization yet."

Now your just getting sad. Etnocentricity at its peak. The "ideal" "civilization" in arab world, or other parts of the world, may not be like the "ideal civilization" as considered in western europe. Europeans are often to proud of themselves, and yes, im a european myself.

"It's amazing how a bunch of skyscrapers and synthetic islands make dubai the center of the universe. It's also amazing at how quickly you have just become as cocky or more so than 3/4 of the people in th"is world because of them."

Your kidding me!? Of course your proud of DUbai if you live there. Just as New Yorkers are proud of NYC.

Synthethic, nothing bad with that. Skyscrapers is the future in the ever more populated world.

I know that wasn't my point. I was saying that they automatically dismiss anyones questions and then start talking rudely to the person(thinking that they were talking bad about dubai) because that person is trying to ask an honest question.

Oh and just for the record I love dubai. I think it is amazing what they are doing, but I still wonder if the economy and population in dubai will be able to sustain such massive and rapid growth.
pacyderm no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #45
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

It should cool down soon.
malec no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:00 AM   #46
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Aswell, wasn't the UAE one of the biggest doners to people after the Pakistan earthquake?
malec no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #47
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

The guy said the UAE has given the world nothing but black liquid that pollutes.
malec no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #48
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

The UAE raised its cash donation into 200 million
smussuw no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #49
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
exactly, if people find Dubai's growth hard to believe, just look at NYC from like 1895-1929. NYC had millions of immigrants move to the city, and manhattan island was transformed into a skyscraper jungle.

if manhattan could do in a bigger way back in the 20s, why cant Dubai do today?
NY has always been the gateway to a vast fertile continent. It has a hinterland to provide for its needs (i.e an abundance of fresh water, farming land, etc.). Dubai ,and the whole Arabian for that matter, has nothing but oil-which is not lasting. Add to that the much tolerable weather & its connection to Europe and open society.
Harkeb no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #50
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

it really is a rumour. there is no report on it. construction on the island itself is continuing.

dubai loves to create gossip. the whole burj al arab is sinking was so fashionable that i thought it was true back in 2000. but the truth is, the island is not sinking. the island is not floating, therefore it cannot sink.

to this day, many people in dubai still believe in the "bubble city"
luv2bebrown no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #51
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
dubai loves to create gossip. the whole burj al arab is sinking was so fashionable that i thought it was true back in 2000. but the truth is, the island is not sinking. the island is not floating, therefore it cannot sink.
Something doesn't need to float to make it sink. Kansai Airport is sinking for example.

Quote:
to this day, many people in dubai still believe in the "bubble city"
Bubble: like in a SF proposal of a 'flying city' or do you mean 'bubble' like in property bubble?
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #52
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

A flying city.

Other examples of hoax dubai projects are mountain city, chess city and rotating city.
malec no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #53
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
It should cool down soon.
pessimistic as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkerb
Dubai ,and the whole Arabian for that matter, has nothing but oil-which is not lasting. Add to that the much tolerable weather & its connection to Europe and open society.
it seems like this is enough to be the world's fastest growing city.
dubaiflo no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #54
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
Gentlemen gentlemen... how can we forget PICTURES!!!

Dubai Waterfront

THAT.......is some hot shit! As much as Dubai bothers me sometimes, I think this city will be a wonder of the earth in the near future. On Megastructures today....they showed the construction of the "Palms"...as well as the plans for the other Palms and the World.
ReddAlert no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #55
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

i assume altind has forgotten to post this one here, so i did it

[img]http://************/idh9n8.jpg[/img]

it was first planned to be in the centre of the trunk on palm jumeirah

to avoid any misunderstandings, this tower will not stand alone, it's part of the 82 million sqmeter dubai waterfront, of which parts will look like this

more renders and facts on
www.dubaiwaterfront.ae

[img]http://************/dw502g.jpg[/img]

[img]http://************/dr42z9.jpg[/img]

the masterplan

[img]
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #56
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddAlert
THAT.......is some hot shit! As much as Dubai bothers me sometimes, I think this city will be a wonder of the earth in the near future. On Megastructures today....they showed the construction of the "Palms"...as well as the plans for the other Palms and the World.
The Palm was shown on Megastructures? I want to see that sometime.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora  
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #57
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

Al Burj to rival Burj Dubai

Dubai

Dubai developer Nakheel’s Al Burj tower, proposed to be built as part of the Dubai Waterfront project, is expected to rival the Burj Dubai, which is being built to be the tallest tower in the world when completed.

Burj Dubai is being developed by another prominent Dubai builder Emaar Properties and construction is now under way.
Al Burj, initially planned to be developed on the Palm Jumeirah’s trunk, was later shifted to the Dubai Waterfront. Both are Nakheel’s projects. However, the final height of both towers remains a secret.
“At the moment, I can only say that Al Burj will be at least 700-m tall and one of the tallest towers in the world,” said Robert Lee, Nakheel’s director for development.
“Al Burj will be a mixed-use project with a combination of offices and residences. We are currently working on its design.” Construction officials are certain that it will be higher than Burj Dubai.
“I can’t imagine anyone spending so much money to raise it up to 700 m and not make it the tallest tower. It would be foolish of any developer not to stretch further to make it the tallest one in the world,” said an official of a large contracting company.
Meanwhile, Dubai Waterfront, the world’s largest waterfront development, has announced that its masterplan has been completed by the renowned architectural and planning firm Gruzen Samton.
The master plan, which was first visualised in January, has evolved following months of strategic planning and a meticulous preparation process. It includes a detailed plan of Phase One of Madinat Al Arab featuring development control and design regulations. Affection plans have also been provided for each investor detailing a map of their land plot and usage, its size and location, as well as height restrictions and built-up area specifications.
The exceptional sales of Phase One, which sold out in July for Dh13 billion ($3.54 billion) within just five days of its unveiling, highlights the confidence of investors in how well planned Dubai Waterfront is as a development, said a spokesman.
The project plans to be a world-class destination at the heart of the new Dubai. The master plan integrates Madinat Al Arab, a vibrant downtown surrounded by water and located on the main harbour at the heart of the project.
A particular emphasis has also been put on infrastructure through planned roads and other amenities that will meet the demands of the rising population. The destination, which is set to become a benchmark for integrated development, is strategically located for direct access to Dubai’s Sheikh Zayed Road, the Jebel Ali Free Zone, Abu Dhabi, the planned Jebel Ali Airport and has also taken into account the planned metro link-up, he said.
Madinat Al Arab will be anchored by Al Burj tower. The downtown will feature resorts, retail, commercial spaces, public spaces, a mix of residences and an integrated transport network including light rail and sophisticated road network.
James Wilson, chief executive officer, Nakheel and Dubai Waterfront, said: “Dubai Waterfront is an ambitious and modern project which is destined to become an international icon, ultimately serving as the gateway to the Arabian Canal.”
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #58
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu_Bastak
I love dubai n all, but a competing tower with burj dubai isnt nice..., i would like to see this, say around 700 m or so, but not as the tallest.

In my view Burj Dubai, looks better, sounds better and since it has dubai in its name is much better advertising to be the worlds tallest
malec no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #59
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

This project isn't new and it isn’t going up anytime soon. I would say 2008 to 2009 would be the time likely to see this beast being constructed.

The tower itself may look ugly, but it isn't. As a matter of fact, it can look amazing at some views, but it is never going to be as special as Burj Dubai - design wise. Burj Dubai is not only the most elegant tower, but it is also located in the most prestigious spot that is ever going to be constructed. This is an opinion that is shared among many towers enthusiasts like me.

I would like to note that Dubai is not going to be done with the current ultra-Giga projects any time soon. Ten years are needed for most of the projects to appear, but ten other years are needed for them to reach the level of saturation. By then, 1.3 would be swapped to 3.1m.

Good luck Nakheel with this project, and hopefully it turns out to be well.
Old December 16th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #60
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Great for Dubai... But I'm not sure the city even exists, it's so unbeleivable.
Jaye101 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai