daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #721
EMPIREOFLIGHTS
FINISH THE CHICAGO SPIRE

Likes (Received): 2

Sure can't wait for the revealing of the new design,as we all are. I liked the former one,well the night pic of it lit up from the lake anyway.

Last edited by EMPIREOFLIGHTS; February 12th, 2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: addition
EMPIREOFLIGHTS no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #722
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Altin, I'm assuming that you were there around the time that Burj Dubai broke ground?
I understand that at the time the whole area was notoriously difficult to see, but do you have (or indeed Imre, or O.T.R) have any idea how the preparation area around this site and that of BD differ in size?
I've been around since Buej Al Arab opened and Emirates Towers weren't completed yet.

The boarded area around BD was and still is huge and it can be seen in any aerial picture, no matter how recent it is. A couple of days ago I re-discovered a 3 years old pic of the site that I was storing in Imagestation, however as of today I can't access any more my pictures stored there (SONY closed that site already).

In contrast the boarded area for Al Burj site is relatively small at the moment, and covers only the area they are currently working at, which should consists of the basement of the tower.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #723
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
just pick on me why dont you, Im just giving my opinion on this like I have many other projects through this forum. My personal opinion, I dont like it. If you dont like my opinion then i guess that your problem.
So it is just a massive coincidence that every project you dont like is being built in Dubai?? Or maybe you're just ever so slightly racist or maybe jealous, not too sure. I understand that some projects in Dubai arent brilliant. I don't like the universe at all, and am not too fond of the index for example. However you post in every single dubai thread saying you hate the project or its disgusting, or dubai will become a ghost town etc.etc.etc. Ever heard the expression if you havent got anything nice to say don't say anything at all???
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #724
TEKKEN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Dubai is building for the future.Many towers and buildings are empty now.
TEKKEN no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #725
AltinD
The Modecator

Which ones, those currently under construction or the ones to be built in the future?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #726
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

maybe he means rose lottana but unfortunatelly its not open for public before april
Densetsu no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #727
AltinD
The Modecator

Rose Rotana is a HOTEL ... and why should he reffer especially to that particular tower?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #728
TEKKEN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Which ones, those currently under construction or the ones to be built in the future?
those who are built
TEKKEN no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #729
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKKEN View Post
those who are built
Which one (once again)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #730
rgarrison

Likes (Received): 12

Most of the residential towers in Dubai are sold out before before the constructions at ground level. I haven't heard of any "empty" towers. If anything theres a residential shortage when compared to the demand.
rgarrison no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #731
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarrison View Post
Most of the residential towers in Dubai are sold out before before the constructions at ground level. I haven't heard of any "empty" towers. If anything theres a residential shortage when compared to the demand.
how do you know this? I'd like to see an article or some numbers if you have them, thanks. I'm not doubting you, but everyone here is saying things, but not posting actual numbers or published articles to back it up.
cbotnyse no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #732
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 110

The apartments are all sold very soon, that's true... but if they are occupied is another question... most people here in this forum just don't understand this big difference...
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #733
AltinD
The Modecator

Most people in this forum also don't understand that Dubai is a resort holiday town and many people buy holiday homes here, as they do in the Mediterranian Cost in Europe.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #734
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Most people in this forum also don't understand that Dubai is a resort holiday town and many people buy holiday homes here, as they do in the Mediterranian Cost in Europe.
I understand that just fine. I'm just looking for some actual sales figures and such. I love Dubai and really hope it does well. The growth is unmatched anywhere on Earth.

If this particular tower becomes reality and is built to these amazing heights, I will make it a point to visit sometime.
cbotnyse no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #735
Architek

Likes (Received): 202

I think you make a good point cbotnyse, I really wish some numbers where available as to what is being purchased and by who, and if its just investors or if its end-users. And i'm not talking about government issued numbers hopefully something done by a group of banks or economist, I wish dubai success but its honestly starting to scare me since the residential market across the world is flat lining and the world economy is mostly in a nosedive it has to be a matter of time before dubai does the same. Or it probably aleady did and they trying to keep it on the down low.
Architek no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #736
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 110

What is really weird to me is the following:

Maybe they will build Al Burj between Discovery Gardens and the Marina but they haven't made any announcement of a larger Development around it yet, there wouldn't even be much space!
Since a 800m or even higher tower CAN'T be profitable (unless you charge really ridiculous prices) they need something like a Cash Cow to finance it (for example Burj Dubai Oldtown, Burj Dubai Apartment Towers, etc.).
Nakheel is a huge developer, they can take the money from all the other ongoing projects but it would be so strange if the cash-needing Landmark-1000m-Tower is very far away from the cash-providing volume-development.

Is the prestige of having the highest tower on earth so valuable for Nakheel that they would risk a loss on this project?
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #737
silencer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architek View Post
I think you make a good point cbotnyse, I really wish some numbers where available as to what is being purchased and by who, and if its just investors or if its end-users. And i'm not talking about government issued numbers hopefully something done by a group of banks or economist, I wish dubai success but its honestly starting to scare me since the residential market across the world is flat lining and the world economy is mostly in a nosedive it has to be a matter of time before dubai does the same. Or it probably aleady did and they trying to keep it on the down low.
I think this discussion is a little out of reality. Where is the world resedential market down. As i know there is a problem in united states and Great Britain. But at the same time you have a larger request in russia, china and other parts of europe. I think thats also a part of this world and as i know the bigger one. And for addition the economies of this other part of world isnt in a nosedive. Only the stockmarket is temproarly instable in this area.
I think we should talk about buildings, new technolgys to realize them and the art of modern architecture.
silencer no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #738
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Btw I believe at later phase of this construction some of the photo will be taken from the observation deck of BD showing the structure at a distance...

That will be so orgasmic...

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #739
blaxxxbla
Tierra Mestiza

Likes (Received): 41

How high can the ego of a person get no matter what?

On one hand we are talking about that the factor that contributes the most to the global warming is the creation of electricity, we have to burn CO or Oil to do that; and on the other hand we support the idea of having a building in the world that will probably consume the electricity of a 6000 people small town (or more) daily just to please somebody's ego. THAT'S JUST NUTS and selfish!
blaxxxbla no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #740
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

Consolidating an entire town into a single building probably saves energy.
TowerJunkie no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai