daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #741
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
how do you know this? I'd like to see an article or some numbers if you have them, thanks. I'm not doubting you, but everyone here is saying things, but not posting actual numbers or published articles to back it up.
I have read that Dubai is approximately either 60,000 or 200,000 (I cant remember which one, but either way, thats still alot) apartments short (Metropolis Magazine). When I get home, I can look up the exact number.
Joy Machine no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #742
pierretoulouse
pierretoulouse

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaxxxbla View Post
How high can the ego of a person get no matter what?

On one hand we are talking about that the factor that contributes the most to the global warming is the creation of electricity, we have to burn CO or Oil to do that; and on the other hand we support the idea of having a building in the world that will probably consume the electricity of a 6000 people small town (or more) daily just to please somebody's ego. THAT'S JUST NUTS and selfish!
The building will host far more than 6000 peoples so in fact it will save energy.
pierretoulouse no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #743
westisbest
Justice for the 96

Likes (Received): 160

Also people buy to rent, so tenents come and go

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
westisbest no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #744
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
I have read that Dubai is approximately either 60,000 or 200,000 (I cant remember which one, but either way, thats still alot) apartments short (Metropolis Magazine). When I get home, I can look up the exact number.
I found the article you mentioned. very good article, thanks...

"Right now 60,000 apartment units are coming on line this year, and they’re 200,000 short of what’s needed. I have to get new office space; I can’t find any. And yet there are more cranes here than the whole rest of the world put together. How many Americans understand that? None! Because they’re not here."
cbotnyse no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #745
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

That's exagerated.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #746
Smack!!
Skyscraper Obsessed

Likes (Received): 0

I can sware I posted here! and why did my post get deleted after I said:

Any new updates on this monster?

Building Dubai...

Smack!! no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #747
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack!! View Post
I can sware I posted here! and why did my post get deleted after I said:

Any new updates on this monster?
If someone has new updates, he will post it, there is no need to bump thread up if there is nothing new to post or talk about...

There is still excavation going on so no need to update it every day, the only thing we would see is a hole in the ground getting bigger...
LeMoN-SK no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #748
Smack!!
Skyscraper Obsessed

^oh ok, didnt know, delete it then

Building Dubai...

Smack!! no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #749
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2859

^it's not necessarily anything personal, this thread will consistantly be filled with irrelevant posts until the day a render is released, ideally with an article confirming construction has started. Until then the moderators are trying to keep this thread as clean as possible, and have deleted 100s of posts over the last coupld of weeks. Chances are yours was removed for no reason other than the 10 posts before yours and the ten posts after yours were also removed. This post wont last long either, im just doing it to give will a bit more work.
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #750
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
That's exagerated.
how do you know? If you have any relevant numbers, please share. I think Dubai is a fascinating study of supply and demand and I really would like to learn more about how a city that barely existed 50 years ago now has some of the tallest and most numerous skyscrapers on Earth. Yet I have seen very little actual data from the demand side.

Last edited by cbotnyse; February 15th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #751
AltinD
The Modecator

There are NO 60,000 units to come in the market this year, there will be hardly 6,000 and NO, there is no need for additional 200,000 as of now.

What evidences, I live here ... for many years, since before the property boom.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #752
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
There are NO 60,000 units to come in the market this year, there will be hardly 6,000 and NO, there is no need for additional 200,000 as of now.

What evidences, I live here ... for many years, since before the property boom.
Hardly 6000? ssp.com list 196 buildings currently under construction. http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?34570321.0 There are also 73 currently proposed and 300 already built!

Of course not all are residential, but the majority are or they are mixed use. It seems like much more than 6,000 units. Forget about this year or not, I'm interested in seeing if the demand is outreaching the massive supply and some kind of data to back that up.
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #753
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

I doubt you are going to be able to see written proof of the demand. It is typical when construction booms happen that there is a relusting glut of space, but for how long? This is the true question.

Sure it's always a huge gamble, but from what I have read about Dubai, it's much less of a gamble than the gluts we have produced in this country during our building booms. Personally I think they have a pretty good plan and with the business climate they have there, I think they'll be building for many more years just to keep up with the demand.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #754
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Altin, we're just reporting what we read in Metropolis Magazine. lol don't shoot the messengers. It's the only thing I had to go off of. I have no idea where they got their numbers. But obviously if high rises are consistently selling out in just a few short days after release, then that makes a statement of a current demand. As for numbers such as 200,000 under, they may be juggling some things around. Who knows, everyone always over estimates.
Joy Machine no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #755
AltinD
The Modecator

What I objected is the prediction for the year 2008. They just mixed up the overall 5 years or so figures, and presented them as those of a single year.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #756
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
hmm, let me see. Dubai is the FASTEST growing city in the world. thats a start. they wouldn't be building this tower if it wasn't going to be used. and if u look at alot of dubai's projects there mostly sold out. so there's a bigger demand then u think
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarrison View Post
Most of the residential towers in Dubai are sold out before before the constructions at ground level. I haven't heard of any "empty" towers. If anything theres a residential shortage when compared to the demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
I doubt you are going to be able to see written proof of the demand.
If thats the case, why do I keep reading posts like these? I was just questioning those comments and looking for something to back those up. And trust me, I'm not cynical here. I really want to see Dubai do well, but a building boom like this seems unprecedented. Its really a great study of city building and supply and demand.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #757
cooperchris

Dubai has much more homes and apartments being built than it currently needs. But if they keep building more and more mega projects like BD, Al Burj, the World etc and 'smaller' 300m skyscrapers, that creates hype, and hype creates DEMAND.
cooperchris no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #758
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoN-SK View Post
If someone has new updates, he will post it, there is no need to bump thread up if there is nothing new to post or talk about...

There is still excavation going on so no need to update it every day, the only thing we would see is a hole in the ground getting bigger...

Then go over to that other skyscraper website and tell the Chicago Spire groupies to cut their posts by 90%. It will still be a huge thread at that.

beyond 1000 no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #759
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
^it's not necessarily anything personal, this thread will consistantly be filled with irrelevant posts until the day a render is released, ideally with an article confirming construction has started. Until then the moderators are trying to keep this thread as clean as possible, and have deleted 100s of posts over the last coupld of weeks. Chances are yours was removed for no reason other than the 10 posts before yours and the ten posts after yours were also removed. This post wont last long either, im just doing it to give will a bit more work.

Hey Nez,

read my last post above on the Chicago Spire. You think Al Burj thread is bad. By the time they are upto the lobby level it will have more posts than the completed Burj Dubai thread, especially on that other MONDO EGO skyscraper website.
beyond 1000 no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #760
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2859

Good for them, at least we get pictures every day on that thread, and the discussion is generally based around the building. The last page of posts on this thread has been about nothing but supply and demand in Dubai, I don't remember the last time someone even mentioned al burj!

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai