daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #881
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

The height in the title was changed to 1462m so is this height now confirmed?
germantower no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #882
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Floor plan

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #883
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

New breakthrough in starting the project of MILE Tower(1600m)!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...500019&page=11

This tower is the new competitor!
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #884
Rafal.Druzkowski

Likes (Received): 0

This is terrifying!
Rafal.Druzkowski no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #885
Banjaluchanin
Say no to the Narco state

Likes (Received): 4

OMG!
Banjaluchanin no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #886
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
The height in the title was changed to 1462m so is this height now confirmed?
NO, it is NOT confirmed. We are taking the word of a single forumer. The title should not have been changed.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #887
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

1050m changed 1462m??? why they like height one?? fuc...shi....t!! i'm so jealous!!
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #888
jlh630

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
NO, it is NOT confirmed. We are taking the word of a single forumer. The title should not have been changed.
A single forumer who never even bothered to say where he got the figure from. How did the title get changed?
jlh630 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #889
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
There's much more then soil testing is going on, I visited the site myself over the weekend and preparatory work were going on. Those huge machines are not for soil testing but for very deep digging of slurry walls. We have seen such machines in actions while constructing the underground Dubai Metro stations and/or tracks using cut and cover technique.
yes indeed those machines are for pillings and slurry walls..that will prepare the site for a huge digging
just wanted to add that the floor number has increased that is my believe I hope 250fl+
giovani kun no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #890
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Well I don't really care how tall the building is. To me, making a really tall building is like trying to compete who's got a bigger *****.

What matters much more is if it's well designed, as long as it is, it would be the same to me whether it's 500 ft or 50,000 ft

From a practical point of view, I dont see a reason for building something so huge yet, skyscrapers, imo, should be necessitated by market forces, building something really may not be the smartest of ideas...

which leads back to why such a tower is built in the first place. If it's actually necessitated, I would respect it, if everyone is just competing and trying to build the biggest tower... it's absurd.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #891
yl75
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Well I don't really care how tall the building is. To me, making a really tall building is like trying to compete who's got a bigger *****.

What matters much more is if it's well designed, as long as it is, it would be the same to me whether it's 500 ft or 50,000 ft

From a practical point of view, I dont see a reason for building something so huge yet, skyscrapers, imo, should be necessitated by market forces, building something really may not be the smartest of ideas...

which leads back to why such a tower is built in the first place. If it's actually necessitated, I would respect it, if everyone is just competing and trying to build the biggest tower... it's absurd.
In fact in any case a tower is NEVER necessitated, if by that you mean that increasing density would necessitate a tower.

Indeed it is a known fact that especially for apartments buildings, towers or skyscrapers are mathematically a BAD building form to increase density compared to slabs or courtyard buildings, see for instance :

Quote:
Lionel March and Leslie Martin have made a major contribution to this discussion. (Leslie Martin and Lionel March, Land Use and Built Form, Cambridge Research, Cambridge University, April 1966.) Using the ratio of built floor area to total site area as a measure of density and the semi-depth of the building as a measure of daylight conditions, they have compared three different arrangements of building and open space, which they call S0, S1 und S2.

Three building types

Of the three arrangements, S2, in which buildings surround the outdoors with thin wings, gives the best daylight conditions for a fixed density. It also gives the highest density for a fixed level of daylight.
http://www.uni-weimar.de/architektur...07/ca_107.html

So building skyscrapers for appartment buildings, except maybe in very specific places like at the South of a nonconstructible area, never has any rational reason at the scale of the city, it is always a "I want a high tower" reason (and in that sense appartments buildings skyscrapers can be considered as an anti modern generic building form, even if this is counter intuitive, note that for office buildings it is a bit different as the building can be "fatter")

Last edited by yl75; March 5th, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
yl75 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #892
paul.c.martens

Likes (Received): 4

[QUOTE=gladisimo;18849716]Well I don't really care how tall the building is. To me, making a really tall building is like trying to compete who's got a bigger *****.

QUOTE]

What is the harm in some competition? Its not perfect, but it can be fun.

Also, don't be too quick to say market forces aren't at work here. Tourism is a major industry. Last time I checked, tourist draw does equate to cash put into an economy which draws tourists.

This is of course coming from someone who lives on a little parcel of land that's part of a 27,000 acre tourist development. You might have heard of it: Disney World? It completely changed the economy and growth of the central florida region its located in. At the time of its initial construction, it was the largest construction project in the world.

One big project attracts others, it attracts business and like minded people. Central Florida has radically grown in the last 35 years because of one sole (but ambitious) intial project. Now, growth doesn't always happen when you build a megaproject, but it can. So, I disagree, there are some market forces at work, you just aren't aware of them.

Last edited by paul.c.martens; March 6th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
paul.c.martens no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #893
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yl75 View Post
In fact in any case a tower is NEVER necessitated, if by that you mean that increasing density would necessitate a tower.

Indeed it is a known fact that especially for apartments buildings, towers or skyscrapers are mathematically a BAD building form to increase density compared to slabs or courtyard buildings, see for instance :

http://www.uni-weimar.de/architektur...07/ca_107.html

So building skyscrapers for appartment buildings, except maybe in very specific places like at the South of a nonconstructible area, never has any rational reason at the scale of the city, it is always a "I want a high tower" reason (and in that sense appartments buildings skyscrapers can be considered as an anti modern generic building form, even if this is counter intuitive, note that for office buildings it is a bit different as the building can be "fatter")
You do realize that this article only takes into account two factors, namely natural lighting and apparent density as a measure of built up area to plot size. This is a marginal study of physics at best and differs in many ways from the real world.

This doesn't take into account many other factors that are present in the real world which would detract from this theoretical model. A simple one would be the following: the cost of artificial lighting that may be needed for a 50 storey building may be much less than what is needed for the infrastructure, land, and taxes, among other things, whose costs may exceed that of the skyscraper should 25 2 story buildings be built in place of it, especially in a place where land is in high demand, in, for example, many major cities in the world.

Old March 6th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #894
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

[QUOTE=paul.c.martens;18850976]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post

QUOTE]

I have a big *****.

What is the harm in some competition? Its not perfect, but it can be fun.

Also, don't be too quick to say market forces aren't at work here. Tourism is a major industry. Last time I checked, tourist draw does equate to cash put into an economy which draws tourists.

This is of course coming from someone who lives on a little parcel of land that's part of a 27,000 acre tourist development. You might have heard of it: Disney World? It completely changed the economy and growth of the central florida region its located in. At the time of its initial construction, it was the largest construction project in the world.

One big project attracts others, it attracts business and like minded people. Central Florida has radically grown in the last 35 years because of one sole (but ambitious) intial project. Now, growth doesn't always happen when you build a megaproject, but it can. So, I disagree, there are some market forces at work, you just aren't aware of them.
You detracted from my original point, where I emphasized that to me, the design of a building is much more important than the size.

I do not mind a size comparison, the intention of my post was expressing my opinion that, hopefully, this building won't be ugly. Burj Dubai, for example, is really tall, and beat many records, but I love it.

Since there aren't any final renders for this building yet, I was simply stating my hope that the building will be well conceived, and won't put quantity over quality.

You have to realize, that I've stated, again and again, the Dubai is a gamble, I'm certainly aware of market forces that are taking place, especially with the growth of Dubai's image around the world it seems to be paying off, and, in the face of people with such huge amounts of capital, this may not be a problem.

I suppose it comes down to two things. 1) Personally, I hope this will be a good looking building. 2) I've yet to see the usable floor area of this building, Dubai is attracting enough attention as it is, I'm wondering the wisdom in building something like this, especially when we already have a Burj Dubai around the corner.

btw, i've never dismissed market forces, market forces are at work everywhere, and about tourists, please check where i'm from, you'd be a fool to think that I didn't already know that tourists play a big part. However, Dubai's development is not positioning itself to simply be a tourist destination, but Dubai's investment is much larger and more vast than Disneyworld, it aims to position itself as a global city, and the gateway to the Middle East.

Dubai, and much of the UAE actually marks the Middle East's attempt to diversify and secure a prominance and foothold in the world's affair of things.

Old March 6th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #895
Adams3

Likes (Received): 8

Dubai is also very close to the massively populated western part of the sub-continent which is the most developed part with Mumbai, Karachi and Dehli at the core. That will be a big bonus for Dubai as the sub-continent develops further.
Adams3 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #896
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Height taken out of title. Nobody really knows anything until there's an official announcement
malec no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #897
LoverOfDubai

Did anyone notice this post other than me? Does this mean that the images that were posted on flickr were just fakes pretending to be Nakheel's redesign of Al Burj. Sky Tower said those are the images he received from Nakheel, but Pei Partnership's website says this project is for Limitless. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
OK, whats left...design end height of the building. Who are the architects of the new building? Pei Partnerschip i think with the new design! I cant see it on ther website: http://www.ppa-ny.com/projects/jebelAil/Jebel.htm

end its a new name!
Jebel-Ali Tower?
Jebel-Ali Tower and Retail Complex Dubai,United Arab Emirates

This project is one of two flagship developments marking the 2006 launch of Limitless, a new development division of Dubai World. Pei Partnership Architects is honored to have been asked by a former client, now the CEO of Limitless, to help establish the image and standards of his new company. The project is being developed under strict cost constraints. The design brief calls for a mixed-use development of 620 one or two bedroom apartments in two towers of appoximately 47,000m2 each, and rental office space in two towers of approximately 65,000m2each. A feature intended to become a Dubai landmark is the gallery that runs from a street entrance at the south to almost the north end of the complex, a full 285 meters.

Information
-Mixed-used Tower Development
-Primarily residential, the Tower includes a hotel and offices at the lower section and a 10,000,000- square foot mall

???

SOURCE: Pei Partnerschip
LoverOfDubai no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #898
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post
Did anyone notice this post other than me? Does this mean that the images that were posted on flickr were just fakes pretending to be Nakheel's redesign of Al Burj. Sky Tower said those are the images he received from Nakheel, but Pei Partnership's website says this project is for Limitless. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.
Skytower is either wrong or lying. That render is not Al Burj (or so I've heard....) I didn't think it looked like 1400+ meters. A 285m sounds right. And since that's Pei Partnership's official website there's no way they are lying but Skytower is telling the truth. I'm sure he or one of his friends will be in here any time calling me stupid or delusional or threatening to sue me, but I for one am getting really really really sick of being fed false information from him. How many of you remember back in August or so when he assured us that an insider had told us that Al Burj was starting piling in the waterfront "this coming monday".

For the rest of us...we just have to go back to waiting patiently. I have it on authority that we haven't seen Al Burj yet, but I know the wait will be worth it!
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #899
LoverOfDubai

With the Pei website, and Sky Tower's clearly fake image with the height and Nakheel's logo pasted on it, we are back to 1 March (before any of the speculative images were posted).

I noticed that Sky Tower has not commented on this site since when he posted that collage. He might want to reappear to let us know exactly what is going on. It appears as if he just wanted to unleash a storm of speculation and just sat back to watch it happen.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #900
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Your both getting ahead of yourselves and reacting emotionally rather than intellectually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
The so called stubby one...is 1050m tall.
It's Al Burj II, the scaled up version after the original design.
This one is NOT being built.
The second one is probable, the one that Nakheel is pushing for and is +1200m.
Even though there is a relocation and a re-design #3...personally I'm still not convinced this will be final design that will be built.

Although groundwork has already begun....HRH always gets his way...and he wants it bigger!
The reasons for this I have highlighted to select people on this forum as not have a thread full of garbage for lack of knowledge and general misconceptions and misunderstandings.
From experience I know what happens when bombshells are dropped here and I don't have the answers, time or resources at the moment to answer general retaliations and spam as this thread has suffered enough already.
Just to make it perfectly clear...the "Shard Design" is the current "Proposal", is over 1200m and is NOT YET APPROVED....regardless of activity at the site.
It's one of two 1000m+ supertalls that will start construction in Dubai this year although still at the late stages of re-design due to one imposing factor! HRH!
It won't get built, until he says YES.
He is most likely referring to this:

[img]http://i27.************/zl4yg2.jpg[/img]

Im not asking you to beleive anyone, im just asking you to think before you post. Consider the possibilities...
dettol no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai