daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1081
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

[QUOTE=ZZ-II;21909511]pics by charlies7, posted in the UAE Section:

At 1.4km it is almost double the height of Emaar's Burj Dubai, which is expected to reach about 815 metres, and several hundred metres taller than rival towers in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

A spokesman for Nakheel confirms designs for the tower are being finalised and says a launch is expected this year.

Earlier designs for the project showed a building with 228 floors, a four-level basement and one service sub-level – a total built-up area of 1.49 million square metres with 492,000 sq m of useable space.

[QUOTE]

This thing has no economical purpose. it has less than a quarter of the usable space that the wolrd trade center had in ONE TOWER!!!!
The technological advancements for this tower is awsome, but thats all about it. i just think that dubai's making up for something, and trying to copy New York, and Chicago like a spoiled little brat to make its self look bigger than it really is. you can fit the entire US population in these buildings so the city is creating its own downfall by building to much to fast. all these buildings being built will not be fully occupied for at least 10-15 years at the rate there building them. Burj Dubai i can understand, but not this one.
dachacon no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM   #1082
stjern

Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=dachacon;22181942][QUOTE=ZZ-II;21909511]pics by charlies7, posted in the UAE Section:

At 1.4km it is almost double the height of Emaar's Burj Dubai, which is expected to reach about 815 metres, and several hundred metres taller than rival towers in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

A spokesman for Nakheel confirms designs for the tower are being finalised and says a launch is expected this year.

Earlier designs for the project showed a building with 228 floors, a four-level basement and one service sub-level – a total built-up area of 1.49 million square metres with 492,000 sq m of useable space.

Quote:

This thing has no economical purpose. it has less than a quarter of the usable space that the wolrd trade center had in ONE TOWER!!!!
The technological advancements for this tower is awsome, but thats all about it. i just think that dubai's making up for something, and trying to copy New York, and Chicago like a spoiled little brat to make its self look bigger than it really is. you can fit the entire US population in these buildings so the city is creating its own downfall by building to much to fast. all these buildings being built will not be fully occupied for at least 10-15 years at the rate there building them. Burj Dubai i can understand, but not this one.

You are wrong! You just made up some numbers to make the tower look bad, the world trade centre had a floorspace of 800 000 sqm, and thats both the towers. Either you mixed up feet with metres or you just made up soem facts.
stjern no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:42 AM   #1083
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

well actually he's sorta right, because WTC were half the height. And basically dividing 800,000 by 2 gives each one 400,000 sqm of usable space with i think 110 floors compared to 500,000 sqm in 228 floors.
Joy Machine no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1084
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

but that was for the Earlier designs, it's probably much higher now. i'd say its going to be around 900,000 sqm, the taller the building the bigger the base and bigger in sqm's
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1085
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12587

Rise Mother ****** Rise
Hed_Kandi no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #1086
Shortest Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 3

Are there moderators here to controll the bad language?

- Aristotle
Shortest Skyscraper no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #1087
dopeman1
Hard Guy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Rise Mother ****** Rise
Go eat rice
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1088
The-King

Likes (Received): 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeman1 View Post
Go eat rice
you may laugh but I was actually thinking the same and thought of posting a pic of rice, but I don't wanted to go off-topic:
The-King no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1089
dachacon

[QUOTE=stjern;22184137][QUOTE=dachacon;22181942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
pics by charlies7, posted in the UAE Section:

You are wrong! You just made up some numbers to make the tower look bad, the world trade centre had a floorspace of 800 000 sqm, and thats both the towers. Either you mixed up feet with metres or you just made up soem facts.

i think you missed the point. the world trade center did have a little over 800,000 sqm of office space. that is usable space that can be rented out this tower will have 1.49 million sqm of space but only 492,000 will be usable you are talking about a loss of a million sqm of space or 32% of the total area, lost to elevators, stair wells. in terms of economics, it is not a good investment, and just a poor way to get attention before the oil runs out.

p.s. my calculations still holds true. 800,000/2=400,000 for each tower therefore one WTC tower holds 80% of the total usable space of this tower.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1090
dachacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
but that was for the Earlier designs, it's probably much higher now. i'd say its going to be around 900,000 sqm, the taller the building the bigger the base and bigger in sqm's
yeah im not against building this tower, build away, its just that with what we know for sure its not an economical building to build. common sense states that as the tower gets taller the bottom gets bigger. so with the redesign the bottom does get bigger then im all for the tower to get built. its then can serve its true purpose of showing the limits of our imagination
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #1091
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

[QUOTE=dachacon;22216988][QUOTE=stjern;22184137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
i think you missed the point. the world trade center did have a little over 800,000 sqm of office space. that is usable space that can be rented out this tower will have 1.49 million sqm of space but only 492,000 will be usable you are talking about a loss of a million sqm of space or 32% of the total area, lost to elevators, stair wells. in terms of economics, it is not a good investment, and just a poor way to get attention before the oil runs out.
I think your math and a little off. You're actually losing 67% of the total area, it only 33% of the total area is usable based on your numbers. And losing 2/3 of the total area is totally ridiculous and stupid from an economic perspective.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1092
dachacon

[QUOTE=Msradell;22224058][QUOTE=dachacon;22216988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjern View Post
I think your math and a little off. You're actually losing 67% of the total area, it only 33% of the total area is usable based on your numbers. And losing 2/3 of the total area is totally ridiculous and stupid from an economic perspective.
yeah thanks for correcting me, i mixed up the two numbers. i meant to put the 33% as usable space. forgot to proof read.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #1093
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2852

It's fun to speculate about the height and floor space of this building, look how easy it is:

Quote:
The tower will be 7000m tall and have 3.54 million square meters of usable area
Just because you quote something doesn't mean it has any basis in reality at all!
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #1094
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Building 1400 metre high building will attract more people than building 3 460 metre buildings with same money, and in a long run its better for the economy.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #1095
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Building 1400 metre high building will attract more people than building 3 460 metre buildings with same money, and in a long run its better for the economy.
Actually for the price of one 1400 metre building you could probably build 6 460 metre buildings since prices don't go up proportionally as of the height increases.

As for the economic side, if you are trying to have a building and make money it certainly wouldn't be a good investment because drawing people doesn't make money for the building.
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #1096
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I'm saying UAE wil earn heaven amount of money for attracting tourists. That's what they've been doing for past 10 years or so... Not talking about making money for the building.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #1097
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I'm saying UAE wil earn heaven amount of money for attracting tourists. That's what they've been doing for past 10 years or so... Not talking about making money for the building.
That doesn't make this tower any more economical. All they'd be building is a show of wealth.
Veseу no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #1098
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

^ As a skyscraper lover, I'm completely okay with building a nearly mile-high tower purely as a show of wealth.
Dale no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #1099
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Mhhhh a building like Burj al Arab is also not economical and who cares about it? noone. so why is everyone caring that much about the economical side of this tower?

Surely it is a show of weath and power. Furthermore it is also a battle to hold the WTB/WTS title in Dubai.

But related to this particular tower i really like it. Because this one will be a catalyst to even taller buildings, and what more does a skyscraper entusiast likes than the height.

So lets rather watch this giant rise in the future and enjoy it than thinking about for us unimportant stuff!
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #1100
Veseу

Likes (Received): 5

^I hope I didn't come across otherwise, but I completely agree with you two guys. Nothing would be cooler than a tower as massive as this one. I just hope they somehow commit to building an economically "worthless" giant.

Perhaps the Skyscraper God will shine down a ray of mercy upon us mere mortals, and allow this behemoth to be constructed!
Veseу no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai