daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1121
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

dubai does have alot of land to build out, but sand is one of the worst types of soil to build on. so the way up is kinda justified.
dachacon no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1122
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

do you really think that tower will stand on sand??
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #1123
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
dubai does have alot of land to build out, but sand is one of the worst types of soil to build on. so the way up is kinda justified.
Not if u know how to build on it, so its not justified!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
no, but i do think it will sit on a strong foundation
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1124
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

and this foundation stands on solid-rock , but i think you know that
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #1125
helghast

yes i do
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #1126
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I really wonder if Dubai can sustain tourism at a significant source of income in the long run. What is there to really draw people to come there for vacations? Yes, the architecture will attract some people but those people won't return time and time again. Maybe some will come for the beaches but there are better beaches with better weather all over the world. Also being located in the Middle East certainly doesn't help draw tourists. While tourism sounds like a good idea I'm not sure it really is.
Spoken like someone from the US. Maybe for your 4% of the world's population the middle east isn't a useful location (other than for stealing oil resources), especially since most of you don't have passports and are content to sit around getting obese and letting a handful of your people (soldiers) see the world (or at least what's left of it after they've wrecked it).

For the rest of us, Dubai is a major stop-over point on the way to a huge number of places. The beaches are great. It offers very warm weather in the middle of the European winter. It offers tax-free business. Unlike the US, they are preparing for the future by looking beyond oil. I guess the US doesn't have to because it just plans to invade every country that has significant oil.

Shouldn't your questions about Dubai's economy be in a different thread? This one is specifically about the Tall Tower.

Last edited by Slurms Mackenzie; July 17th, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #1127
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Don't be personal with your opinion with this matter or on any related matter. Don't generalized things too. Some people are ignorant and there is nothing we can do about it. We cannot change them. That's how they grew up and that's how they were taught. Just get use to this kind of people because you will encounter mre and much worst. Its a good thing you haven't encountered a NeoCon yet.

He is probably a spammer.
Gaeus no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1128
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

Quote:
No they have to dig down to bedrock.... They would also have to dig big foundations for a small house, whereas in other parts of the world small houses are easily built with tiny foundations. Therefore on sand a big building could be seen as more economical than a lot of small ones.

You do struggle to understand people at times don't you ZZ
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1129
Dyn.tek
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 0

lol, 1,6 km . maybe they should call it "Supertall Tower" ?
Dyn.tek no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #1130
helghast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post

Don't be personal with your opinion with this matter or on any related matter. Don't generalized things too. Some people are ignorant and there is nothing we can do about it. We cannot change them. That's how they grew up and that's how they were taught. Just get use to this kind of people because you will encounter mre and much worst. Its a good thing you haven't encountered a NeoCon yet.

he's probably not a spammer, maybe u just dont like what he has to say
back to the Al burj.............
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #1131
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

This tower will definately have some massive counterweight wouldn't it? Probaly twice heavy as taipei 101 (too heavy maybe).

I was just wondering if it ever happened where whole building system failed due to blackout of the city for example, and counterweight failed to work as well. In this case the building would be in great risk of falling.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #1132
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
You misunderstood the man/woman. What was meant im sure is that the sandy conditions at ground level are not preferred to highrises.

However, they will make green areas so it will not be sandy in the future.

Nezzybaby also bring an interesting point up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post

I sympathize with you. And when you counter them your posts get deleted from this overmoderated (at times commie like) forum . (so no wonder we cant do anything about it)

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; July 17th, 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Alle no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1133
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
This tower will definately have some massive counterweight wouldn't it? Probaly twice heavy as taipei 101 (too heavy maybe).
Even 3-5 times heavyer. The building have to be much wider and so the volume/weight would be much bigger.

I hope that they will build that building, cos' they will have to invest strongly in research for new cheap materials. For now the only materials that are light and strong enough to build a 1400m building would be carbon fiber and titanium alloy, but the price tag for a building like that would be astronomical.

Is clear that is not posiblie now with concrete and steel.
luci203 no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1134
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

isn't current most resistable concrete one used for burj dubai? Can't they use same concrete used in burj dubai to this tower at 1400 metre height or there has to be no water mixed into concrete to make it strong as possible?
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1135
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Even 3-5 times heavyer. The building have to be much wider and so the volume/weight would be much bigger.

I hope that they will build that building, cos' they will have to invest strongly in research for new cheap materials. For now the only materials that are light and strong enough to build a 1400m building would be carbon fiber and titanium alloy, but the price tag for a building like that would be astronomical.

Is clear that is not posiblie now with concrete and steel.
And its not possible now with the advances in concrete density and strength?
For years, we have had the capability to build to these extremes - Just that nobody has ever gotten the chance to build something this huge yet.

I would suspect a stout concrete core with some walls that could be up to twice as thick as the main core walls in the burj, and a combination of steel framing - I dont think this will strictly be reinforced concrete framing, even at the lower levels.
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1136
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

They strengthened the materials with nano engineered structures for Burj Dubai, according to what I read in a popular science magazine.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1137
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
No they have to dig down to bedrock.... They would also have to dig big foundations for a small house, whereas in other parts of the world small houses are easily built with tiny foundations. Therefore on sand a big building could be seen as more economical than a lot of small ones.

You do struggle to understand people at times don't you ZZ
Hi Nezzy.

While they may dig to bedrock on this structure, the bedrock is too deep under the Burj Dubai. It sits on 194 skin friction piles.( yes 194 - not 192 as one of the 3 wings has an extra 2 piles ) This may use them as well.

Old July 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1138
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

do we have a floor count on this puppy?
dachacon no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #1139
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

nope, final plans have not been released yet. according to a recent article it will happen this year
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1140
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
They strengthened the materials with nano engineered structures for Burj Dubai, according to what I read in a popular science magazine.
Yes, They had to change the materials only to increase the height from +700m to +800m. (original project was just above 700m).

I'm sure Burj Dubai as it is now is the extreme building for concrete and steel. Even if they thicken the walls, the problem is that the building will colapse under her own weight, with curent materials, no mather how thick thw walls would be.
luci203 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai