daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #1161
jamjaruk

Likes (Received): 5

It looks as though this tower is going ahead.... I wonder what the final design looks like....
jamjaruk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #1162
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

So, they begin construction? The design must be complete then.

Spartan proverb

nunyios liked this post
Spartan_X no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1163
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

That's great, now we just need some pictures...
DinoVabec no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1164
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan_X View Post
So, they begin construction? The design must be complete then.
Not the construction, just the preparation for ground works.
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #1165
Minuteman

Likes (Received): 0

Good news!
Minuteman no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #1166
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybonita View Post
C/U 05/9/08

AlBurj Plot

[IMG]http://i35.************/1ju6fo.jpg[/IMG]
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #1167
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

It's busy there...Oh yeah...
DinoVabec no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #1168
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Nice to see a pic.

I find all the secrecy and the more or less framing of Imre to not take pics utter crap. When the early earthworks and piling were happening on the Burj Dubai the widespread idea of posting construction pics online was just taking off so there is not many pics of the activity - understandable but still a crying shame.

Here we have what may be by far the next WTB possibly 1400 meters high and we are still missing out on the early progress because of the secrecy crap. Look at the Chicago Spire - many updates amounting to thousands of pics and only the piling is done. The way it should be.

Some of us find the early works interesting as it is still part of the construction of a world icon. Sad that in this part of the world there is a shroud that we must look through because either people are told not to take pics or have to take them from far away. Sorta like how things in the old Soviet Union were "behind the iron curtain" some things in the Middle East are "behind the sand curtain".

I am not complaining - I am happy to get the updates we get - I just wish it was more open like in North America.

Old September 6th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #1169
MKTJ

Likes (Received): 27

that picture shows how the location is bad for a world icon ...
MKTJ no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #1170
Woozy

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTJ View Post
I know. I dont see why they dont use it to fill the massive gap between the Burj Dubai area and the marina.
Woozy no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #1171
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTJ View Post
By the time it is finished, you won't even recognize the surroundings.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #1172
balthier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Surely we need a new category to describe a structure like this?

I mean, when you compare it to the Empire State Building or Taipei 101 then "supertall" isn't really good enough anymore...

What about "hypertall" or "star-scraper"? A building this size could contain hundreds of thousands of people, and literally miles of cables, piping and electrics - almost like a city within a building.
I like "starhunter" to name this kind of buildings... "cazaestrellas" en espaņol

saludos desde mty, mexico
balthier no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #1173
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

The best pic so far!

Old but you can see clearly the future circle shaped floorplate.

And on the last pic above from bizzybonita. I can see that they put steelframes in the holes. Just like they do with the Chicago Spire.

Good work AltinD!
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #1174
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

The circle shape could have to do with the design of the building base or nothing with ?
antovador no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1175
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

since we don't know the final design...we don't know it .
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #1176
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Nice to see a pic.

I find all the secrecy and the more or less framing of Imre to not take pics utter crap. When the early earthworks and piling were happening on the Burj Dubai the widespread idea of posting construction pics online was just taking off so there is not many pics of the activity - understandable but still a crying shame.

Here we have what may be by far the next WTB possibly 1400 meters high and we are still missing out on the early progress because of the secrecy crap. Look at the Chicago Spire - many updates amounting to thousands of pics and only the piling is done. The way it should be.

Some of us find the early works interesting as it is still part of the construction of a world icon. Sad that in this part of the world there is a shroud that we must look through because either people are told not to take pics or have to take them from far away. Sorta like how things in the old Soviet Union were "behind the iron curtain" some things in the Middle East are "behind the sand curtain".

I am not complaining - I am happy to get the updates we get - I just wish it was more open like in North America.

Well, you can see the chicago spire site very easily from a few floors up on the nearest building, from a bridge, or some other easy to get to place. With this it's far away from the nearest tower and harder to get to anyway. All you'll see are various machines moving around the place. The best picture we got so far was that aerial view which happened to have this construction site in it so we found out the shape of the plot. People can't do this every day.

Anyway, the thing about Imre not taking pictures is true. He said so himself that he promised not to take pictures unti the official announcement.
malec no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #1177
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi Malec.

I wasn't saying that Imre not being able to take pics is not true - I read what he said about it the same as you did. I mean the whole concept of secrecy around projects in Dubai is nonsense.

I realize the CS has many good vantage points but even if it didn't people would be able to take shots from just outside the fence.

I am very knowledgeable of what is involved in foundation work - meaning I know all we would see is machines moving around the site - that is what I want to see. I find all aspects of construction interesting including prep and foundation work.

I understand people can't do this everyday - the comment was uncalled for.

I, like many others are very interested to get updates on the next WTS and as I said before, I wish it was more open - that's all.

Peace brother.

Old September 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #1178
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

yeah, but were not even sure if the design is finalized. Last report was they were finishing up and fine tuning, so who knows really. I agree, but what I've learned is that Dubai has a whole set of rules completely different than America. Here, we have to have everything finalized and approved and that alone can take years, so buildings like the Chicago spire are set in stone before anything gets started. In countries like UAE, China, etc., they can get a skyscraper's groundwork started in a few months and basically solve as it's getting worked on.
Joy Machine no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1179
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi Malec.

I wasn't saying that Imre not being able to take pics is not true - I read what he said about it the same as you did. I mean the whole concept of secrecy around projects in Dubai is nonsense.

I realize the CS has many good vantage points but even if it didn't people would be able to take shots from just outside the fence.

I am very knowledgeable of what is involved in foundation work - meaning I know all we would see is machines moving around the site - that is what I want to see. I find all aspects of construction interesting including prep and foundation work.

I understand people can't do this everyday - the comment was uncalled for.

I, like many others are very interested to get updates on the next WTS and as I said before, I wish it was more open - that's all.

Peace brother.

Nakheel doesn't want to publicize this tower yet for many reasons, first because of possible competition from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and second not affect the aurora around Burj Dubai being the tallest tower in the world to be. The developer of CS doesn't have these issues to deal with and he would be happy for every publicity he can get, especially considering that he might not even have started to offer units for sale in the tower.

Also the the argument about the location is absolutely true. You can remember very well how we were able to take a picture of progress on Burj Dubai site only after the tower cranes were erected and work on the structure started. Before that we could only get pictures of a blue fence hundreds of meters from the tower's location itself or in a few occasions just the outline of the huge dug hole.

Situation here is even worse: First the tower is further away from the road then Burj Dubai is and second the site is located very far from most people's daily commutes. For example I would have to drive more then 30 kms from my home to get there.
I can cheat you blind.

Last edited by AltinD; September 8th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1180
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

I hope that someone from SSC will move to JBR...
LeMoN-SK no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai