daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 17th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #101
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

That's a Chicago style supertall, not NYC.
Jasonhouse no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #102
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
Surely we need a new category to describe a structure like this?

I mean, when you compare it to the Empire State Building or Taipei 101 then "supertall" isn't really good enough anymore...

What about "hypertall" or "star-scraper"? A building this size could contain hundreds of thousands of people, and literally miles of cables, piping and electrics - almost like a city within a building.
I seriously digg your "starscraper" proposal

Hereafter lets declare we call scrapers over 1km starscrapers . Or we can call them Ultra tall skyscrapers or as you said hypertall.

I mean afterall there might be built like 5-10km in the distant future. And when we break the troposphere is when we really want to use starscraper, right?

BTW even though i doubt it will be 1200m (more like 900 - 1000 at most id guess). I think it would be quite wide then. However i like the skyparks clearly lookalike to those of the visions for Tokyo supertalls, like x-seed-4000 and the more doable Millenium Tower.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #103
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

People keep talking about supertalls, ultratalls, hypertalls, megatalls, etc. and I'd just like to share what I think defines these. First of all I don't think the difference between a normal scraper and a supertall is a 300m barrier since everyone knows certain buildings that are 290m tall can look taller than a 310m one. For me the transition to supertall comes when some new ideas, technologies and techniques need to be introduced to make the building work. This includes things like skylobbies, tuned mass dampers, double-deck elevators, etc.
A megatall (or hypertall or anything else) would then just be the next stage upwards where extra technologies would need to be introduced. Maybe the conventional elevator wouldn't be sufficient and will need some new vertical transport system. It doesn't need to be only engineering issues either, it can be anything.

Burj dubai is still a supertall, just a very tall one, since it still functions like any other. This might break that barrier.
malec no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #104
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.I.C.E. View Post
DISSAPOINTED. Thats not what +1000 skyscraper should look like. It resembles more New York towers of 1920s. Just an arabic version. Where is the skygarden or anything hi-tec. There is nothing futureristic about that building.
The skygardens are there. There are about 6 skylobbies (although it's more likely that's been increased to 10 or so) and above each there's a skygarden. Since this is mostly res it's hollow in the middle.
malec no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #105
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrotha View Post
why? dubai has to be the only place on earth with empty skyscrapers...
what empty skyscrapers???
office occupancy 99.8% and over 50 000 people waiting for appartments as of 2007, with another 100 000 people moving to Dubai within the next 12m months another 50 000 units are needed .
Try doing some homework before you make uneducated statements, Dubai is so under officed and apprtmented never mind hotels running at 90%+ occupancy.
Im in property development and we are having a field day here and in the region, you just cant go wrong developing towers
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #106
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5444

This is brilliant, I mean 1.2 km tall!!! That is awesome. Glad to be alive to see such wonders and thank goodness for Dubai's bold vision!

Does it make economic sense? Who cares! A Bugatti Veyron doesn't make economic sense but I still want one. Did Concorde make economic sense?

Life isn't just about being boring and sensible and people who are all about that bore me to tears. If I wanted that i'd go visit any of the endless cities in these forums that are accomplishing nothing of note.

Dubai is livin the dream and good on them.

Fact is, humanity also does things to inspire and push the envelope. Dubai pushes the envelope, Al Burj pushes the envelope. In truth Al Burj is the ONLY truly justified supertall, since if you don't push the envelope then what's the point? Al Burj pushes it and THAT is it's point. Like Burj Dubai it will go down in history as one of the greats.

Anyway, poor old Burj Dubai, it will look puny next to it.
Locke no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #107
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I'm affraid that Emaar might give up on ego and just top-up the Burj Dubai at 705 meters as several speculations lately have suggested.

That will be a real let down from their side.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #108
KB

Likes (Received): 6804

I am scared..

I know the architects know what they are doing...but somehow a shiver runs down my spine when i see forces of nature and man made forces that cause destruction and these kinds of buildings being made.

Anyhow, lemme try to be optimistic here...So is there any detailed informations about it? like start date, end date, any website etc.

Oh ... now i must make a pilgrimage to these cute structures as soon as the get built.
KB no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #109
s a s h a
Northitalian user

Likes (Received): 0

another vision

[IMG]http://i16.************/4i57ojm.jpg[/IMG]
s a s h a no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #110
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuedz View Post
its still a dream! did they have the drawings and wind tunnel study already? i had a feeling it's a ploy to discourage other countries to build something taller than burj dubai in the near future...just my thoughts....
It seams they have done all that and more. They even have Samsung on board.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #111
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

Doesn't Sansung do project management?
Jasonhouse no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #112
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

we dont have a reliable source. everything to this point is speculation
Krazy no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #113
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 19

somehow i lost interest in burj dubai !

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #114
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

Al burj developers are stupid. they dont have to go to 1200 metres.
809m is enough. lol
remember guys this news article is all it is, a news article. no application had been lodged yet with Dubai planning Authority and we have no idea about its new deisgn. who said it will look like original 750m structure? who said Dubai planners will allow such a tall structure? maybe they may have a 1000m limit?
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #115
Vekkis

Likes (Received): 0

a quick photoshop i made. I think this is closer to reality if al burj reaches 1200m
Vekkis no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #116
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

that thing will be damned tall, unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
From the last Nakheel video I saw on Al Burj it was 3 rounded ellipctical triangular prisms (with the internal sides convex, which when joined creates a perfect internal cylinder) that forms one very large elliptical triangular prism!
It doesn't look great in 2D form, but with a helicopter spiral view it's a pretty amazing design.

For those who have trouble trying to picture this shape it's like a 3D triangle that looks as if it was a ballon, someone had put too much air in it!
The flat sides of the triangle are bowed outwards and the hard triangular points are well rounded off, so from certain angles looks almost spherical and from other angles looks like a standard cuboid building (or just 2 buildings joined together)
Hope that kinda makes sense?

i think you can see the shape quite good in that pic:

[IMG]http://i18.************/472gv9s.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by ZZ-II; March 18th, 2007 at 12:13 PM.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #117
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

this beast will cost $3-4 billion
luv2bebrown no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #118
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Doesn't Sansung do project management?
NO,

Samsung is the main contractor of Burj Dubai and they with a Japanese company are commissioned to build Al Burj as well. Samsung has constructed Petronas Tower 2 and they did the cladding on Taipei 101.

Most of Project Managment companies in Dubai are Americans. For Burj Dubai is TURNER, while for the Dubai Waterfront project, where Al Burj belongs, the Project Managment company is another American one: PARSONS.

Propably they'll be the P.M. for the tower itself as well.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #119
AltinD
The Modecator

It is NOT in an island. It is ON SHORE!!!

How many times we have to say this ...
AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #120
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

05/March/2006

Al Burj , Arabian Travel Market

Imre no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai