daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #121
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

I would like it better if the three tower segments terminated at differing heights.
Jasonhouse no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #122
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

wow,i counted 230 floors!
cyborg81 no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #123
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

and this is from Nakheel sales center , 05/Dec/2006

and From Cityscape 2006

Imre no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #124
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #125
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
I really hope the redesigned version has ... at least more glass than there is on the current version.
I would like to see that to.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #126
3tmk
Rusty Robot

So they changed the design and made it 1200m tall?
I remember it used to be at 900m "only"
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #127
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10134

so if thats the 750m version. its only 75m wide.its roof is 700m. how do you extend to 1200m? i think it will have to get wider and spires atleast 200m high.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #128
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

I'd rather see it chopped off by 2/3 then take the upper part the build a 350m building from it. The design is too bland for something that tall.

But well, now it's 1,200m so why stop there?
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #129
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
I would like it better if the three tower segments terminated at differing heights.
That'd make it much better I think. Also there should be a good deal of spacing between each termination
malec no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #130
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Burj means tower in arabic.

I think Al Burj should have few taller skyscrapers like 1000m, 900m and 800m around it to make it look awesome taller skyline. It would look funny if Al Burj sticks up all the way to the sky than rest of skyscrapers in Dubai.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #131
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Likes (Received): 13

It's not so much the magnitude of sway that's important, as the acceleration you feel when the building is swaying. Consider which would you rather experience: a slow, side-to-side sway of 10 meters or a rapid side-to-side sway of 5 meters?

The reason Burj Dubai comprises individual 'tubes' that rise to different heights up the building is to lend it stiffness; it is this stiffness that will help to minimise the accelerations experienced at the top of the tower. Though the system isn't so obvious in Al Burj, it looks like there may be a similar idea at play here.

Of course, excessive movement itself causes other problems - with the facade systems, piping & ductwork, internal finishes, I could go on. Suffice to say that I'm pretty confident the engineers would have had the sense to account for all this in their designs.

A final side-note. The reason roller-coasters don't need to go particularly fast to excite us is to do with this 'acceleration' idea. They measure their designs in terms of 'jerk' and 'jounce' Acceleration is the rate of change of speed, jerk the the rate of change of acceleration and jounce is the rate of change of jerk. Get those balanced right and you have yourself an exciting ride!

PS. I'm sure if any of the above is wrong, i'll be corrected nstantly.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #132
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

I think elevator speed is limited by passenger comfort. Again, acceleration of the lift car is important - if you accelerate too fast it feels very unpleasant for the passengers. And because a lift car is constantly starting and stopping, this becomes a major consideration.

There are also, I believe, issues to do with pressurisation of the lift car and altitude - rising too quickly can cause ears to pop and so on. I'm working from memory there, so take the stuff to do with pressure with a pinch of salt!

The fastest lifts in the work were installed in Taipei 101; there's a good article on them here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4101309.stm. They travel at around 37mph / 17m/s (crazy!) and take 30 seconds to ascend 382m. Assuming a similar speed in this building, you'd be looking at about a 1.5 - 2 minute ride if the elevator doesn't stop anywhere else.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #133
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

moxwax, again, it's not the movement of 6 inches that is the problem. I'd argue that it's the unexpect sensation of the ground moving beneath your feet - and that is down to the accelerations caused by wind, not the movement itself.

It's a subtle point, but an important one because it changes the focus of trying to fix the problem. Tuned mass dampers installed in tall buildings such as Taipei 101 work by absorbing the energy of the acceleration, not by limiting the movement of the building.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #134
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

I think Chief has made his point very clear. Yes, the building accelerates when it sways back and forth, but modern technology will minimize that acceleration (acceleration is small) so you may notice the sway but not enough to make you wanna puke.

This is the same concept as to why a 12-story building sways much more than a 30-story building during an earthquake. The length of the building and the damper on top (assuming they will have one for such a tall building) will minimize the effect of acceleration of the sway.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:04 AM   #135
CULWULLA

everyone keeps posting the 750m version. the new version will be nothing like that.
everyone also thinks it will be in Dubai, but it will 50km away. thank god. far away from distracting from Burj Dubai.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:30 AM   #136
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

That's right.
malec no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:08 AM   #137
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

won't this be clearly in the path of the airplanes landing at the new jebel ali airport?
Krazy no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:24 AM   #138
KevD
Member since Sept. 2004

Likes (Received): 6

Is this project still proposed at 1,200 m tall? Because why does the diagram on skyscraperpage.com still show it as being only 750 m tall???

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?26479816
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:32 AM   #139
CULWULLA

we havent seen the 1200m version yet and it isnt approved yet.
so not much to go on boys. not real much to talk about either. just pages of speculating. maybe there should be a fantasy section on forums?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:30 AM   #140
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

To some extent i agree with Kenwen, on the other hand i dont believe it will be 1.2km, maybe 100m higher than BD or something just to take the record.

However, even though they could build several smaller buildings with the same floorspae, this is not built becouse of pragmatic reasons, but becouse its one of the key developements in the whole waterfront, i mean, Nakheel will spend billions on the waterfront, and they want developements to make it stand out. (and of course they wont make money of Al Burj, but on the developements around it).

The Eiffel Tower was built for an exhibition, not very practical. But the people of Paris and tourists from elsewhere enjoy it today.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai