daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM   #141
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
This reminds me of Chrysler and empire state building. Chrysler built that tallest and were afraid someone would go higher and took precautions against it. Then empire came and just blew it out of the water. And not only the but the designs themselves are also similar. Chrysler was much more slimmer and sexier while empire was more brute hugeness. Same thing here. O and also the same city .

Actually, it was more of a rival between Chrsyler Building and 40 Wall Street Building. Both buildings were completed on 1930. But the real story is the builders of 40 Wall Street thought their building will be higher but Chrysler builders secretly changed their plans and they added more floors. They did not reveal their plan until 40 Wall Street was completed. 40 Wall Street was the highest building for several months only to be knocked down by its rival.

Little did they know that another building was already in the plan and it will be completed on 1931. Empire State Building was the highest building for 40 years (The longest ever for any building).

Anyway, back to the topic.

I can't wait to see the render of this building. Did they already released one?

Last edited by Gaeus; March 23rd, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
Gaeus no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #142
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10109

Al burj. sounds like a guy i used to know years ago!!
al burj is a legend that is made up from many forumers to upset the ying/yang of Burj Dubai!! lololol
1200m lol
they ment 1200ft!!!!
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #143
THE DUBAI GUYS
Ruff 'n' Ready

Likes (Received): 372

guess wats back in the news:

VDM picks up a ‘Tall Tower’
by ArabianBusiness.com staff writer on Saturday, 24 March 2007 Australia's Van Der Meer Consulting (VDM) has won a US $2.8 million (AED10.3 million) subcontract to provide structural engineering consultancy services on a tower to be built on Nakheel's Dubai Waterfront.

According to the company, the project is to be called Tall Tower. WSP is the main consultant, while VDM and US-based LERA are the subconsultants.

According to the statement from VDM, "the Tall Tower will be a super-tall building even by Dubai standards and will form the focal point of the new Dubai Waterfront development".

Nakheel has in the past referred to Al Burj, which is billed as being the tallest tower in the world, as the focal point of the project.

A spokesperson from WSP said: "It is for the same tower that was initially called Al Burj, but I think they just can't decide on the name at the moment, so they've called it the Tall Tower."

R
THE DUBAI GUYS no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #144
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUBAI GUYS View Post

by ArabianBusiness.com staff writer on Saturday, 24 March 2007 Australia's Van Der Meer Consulting (VDM) has won a US $2.8 million (AED10.3 million) subcontract to provide structural engineering consultancy services on a tower to be built on Nakheel's Dubai Waterfront.

According to the company, the project is to be called Tall Tower. WSP is the main consultant, while VDM and US-based LERA are the subconsultants.

According to the statement from VDM, "the Tall Tower will be a super-tall building even by Dubai standards and will form the focal point of the new Dubai Waterfront development".

Nakheel has in the past referred to Al Burj, which is billed as being the tallest tower in the world, as the focal point of the project.

A spokesperson from WSP said: "It is for the same tower that was initially called Al Burj, but I think they just can't decide on the name at the moment, so they've called it the Tall Tower."

R
doesn't say or mention anything about the height at all
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #145
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Yeah, you're right about the Empire State Building and WTC. I saw a documentary on the ESB and people used to joke calling it the "Empty State Building." I totally forgot about those buildings having trouble filling up their floors.
The early 30's and early 70's were depression and recession years respectively.
jogiba no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #146
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUBAI GUYS View Post

R
OMG i can't believe it..they will buid this thing... Dubai is nuts
giovani kun no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #147
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

renders

giovani kun no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #148
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Has anyone got a pic of the site where this is going to be built?
It sounds as if there was some talk of foundations in the summer - so surely there must be a site. I am therefore guessing it is being built on land that exists already and not part of the reclaimed land.
Also at 3 days per floor (due to curing time) it's going to take quite a while to pour 200 floors... and complete such a building ... well actually 2 years wouldn't be that long a time... 600 days of concrete pouring... and it'd be one hell of a large structure to pour each day - dam thick walls too - if Burj Dubai's are about 80cm then Al Burj would need 1m walls?
googlepeakoil no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #149
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Ok people iff you realy want to expres your oppinion do it in a "grown-up" mode. It is polite against the rest off the forumers.
Dont be childish against each other by saying: "I dont like you........."
Things like that are just nothing more then complete rubbish.

Back to the tower.:

Dubai realy is going to extreme hights wich is quite astonishing because it comes from virtualy nowhere to an instantenious 21`st century city with all the records off highest buildings in his pocket.

1000 meters high hill would be called a mountain.
this thing will be 1200 meters..... that says it all.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #150
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Hawkwood View Post
I dont think so. If it it pure only about the height, then we could build buildings some where about 10-25 Kilometers tall. and by the comming off ever smarter and stronger materials we could jack it up to 50 K iff we only look purely about the height.
I doubt if the currently used concrete material can support the weight and stability of a 10Km building.

Think of how the NYC WTC torn down in 911. The botton concrete just couldn't support the pressure when there's a broken linkage above. So how can the lower level concrete support a 10K building above it?
big-dog no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #151
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2841

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
I doubt if the currently used concrete material can support the weight and stability of a 10Km building.

Think of how the NYC WTC torn down in 911. The botton concrete just couldn't support the pressure when there's a broken linkage above. So how can the lower level concrete support a 10K building above it?
A tapered building would have limitless height, the WTC were mainly steel frame, with the same floor plan all the way up. With massive concrete walls at the bottom tapering to very thin walls at the top the sky really is the limit. Have you ever seen the work of cardhouse builder bryan berg?? you would assume that card is a terrible material for constructing buildings, here is a picture of him constructing his current world record tower of over 21 feet:

the point is materials only have to be as strong as a design requires, you build things right and you can go straight up. Biggest problem becomes cost, as every new floor increases the price of the building by more than the last, so towers such as this are rarely economically viable. They are built for display and to attract people to the city mostly, and i think they're working because i hear a lot of people these days booking holidays in dubai, as little as 10 years ago no-one had heard of it.
nezzybaby no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #152
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

This is a warning for those who insist on using this thread as a platform for exchanging immature personal insults: If you continue to derail this thread with your disruptive behavior, you'll be brigged.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #153
Adi-Romania(Boston)

Likes (Received): 12

maybe not yet....but in the future sure. Hell, we will be exponentially more advanced in only 100 years. And I mean...thats not alot of time. I can see a mile high building designed and construction starting in the next 5-10 years at the rate these guys are holding ***** contests. BTW I love that, they can continue holding ***** contests all the way to 10 miles all I care. Just start pouring money into flying cars...cuz traffic is becoming horrid.
Adi-Romania(Boston) no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:11 AM   #154
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
is there a height limit how tall human can can reach, based on the current architecture technology and construction materials? 2000m?

I would say YES but you should add something more besides materials and technology.

OK, I am not trying to be crazy nor imaginitive but take a look at our ancient history like the past 3000 years. Before, man, with their faith, attitude, confidence and determination (maybe life and death situation), were able to build the impossible. Human were able to built such buildings that Archaeologists today are still boggling how they built it. Take a look at Egypt's Pyramids, Babylon's Hanging Gardens, Roman's and Chinese's buildings. They do not have the technology but they have the materials. However, that was the civilization before. The leaders before does not care of their people and they are trying to be Gods. They have to build the impossible to tell their people they are such Gods. Today's civilization are not like that anymore and I will thank God for that.

I will give you a hint on how to create such building with 2000m in height. Before you create such building, materials and architecture is not the first thing you needed. You need power. Like the power of an Egyptian Pharaoh or a Roman Emperor. You need to control the bureaucracy like a Tyrant (Maybe control the world). Then, you need to persuade the Architects and Engineers that it is possible to build one or you will have them killed. You need to let them know that you will have tens of thousands of construction workers ready to die to build one. Tell them that you have billion tons of steels and concretes and thousands of construction vehicles and they will build you a 2000m building. Yeah, its a crazy idea but Pharaohs and Emperors were crazy before. Its a good thing those kind of civilization does not exist anymore.
Gaeus no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM   #155
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What do you think?
AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:36 PM   #156
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasburg View Post
i dont know... maybe dubayy is the british way and dubai is the american way.
Of course is DUBAI ... duh
AltinD no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:58 PM   #157
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2667

actually its both
http://www.answers.com/topic/dubayy
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:09 PM   #158
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

it doesnt matter since the word is originally arabic

In English it is usually pronounced as Do Buy but in our Arabic Emirati dialect we say "ed bey" while its Dobey in formal Arabic.
smussuw no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:14 AM   #159
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinouz View Post
What is all that stupid moderation system putting *** everywhere, that impeach to even understand the discussions?

If you remove the word "d.u.b.a.i" from d.u.b.a.i topics, for example, what is the use of the forum anymore.

Too much censorship. This has clearly gone past the acceptable limits that oppose speech freedom and decency control.
malec no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM   #160
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
It is an offensive because when people are trying to make the point on any issues here and some words got doted. It is like someone is violating their rights based on freedom speech. Nobody here is trying to insult anyone with their own words. Some words got doted like they used offensive terms which are not. Some of my posts that got doted with some words and I felt insulted by throwing away my right to say something what I have in my mind.
First of all, it was only a joke for one day, yes you can survive with it for one day.
2ndly, I don't know where you get your idea that free speech applies on this forum. There is nothing of that sort here
malec no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai