daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:29 PM   #201
delores

Likes (Received): 106

it's such ashame that as part of Vauxhalls rejuvenation that the road system is not sorted out. A tunnel would be a great idea here unfortunate there's a tube in the way.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM   #202
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 587

Culling the gyratory all together would be nice, shame it's the Portsmouth road though. One of the main links to the South-West of the metro area. Still better than some of the other arterial roads into London though.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #203
delores

yea its a complete mess and will only be made worse by the ever increasing population. Building the tube extension is one thing but it still doesn't solve an issues for the pedestrian or the car driver.
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #204
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
yea its a complete mess and will only be made worse by the ever increasing population. Building the tube extension is one thing but it still doesn't solve an issues for the pedestrian or the car driver.
I'm sorry to be so blunt Delores, but fu*k the car driver.

Bowater liked this post
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #205
delores

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefearon View Post
I'm sorry to be so blunt Delores, but fu*k the car driver.
well it has to be considered because unfortunately its the reality of life.
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #206
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 89

Mystery explained on what's being built - it is indeed a structure rather akin to the Wandsworth roundabout's Atom - 12 advertising panels have been dismantled as part of the project, and two 4-by-10 metre digital ones put up. by Outdoor Plus. These were working this morning and looked pretty impressive - like a very large plasma TV screen and with a much sharper image than the digital screens elsewhere. The screens also have their own webcam!

http://www.outdoorplus.co.uk/roadsid...ss-island.html

Quote:
Located in up and coming Vauxhall, with its £400m regeneration programme, this state-of-the-art digital screen is located on Vauxhall Cross Gyratory one of Central London’s major traffic hubs. Situated at the convergence point of 6 major roads, including Wandsworth Road and Parry Street, and delivering over 75,000 head on impacts to 9 Elms Lane each day, the screen delivers a business and commuter audience from some of South London’s most affluent postcodes and beyond.

Integrated into an impressive architectural surround in the centre of the island, the Vauxhall Cross Island screens deliver total ownership of the location for advertisers and agencies and are impossible to miss. At the same time, the nature of the location makes it ideal for PR launches and associated filming requirements.

As with all Outdoor Plus digital screens, the Vauxhall Cross Island Screen 1 delivers ultra-sharp imaging, built-in environmental and failsafe controls and a plethora of creative and interactive opportunities, backed by Outdoor Plus’ digital planning know-how and commitment to service excellence.
There's no doubt that this is a very good advertising location, with over a million viewers going past a week according to the site above - which probably explains why a two week slot will currently cost you £30,000.

So - and sorry to disappoint - no high rise for the time being! I expect this thread will fall back into the relative obscurity of the non-front-pages, though we should keep an eye on what does happen ghere as there is a fully consented, and at least partly funded, project booked for this site.

Last edited by Swissdave; November 27th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #207
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 355

I had some sort of consultation document about a month ago from Lambeth council on Vauxhall which seemed to suggest they were thinking of getting rid of the gyratory and putting in a high street complete with shops. I should have kept it and uploaded it.
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #208
derwent
ALAS POOR DORIC

Likes (Received): 6

Great - another big distraction for drivers is all we need around Vauxhall. Shame they can't spend some money on proper SAFE cycle lanes around there. If I am ever going to meet my maker on my bike in London it will be along that stretch of road. It is hell on earth.
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM   #209
aphw

Likes (Received): 2

No chance of the height going back up now other larger skyscrapers have been proposed nearby? Or would we end up with a `wall of towers`...?
aphw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:04 PM   #210
Medo

Likes (Received): 306

Testing...
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #211
Retro Specs

Something is happening on the site right now, on the Northern end (nearest Vauxhall Bridge). Either their doing very early prep, or they're doing something completely unrelated to the towers. As it's near the old style advert I fear they are just doing work to replace it with the newer movie-screen style ones which they have at the other end of the site. Anyone got any ideas based on what they see here?

Old November 28th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #212
london lad

Likes (Received): 349

The last I heard the site was up for sale so I would doubt there will be any movement until then. Maybe they are performing one of the discharge of conditions of planning which means the application has been started and can’t lapse which maybe a condition of the sale.

I would expect the Chinese at One Nine Elms to be the next project starting here which will more than likely be in 2014.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #213
Retro Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
The last I heard the site was up for sale so I would doubt there will be any movement until then. Maybe they are performing one of the discharge of conditions of planning which means the application has been started and can’t lapse which maybe a condition of the sale.

I would expect the Chinese at One Nine Elms to be the next project starting here which will more than likely be in 2014.
Yeah I wasn't expecting any movement on this, so was surprised when I saw this. The Sainsbury's towers project has already started, I expect given that they've started marketing that Skygardens won't be far behind either. Both Vauxhall Square and Bondway* are 2015 starts.(*if approved). Covent Garden seem to have changed their plans for where their towers will be located, but I don't know the details
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:40 PM   #214
Retro Specs

Still on site today. So far they've built what appears to be a concrete driveway onto the site, roughly where the larger of the two towers would be built. Still not certain what they are doing.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:08 PM   #215
Storeys

Likes (Received): 98

I didn't even know they were considering two more towers here. So there is potential for these as well as One Nine Elms and Vauxhall Square and Bondway? Would be interesting!
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM   #216
Retro Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storeys View Post
I didn't even know they were considering two more towers here. So there is potential for these as well as One Nine Elms and Vauxhall Square and Bondway? Would be interesting!
I'm writing a post on Vauxhall for my site with a summary of all the projects. But here's a brief list:
  • One St Georges Wharf - 181m - Almost complete
  • Sainsburys - 125m, 90m, 60m - Approved, and early site works started
  • One Nine Elms - 200m & 160m - Approved
  • Vauxhall Square - 167m, 167m (plus two more towers of 27fl and 20fl) - Approved
  • New Covent Garden Market, 157m, 131.6m, 112.5m - Approved [Note it looks like there will be a new scheme here, perhaps with more skyscrapers]
  • Vauxhall Island Site (this one) - 141m, 115m - Approved
  • Sky Gardens - 120m - Approved
  • 30-60 South Lambeth Road, 96.5m - Approved
  • New Bondway - 168m - proposed
  • Keybridge house replacement - 125m - proposed
Plus Albert Embankment towers and Nine Elms not-quite-tower projects like Riverlight and Embassy Gardens
Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:01 PM   #217
london lad

Do you know what is happening with the Downing Student tower round the corner from here. It has an September 2015 opening mentioned yet whenever I go past the site nothing seems to be happening?

http://downingstudents.com/locations.../theatlas.aspx
Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:54 PM   #218
Retro Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Do you know what is happening with the Downing Student tower round the corner from here. It has an September 2015 opening mentioned yet whenever I go past the site nothing seems to be happening?

http://downingstudents.com/locations.../theatlas.aspx
As you say the site hasn't been touched yet. I keep searching for info on this but can't find anything new. I suppose it's still possible they might meet that deadline, but it's becoming increasingly unlikely.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:35 PM   #219
london lad

Yes it’s an odd one. I thought Downing developments were big enough to start this one as soon as they had planning and what with the massive demand for Student resi they would want to start this asap just as Urbanest have done for their student scheme on York Rd.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:15 AM   #220
Retro Specs

Did some more investigation. The island site submitted a modified planning document in April this year, and it's still pending decision (unless the site hasn't updated yet). From what I can see all changes to internal configuration of the towers.

The driveway appears to have been made between the North tower and a proposed underground entrance to the site. I'm still amazed by how they're going to fit two large towers on this tiny site. There seems to be 2x 2-beds and 2x 1-beds per floor of each tower.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: