daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #21
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

Excellent, just superb news to see a bit of momentum getting going here. Vauxhall has so much going for it. It's a couple of stops to the very centre of town, river location, lots of available land without height restrictions......I think this is a great opportunity for developers as there is a virtuous circle set in motion. That is, each new proposal just adds value to those already there.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 9th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #22
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Really good news. Nice renders. New cluster.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #23
jimbo

Indeed - good shapes, obviously similar to the Ontario tower with its lipstick type top. These might offset the awfulness (IMO) of the Vauxhall St George's Tower), which with pp in place and the support of Pressa, must be prime for a start soon in this climate of heightened optimism for tall resi projects. Anyone coming into Waterloo via Vauxhall and Clapham junction will have a superb view of these developments as they come to fruition.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #24
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 322

How big is the chance that these are actually being built?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #25
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

I like them & its nice to see that Suire & Partners seem to have lost that ruler they were using to design their recent towers in the Docklands. I cant see any reason for this not getting planning permission as its on a site that is essentially a traffic island so shouldn't have the neighbours complaining, its also the same height as St Georges tower & would appear west when viewed from Westminster- The only hic cup will be the anti- heightist nimbys , prob EH & Lambeth council but there arguements would be quite weak.

Does anyone know the timeframe for this?? Has it gone in for planning???

(finaly reached over 1000 posts- nice )
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #26
Bob

I think London Lad is right to point out that Lambeth Council could be a problem. They are being shoe-horned into highrise and that is not good. We need the local council to be running in the same direction or there will be endless intractable squabling. I am optimistic though that they could be won around with some cash from the Government to help mitigate the problems they envision.
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #27
potto

Likes (Received): 1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny 5
Sucky.

We don't need another wall of towers that are the same height.
I know whats with it with planners/architects not noticing the vista view aesthetics! Having said that each tower seems to be slender and hopefully there will be scope for a taller structures?
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #28
Jake_the_Peg
with the extra leg

Likes (Received): 0

If they rejected St George's Tower, then I see no reason why they won't reject these two next door. Indeed, if their strategic development plan says no talls for this area, then they need exceptional reasons to overrule it and grant permission, no?
Jake_the_Peg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #29
Dan1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_the_Peg
If they rejected St George's Tower, then I see no reason why they won't reject these two next door. Indeed, if their strategic development plan says no talls for this area, then they need exceptional reasons to overrule it and grant permission, no?

Did they reject St George's Tower? I thought it was due for construction next year??
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #30
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1987
Did they reject St George's Tower? I thought it was due for construction next year??
They did, but that decision was overulled by John Prescott.
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #31
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

St George tower went to PI. But Prescott rejected Lambeth comments. The tower has now full go ahead.

I expressed an interest in the next phase of the development. St George answered me that the tower will be marketed by march/april with mainly 1 and 2 bed flats at around £300-350k

So by the end of the year, cranes and cores will be up !
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #32
scraper

Likes (Received): 3

these towers are fantastic, if st george will go up that soon surely it will start a very good momentum for this cluster, especially as residential towers seem to be the way to go at the moment. it will look amazing in a few years time!
scraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #33
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

I could never understand Lambeths councils stance against high rises for htis area as where most of these new developments are is a very grotty & essentially a very large roundabout with very little redeming features- I would have thoghT Lambeth would be actievly encouraging in vestment in this area as without it this area, which has so much potential as it sits on a tube staion, train station & Londons 2nd biggest bus station & is literally across the road from central London.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #34
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Great news, just a shame alot of them are the same height They should be varied to created a balanced cluster

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #35
jef

They have yet to build the first one - so it is a bit premature to complaint that alot of them are the same height ...
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #36
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
I think London Lad is right to point out that Lambeth Council could be a problem. They are being shoe-horned into highrise and that is not good. We need the local council to be running in the same direction or there will be endless intractable squabling. I am optimistic though that they could be won around with some cash from the Government to help mitigate the problems they envision.
I think the mayor has got it right. As far as I understand, these companies are encouraged to build approriately, but they are required to make considerable contirbutions to the local environment. I.E: Road works, public areas, tree planting and where I live, Shepherds Bush, Chelsfied gave very large cash handouts to local resident groups etc (which I think was spent on tequila and prostitutes, you just can't trust these OAP's). It seems to work quite well, albeit a fairly cinical tinkering guesture in very run down areas.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #37
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
St George tower went to PI. But Prescott rejected Lambeth comments. The tower has now full go ahead.

I expressed an interest in the next phase of the development. St George answered me that the tower will be marketed by march/april with mainly 1 and 2 bed flats at around £300-350k

So by the end of the year, cranes and cores will be up !
I think this is brilliant detective work...well done! This is as near to a difinitive start date I have noticed on here. When did you contact them?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #38
jef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattokid
I think this is brilliant detective work...well done! This is as near to a difinitive start date I have noticed on here. When did you contact them?
Do you want the result of another detective work? The apartments in the Shard/Bridge Tower are NOT (yet) on sale. Given that they have not yet pre-let a single sq ft of office in the scheme, that the Shangri-La hotel prelet is more a sort of arrangement than a real prelet, and that there was (is?) a legal dispute about ownership, I am getting more and more skecptical that this one will go ahead.
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #39
mulattokid
BLAND

I understand your pessimism actually, I think the only difference is that there is too much riding on that project and I predict strings will be pulled to get it going...have the apartments been advertised yet? I am certian that when they are , they will go like hotcakes. I think I will have several.

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #40
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

@mulattokid
by writting to them !

@Jef
I share your scepticism actually, there's also the Ldn Bridge station issue.
If the Shard is abandonned, it will have as much impact as the announcement of its full goahead.
This one has been the focus of a lot of attention and illustrate Ldn world city role.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: