daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #41
potto

Likes (Received): 1619

Hold on in there, dont let the nagging doubts get to you!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 9th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #42
scraper

Likes (Received): 3

what would stop sellar making the shard totally residential? is this unfeasable?
scraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #43
london lad

Likes (Received): 426

I wonder what this triangular tower Goth refers to in his website

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=502

looksl ike we'll have to wait for him to get back of his hols!!
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #44
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 62

Awesome - I hope these get built. It would certainly cheer me up whilst being smudged in to the windows on SWTrains through Vauxhall each day.

I can understand why Lambeth council would be against high rise developments though - it's not so much the height issue. Think of the services that have to be provided. Where do you put the additional rubbish of a sudden influx 1000s of people, schools, social provisions etc. in somewhere already densely populated and suffering with restrictive funds?

I really hope these get built. The potential for Vauxhall to thrive is there. The park, the small cafes, the notorious clubs, the history, the tourist sites nearby (e.g. lambeth palace) and not to mention the excellent transport links.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #45
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 3

these guys look like a nice couple and they seem to meet the ground pretty well. Good luck to em.
Old December 10th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #46
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5264

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
I cant see any reason for this not getting planning permission
Lambeth Council refuse planning permission for over 70% of all new developments, and they rejected St George's Wharf... twice.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #47
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad
Awesome - I hope these get built. It would certainly cheer me up whilst being smudged in to the windows on SWTrains through Vauxhall each day.

I can understand why Lambeth council would be against high rise developments though - it's not so much the height issue. Think of the services that have to be provided. Where do you put the additional rubbish of a sudden influx 1000s of people, schools, social provisions etc. in somewhere already densely populated and suffering with restrictive funds?

I really hope these get built. The potential for Vauxhall to thrive is there. The park, the small cafes, the notorious clubs, the history, the tourist sites nearby (e.g. lambeth palace) and not to mention the excellent transport links.

Plus the issues you raised as local authoitry concerns. Lets forget political correctness on the behalf of local authorities and talk facts.

People who can affrod to buy £300.000 + apartments (not flats..that is council estate term) will, on balance, recycle by more than 50%, they will either work or have "independent means" which means they will pay FULL council tax. EQUATION: How many flats X full council tax = more than anywhere else in the borough (despite their protestations) These residents will demand good security and good streets (which, despite the initial exspence) will pull the area upwardly mobile. This development is already set in stone as a huge (if not politically welcome from principle points of view) beneficiary to this area. The issues, in my opinion ,would be either moral or elsewhere, but certainly, financial and "lets have an easy life and let the noveau riche in" are very seductive. On the positive side, the extra money will help those who find life less easy and rely the state more often.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #48
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad

Plus the issues you raised as local authoitry concerns. Lets forget political correctness on the behalf of local authorities and talk facts.

People who can affrod to buy £300.000 + apartments (not flats..that is council estate term) will, on balance, recycle by more than 50%, they will either work or have "independent means" which means they will pay FULL council tax. EQUATION: How many flats X full council tax = more than anywhere else in the borough (despite their protestations) These residents will demand good security and good streets (which, despite the initial exspence) will pull the area upwardly mobile. This development is already set in stone as a huge (if not politically welcome from principle points of view) beneficiary to this area. The issues, in my opinion ,would be either moral or elsewhere, but certainly, financial and "lets have an easy life and let the noveau riche in" are very seductive. On the positive side, the extra money will help those who find life less easy and rely the state more often.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #49
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 1

They're fucking beautiful...assuming they're not going to be made of wood. They're sleek and the cladding looks good. Please build them!
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #50
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2241

triangular site not tower
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #51
gothicform
Bossman

ill add st georges wharf thats already been built to it later along with a few council blocks. still this gives an idea.
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #52
Medo

Likes (Received): 341

arrr it be an impressive cluster
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #53
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

How long before New Covent Garden market (big white square) and the other owners of that swathe of industrial units between the railway and nine elms get made offers they really can't refuse?

Great rendering btw, perfectly illustrates the potential.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #54
london lad

Goth - are those twin towers in nine elms the ones that were proposed above the Sainsbury store from years back???
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #55
gothicform
Bossman

not as far as i know london lad.
right guys, ive got an interview with the chap developing these towers, anyone got any questions?
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #56
mrout

Likes (Received): 1

who in their right mind is going to buy an apartment smack bang next to a busy bus station, right in the middle of one of the most heavily congested traffic junctions, in a somewhat dodgy area?

Lunacy.
mrout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #57
gothicform
Bossman

the same people who pay 3.5 million for an apartment right over the road in st georges wharf.
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #58
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform
not as far as i know london lad.
right guys, ive got an interview with the chap developing these towers, anyone got any questions?

Yes please!
Its one you would certainly ask in any case im sure.

What is the realistic timescale for this project?

thank you

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #59
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

Here's a few questions
I'd like to know the environmental credentials? Photovoltalic cells could work well on that design and smooth the application process.
What is their vision for the Vauxhall area?
What floor areas (m2) will the appartments have?
Is 180m the realistic maximum for such a site in London or could taller residentials be profitable?
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #60
london lad

Goth- As has been mentioned- when they going in for planning?? when do they envisage this starting construction?? How long will it take & have they been consulting Lambeth throughout & whats Lambeth councils response??

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: