daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Tokyo Tower 44 12.09%
Eiffel Tower 320 87.91%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 14th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #41
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembau1958
At any moment I expect to see some guy in a monster rubber suit to show up and kick down the Tokyo Tower and then Ultraman showing up to kick it's butt out.

Eiffel Tower for me.
I have no problem with that

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #42
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 4987

I like Japan my vote goes to Tokyo

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:46 PM   #43
grachtengordeldier
Grachtengordeldier

Likes (Received): 0

Eiffeltower looks much more class. Tokio tower has awful colours en awful light on it, the shape is less elegant.
No one can beat Paris!
Still I must say that the last photo's of the Tokiotower I saw here are not bad.
grachtengordeldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:55 PM   #44
sdtj
-°- America's Finest -°-

Likes (Received): 57

I love Tokyo tower.....

Going up on Tokyo tower.

El peor enemigo de la verdad no es la mentira, sino la estupidez.
Lo tengo todo, por no querer mas nada..
sdtj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM   #45
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtj
Yep TT is taller period. Who said anything about the observatory? And the view is way more incredible, only there you can see Mt. Fuji and the immensity of Tokyo..

Well, yes. The Tokyo Tower is a tad taller, but as in their design, it's only the tiny pointy bit at the top, and that would hardly be noticeable. However, the observation deck is higher from the Eiffel Tower.

As for your opinion that the TT view is more incredible than the Eiffel, I would naturally presume this is based on you being to the top of both during a good clear day. If not, you could hardly make such a statement.

Personally, I think the view from the Eiffel tower is the most impressive I have seen from any tower I've been up in the world. The reason is based on several factors

* The Tower stands on it's own, so the views are not blocked by other buildings.
* The city's enormous density below and classical design of architecture, it's really an amazing site
* The location of the river Seine directly below the Tower, along with the Champ de Mars and Museums across the bank that perfectly align with symmetry.

I mean, Paris is considered to be one of the most beautiful city's on the planet, something that Tokyo, for all it's wonders and fantastic options, is not. So, obviously the view above one of the most beautiful city's would be one of the most impressive views.

from http://www.pbase.com/dramsay/profile

from http://www.pbase.com/mikem/profile

Full size: http://www.pbase.com/image/28055381

from http://www.pbase.com/nacef/profile

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #46
Justme
Gotta lite?

What I also love about the Eiffel Tower, is the amazing detail in the Iron Work. Unlike the Tokyo Tower, which is in fact nothing more than a TV Mast with an observation deck, the Eiffel Tower is a work of art.

The Space under the Tower is simply amazing. How many buildings this high are so freely supported on legs where you can walk under it almost like it's not even there. And consider the age!
from http://www.pbase.com/butts_corp/profile

And the amazing attention to detail!
from http://www.pbase.com/xhumari/profile

from http://www.pbase.com/david_oceandeep/profile

from http://www.pbase.com/rmcbee/profile

And the sheer elegance!
from http://www.pbase.com/terberg/profile

from http://www.fromparis.com/html/virtua...000093_01#pano

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:13 PM   #47
Justme
Gotta lite?

And if I havn't finally convinced you yet...

Some full screen panoramas from the most amazing photography site on the planet: http://www.fromparis.com/

Full screen panorama: http://www.fromparis.com/modules/qui...pano=000093_01

Full screen panorama: http://www.fromparis.com/modules/qui...pano=000093_04

Full screen panorama: http://www.fromparis.com/modules/qui...pano=000090_01

Full screen panorama: http://www.fromparis.com/modules/qui...pano=000093_01

Full screen panorama:

more can be found here: http://www.fromparis.com/html/virtua...000093_01#pano
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM   #48
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Some photos of the Unique Eiffel Tower :

In 2004 for the Chinese New Year:
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:32 PM   #49
Frogeater

The Tokyo tower is one of the very typical inferior copies in the 20th century. This was Japanese longing for western Europe, not Slavic Europe, but the Japanese tend to respect the Anglosaxons except for Anglo-Australians and the Germans as their senior even now, so most Japanese upstarts live in western-style houses. They are generally dexterous but poor at new ideas and designs. The Teutons (the ancient German tribes) that the Germans, the Anglosaxons and the Scandinavians belong to have always led the world in new ideas and designs.
Frogeater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:12 PM   #50
sdtj
-°- America's Finest -°-

Likes (Received): 57

Beautiful pictures just me, I never said that I didn't like the Eiffel tower. It is indeed very beautiful..

More Tokyo Tower.

El peor enemigo de la verdad no es la mentira, sino la estupidez.
Lo tengo todo, por no querer mas nada..
sdtj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:36 PM   #51
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Eiffel Tower.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #52
oskarj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogeater
The Tokyo tower is one of the very typical inferior copies in the 20th century. This was Japanese longing for western Europe, not Slavic Europe, but the Japanese tend to respect the Anglosaxons except for Anglo-Australians and the Germans as their senior even now, so most Japanese upstarts live in western-style houses. They are generally dexterous but poor at new ideas and designs. The Teutons (the ancient German tribes) that the Germans, the Anglosaxons and the Scandinavians belong to have always led the world in new ideas and designs.
i disagree Japanese people tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to northern europeans (white, blacks all non-asians really) for an example i have heard that they dont let us sleep at their traditional hotels, that there are hotels for whites, blacks and hotels for asians.
oskarj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #53
Artemy13
Advanced User

Likes (Received): 162

Eiffel Tower -

Tokyo Tower -
Artemy13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #54
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 3

Eiffel Tower
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #55
Chibcha2k
XPC Fagua chinanuca

Likes (Received): 464

Both simply stunning...but Eiffel has some "mojo"... I go for Eiffel
Taya juwaralain wane lapü jumaiwajatü
Vito Apüshana
Chibcha2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #56
unoh
unoh

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogeater
The Teutons (the ancient German tribes) that the Germans, the Anglosaxons and the Scandinavians belong to have always led the world in new ideas and designs.

I agree that teutons have always led the world in new ideas and designs
but far east people(korean, japanese) are higher than teutons in IQ...
korean students are the most superior in mathmatics and science....
and korea is world 2nd(85%) in the ratio of students who go on to a university or college (1st is finland)

Korean Students Rank First in Problem Solving

South Korean students topped the list for problem solving skills among 15-year-olds in the results of a global survey released Tuesday by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Korean students in the first grade of high school were also found to rank second for reading, third for math and fourth for science among 41 countries.In contrast, U.S. students took 18th place in reading, 22nd in science, 28th place in math and 29th in problem solving. The U.S.’ overall performance was about the same as Poland, Hungary and Spain.Japan lagged behind Korea, except in science in which it tied with Finland for first place. Japan ranked fourth in problem solving skills, 14th in reading and sixth in math.The OECD conducts the survey of the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) once every three years. Last year it considered about 280,000 students in 41 countries.In the survey, South Korean students ranked second in reading skills after Finland, up from sixth in 2000 PISA.In math proficiency, Korea dropped down a little from the previous level to third on the list after Hong Kong and Finland. Hong Kong joined the 2003 survey for the first time.Proficiency in problem solving, in which Korea showed a strong performance, was adopted for the first time in this survey. Hong Kong ranked second and Finland was third in this category.``We have shed our disgraceful image in education for a lack of creativity and ability in problem solving by achieving a high performance in this section in the recent survey,’’ the Korea Institute of Curriculum and Evaluation said.According to the report, even though Korea’s national income is 30 percent below the OECD average, its students are among the best performers among OECD member countries.Among students with scores in the top 5 percent, Korea ranked seventh in reading, up from 20th in 2000 PISA, third in math (up from fifth), and second in science (up from fifth) for an overall improvement from the previous study. The report also indicates that the gap in scholastic performance between Korean students in all aspects of learning is narrower than that of the OECD average, which means only a small disparity among students in Korea.In general, boys were found to outperform girls, except for in reading skills. Girls ranked third in problem solving and second in math and science among girls from other nations.The educational institute pointed out that better science education is required to improve and encourage students to have an interest in math and enhance girls’ scholastic performance in math and science.
"Overall, wealthier countries tend to do better in educational terms than poor nations, but there are exceptions: Korea`s national income, for example, is 30 per cent below the OECD average but its students are among the best performers in OECD countries," it said.

Despite high scores in math, Korean students report lower interest in and enjoyment of mathematics, lower levels of self-confidence and higher levels of anxiety with mathematics. Science proficiency also dropped off from first place in 2001 to fourth in 2003.

Korean male students did better than female students in every area except reading, and the gap turned out to be one of the highest compared to other countries.

More detailed comparison of students` achievements in 25 countries known as TIMSS or The Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study will be released early next week.

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

According to the statistics released by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the enrollment rate of Korean students receiving higher education recorded 85 percent last year, the highest in the world.

Japan’s enrollment rate of students attending higher educational institutes of colleges or above was 51 percent with Australia at 74 percent, the United States at 83 percent, France at 56 percent, Germany at 51 percent and Britain at 64 percent.

Even among advanced countries in education, Norway’s enrollment rate of students at higher educational institutions was 81 percent with Sweden standing at 83 percent and Demark at 67 percent.

Only Finland recorded 88 percent, surpassing South Korea’s enrollment rate

Last edited by unoh; March 25th, 2006 at 07:41 AM.
unoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #57
Kaiser
Herr

Likes (Received): 22

Eiffel Tower
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #58
SungIEman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoh
I agree that teutons have always led the world in new ideas and designs
but far east people(korean, japanese) are higher than teutons in IQ...
korean students are the most superior in mathmatics and science....
and korea is world 2nd(85%) in the ratio of students who go on to a university or college (1st is finland)

Korean Students Rank First in Problem Solving

South Korean students topped the list for problem solving skills among 15-year-olds in the results of a global survey released Tuesday by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Korean students in the first grade of high school were also found to rank second for reading, third for math and fourth for science among 41 countries.In contrast, U.S. students took 18th place in reading, 22nd in science, 28th place in math and 29th in problem solving. The U.S.’ overall performance was about the same as Poland, Hungary and Spain.Japan lagged behind Korea, except in science in which it tied with Finland for first place. Japan ranked fourth in problem solving skills, 14th in reading and sixth in math.The OECD conducts the survey of the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) once every three years. Last year it considered about 280,000 students in 41 countries.In the survey, South Korean students ranked second in reading skills after Finland, up from sixth in 2000 PISA.In math proficiency, Korea dropped down a little from the previous level to third on the list after Hong Kong and Finland. Hong Kong joined the 2003 survey for the first time.Proficiency in problem solving, in which Korea showed a strong performance, was adopted for the first time in this survey. Hong Kong ranked second and Finland was third in this category.``We have shed our disgraceful image in education for a lack of creativity and ability in problem solving by achieving a high performance in this section in the recent survey,’’ the Korea Institute of Curriculum and Evaluation said.According to the report, even though Korea’s national income is 30 percent below the OECD average, its students are among the best performers among OECD member countries.Among students with scores in the top 5 percent, Korea ranked seventh in reading, up from 20th in 2000 PISA, third in math (up from fifth), and second in science (up from fifth) for an overall improvement from the previous study. The report also indicates that the gap in scholastic performance between Korean students in all aspects of learning is narrower than that of the OECD average, which means only a small disparity among students in Korea.In general, boys were found to outperform girls, except for in reading skills. Girls ranked third in problem solving and second in math and science among girls from other nations.The educational institute pointed out that better science education is required to improve and encourage students to have an interest in math and enhance girls’ scholastic performance in math and science.
"Overall, wealthier countries tend to do better in educational terms than poor nations, but there are exceptions: Korea`s national income, for example, is 30 per cent below the OECD average but its students are among the best performers in OECD countries," it said.

Despite high scores in math, Korean students report lower interest in and enjoyment of mathematics, lower levels of self-confidence and higher levels of anxiety with mathematics. Science proficiency also dropped off from first place in 2001 to fourth in 2003.

Korean male students did better than female students in every area except reading, and the gap turned out to be one of the highest compared to other countries.

More detailed comparison of students` achievements in 25 countries known as TIMSS or The Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study will be released early next week.

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

According to the statistics released by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the enrollment rate of Korean students receiving higher education recorded 85 percent last year, the highest in the world.

Japan’s enrollment rate of students attending higher educational institutes of colleges or above was 51 percent with Australia at 74 percent, the United States at 83 percent, France at 56 percent, Germany at 51 percent and Britain at 64 percent.

Even among advanced countries in education, Norway’s enrollment rate of students at higher educational institutions was 81 percent with Sweden standing at 83 percent and Demark at 67 percent.

Only Finland recorded 88 percent, surpassing South Korea’s enrollment rate
mmm... sorry, but are you saying only Korea and Japan is far east, what about China? and this has nothing to do with higher IQ, it's cultural and years of education deprivation. Plus comparing IQ's just silly, IQ test has been proven to be inconsistant and biased.

This is sooo off-topic.
SungIEman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #59
R.E-S
Jigsaw

I like the Tokyo tower
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #60
Frogeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskarj
i disagree Japanese people tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to northern europeans (white, blacks all non-asians really) for an example i have heard that they dont let us sleep at their traditional hotels, that there are hotels for whites, blacks and hotels for asians.
According to my study at university 80% of Japanese traditional hotels is poor, unpopular and on the verge of ruin. The managers and staffs of poor, unpopular and small hotels have low academic backgrounds, more specifically not bachelors but high school graduates. The low academic background people like this are uneducated, rude and avoided from society and major companies.
Frogeater no está en línea   Reply With Quote