daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #121
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Likes (Received): 3517

BELGRADE | BESIX Tower | 333m

[IMG]http://i53.************/i5nn9d.jpg[/IMG]

Canceled!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #122
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Not a big waste Bez, let's admit that its design was pretty "fugly", hope they find a better project.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Brisavoine for the informative renders, to be honest I was unaware of the Axe Majeur project...would be so much better indeed with all that greenery & the underground roads! Let's wait & see...
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM   #123
Indeleble
Provia

Likes (Received): 4830

The Shard
Love it!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM   #124
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5849

Not sure why everyone seems to love hermitage, really ungracefull and awkwardly shaped buildings that spoil the symetry of La defense by not only being twin towers on one side of the grand arch but are also very much out of the cluster. now Phare is a stunning piece of architecture and the only highrise in Europe to match the shard and pinnacle (all 3 IMO some fo the best modern skyscrapers ever!)
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:55 PM   #125
Vladivostok53

Likes (Received): 3

Eurasia Moscow

Vladivostok53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:19 AM   #126
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6863

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Not sure why everyone seems to love hermitage, really ungracefull and awkwardly shaped buildings that spoil the symetry of La defense by not only being twin towers on one side of the grand arch but are also very much out of the cluster. now Phare is a stunning piece of architecture and the only highrise in Europe to match the shard and pinnacle (all 3 IMO some fo the best modern skyscrapers ever!)
That's the whole point - "IMO". IMO, Hermitage towers are amazing and from the renderings they look more striking than The Shard... to me at least. Again, I'm not denying that to you it may be the other way around as, it seems, it really is.

Regarding the cluster, Hermitage will be much more in the "cluster" than The Shard yet you don't seem to have any objections. I must say The Shard has a really bad location. It would look much better in the City or, even better, Canary Wharf. London Bridge is certainly not the best location for city's No.1 modern landmark.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:43 AM   #127
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

yea.. I like the shard but the Hermitage looks even better!
they will be beautiful!

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:09 AM   #128
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I completely forgot about this thread.

This recent picture by forumer Chest shows what Renzo Piano was talking about quite well:

And another by Nauticat:

image hosted on flickr

I for one can't wait to see the effect when the cladding is finished.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #129
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
That's the whole point - "IMO". IMO, Hermitage towers are amazing and from the renderings they look more striking than The Shard... to me at least. Again, I'm not denying that to you it may be the other way around as, it seems, it really is.

Regarding the cluster, Hermitage will be much more in the "cluster" than The Shard yet you don't seem to have any objections. I must say The Shard has a really bad location. It would look much better in the City or, even better, Canary Wharf. London Bridge is certainly not the best location for city's No.1 modern landmark.
I just dont see where you are coming from, to me hermitage is top heavy and looks unstable (yes i know from other angles its the oposite effect), this top heavy effect leaves them feeling very inelegant 'IMO'. The whole premise of the buildings is based on this top heavy effect (which you either love or hate) but also there seems to be a lack of architectural detail as seen in the shard and Phare which really makes them not stand out as architectural masterpieces. The fact that there are two towers negates them as stand out pieces of archtecture as there are two of them and therefore not unique, with no apparent link as seen in the Petronas towers (again missing the level of detail they have). Where the shard succeds is that it is a singular expression of architecture, soaring high above all around it, such as the eiffel tower, Empire state, taipei 101, burj dubai, IFC2, etc. It would be less of an architectural masterpiece if it was in a cluster, as it would loose its soar factor, its unique form would be hidden and its architectural detail lost. I wouldnt say london had a number 1 modern landmark as it could easily be contested amongst a number of buildings but IMO most comonly the London eye, and in skyscraper terms Swiss RE has laid a stong identity. All of this is IMO but maybe you can point me in the direction of where you are looking at hermitage from?
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #130
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

You're entitled to your opinion Cardiff, no problem about that. However I particularly disagree on that The fact that there are two towers negates them as stand out pieces of archtecture as there are two of them and therefore not unique, indeed Hermitage Plaza twin towers are working very well IMO because they're 2, they have a great design but not sure that one single tower would give such an impressive "wow", they are meant to be 2. A project like this (furthermore 'mixed use') hasn't been seen so far in Europe, there are lots of enthusiastic feedbacks from our american comrades (among others) who would have loved to have those built instead of 1WTC (which I like much though), the former WTC would not have been that iconic if they hadn't been twins I think (visible in so many movies). I personally love the design of our Hermitage Plaza towers (very thin at the base and then gradually wider as they go up), I also love the fact that the sideways view actually is the exact shape of the tower, but on the other way round...to my knowledge, I don't know any other building having that particularity!
I love Foster's designs, and between his twins & myself, it's been love at first sight, and I'm fairly sure they will be as famous as our beloved Eiffel tower in the decades to come. Let's wait for those to get built, and we'll discuss it then .

PS: Shard is a top building as well (I'm used to posting on its thread too).

Old October 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #131
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4748

Bring it on LONDON ;-)
Brum X está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #132
cardiff

I guess it just comes down to whether you like the top heavyness or not, i dont but other do. Fora supertall i would rather Paris had something more Parisian, avant garde and basically Phare.
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #133
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion Cardiff, no problem about that. However I particularly disagree on that The fact that there are two towers negates them as stand out pieces of archtecture as there are two of them and therefore not unique, indeed Hermitage Plaza twin towers are working very well IMO because they're 2, they have a great design but not sure that one single tower would give such an impressive "wow", they are meant to be 2.
I do agree with this. I like the designs, however I think the fact that it's a twin tower project gives it an extra edge and will make them more iconic. That's not to say they're poor individually though. The original WTC would not have been as iconic had it been a single tower, IMO. There's got to be a reason why everyone remembers them as 'the Twin Towers'. And despite the comments that it unbalances the cluster, the more I think about it, I just don't think it would work if there was one either side of the Arch. Not to mention the fact that it would be harder to acquire to separate sites. I think I prefer it the way it is.

P.S. Here is a great new photo of the Shard's construction taken by new forumer, pe7er_w2lich.

Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #134
AMS guy
hipp-E

It's going to be a battle between The Shard and The Ermitage. I can't decide yet.
AMS guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #135
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1374

I thought there was a Supertall planned for Frankfurt that was around 300 meters high?
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #136
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
i would rather Paris had something more Parisian, avant garde and basically Phare.
Paris will also have its 284m (932 ft) Osmose Tower by Jean-Michel Wilmotte, so don't worry about avant-garde.

The French chef Guy Savoy plans to open the higest restaurant in Europe on the 71st floor of the tower:

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #137
Pansori
planquadrat

Is this getting built? Now THAT's a design!
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #138
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Wilmotte is currently negociating with some Chinese investors from what we know. The site where it is to be built is currently empty, so it will be much easier to obtain the building permit and start construction than with either Phare or Hermitage.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #139
Pansori
planquadrat

They better get the permit. That would easily be my favorite skyscraper in Europe. So graceful.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #140
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Very easy choice, it's the one in St.Pet