daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Θεσσαλονίκη | Thessaloniki

Θεσσαλονίκη | Thessaloniki Μητροπολιτική Θεσσαλονίκη | Metropolitan Thessaloniki

Old December 15th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1
cosmos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Mediterranean Cosmos Mall in Thessaloniki (my shots)

Personal opinion... I didn't like our mall!
cosmos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #2
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 563

Facts: From Lamda Development Website

Mediterranean Cosmos, located in the Municipality of Pylea, an area southeast of Thessaloniki, is the first and largest commercial and leisure centre of its kind in Northern Greece, offering local residents, international business visitors and tourists a compelling blend of retail, leisure and cultural activities.

The Centre stands on a site covering 250,000 m2, with easy access from the city centre and surrounding areas, and is just five minutes away from the “Macedonia” international airport, major highways, junction points and five-star hotels.

The Centre is a brand new and particularly significant business product for the Greek market, based on similar models that have been tried and tested with success world-wide.

Designed to attract people of all ages, the Centre offers a unique combination of shopping areas and high quality services.

Mediterranean Cosmos includes a wide array of retail facilities, such as: a supermarket, well-known retail chains, a full range of smaller retail businesses, a variety of leisure areas, a multiplex cinema and entertainment facilities for the entire family. In addition, a traditional “Greek village” and “cultural neighbourhood” will be created within the Centre, comprising a church, an exhibition area for cultural crafts, traditional taverns and a small outdoor 400-seat amphitheatre where musical events, dance performances and festivals will be staged.

The Centre has been developed on two main levels, with 220 shop units covering a total area of approximately 46,350 m2, which is served by indoor pathways and about 3,000 above-ground parking spaces, balancing access requirements between five main entrances.

Innovative architectural and construction details allow Mediterranean Cosmos to integrate naturally with its surroundings. Inside the centre, a multitude of roads and squares has been created to reflect the character of the traditional cities of Northern Greece, in combination with the advantages of a modern city centre.

With a budget of more than ú100 million, Mediterranean Cosmos represents a tremendous business opportunity. The Centre had being developed in collaboration with an international leader in similar developments, Sonae Sierra. In Greece, Sierra-Charagionis S.A. has been participating with a 39.9% stake in the investment since June 2002. Mediterranean Cosmos opened its doors to the public on October 25th 2005.

LAMDA Development has developed a strategic synergy as regards the property management of Mediterranean Cosmos with the company Sonae Sierra and holds the 25% of the company MC Property Management S.A., which is responsible for the property management of the Shopping Centre.

My view: From the pictures it looks very good. I wish I could go the North just for a weekend.

Thanks for the pics
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 342

wow its great! Im so glad Thessaloniki is finally getting a chance to shine. Not only in the real world but also in this forum. Its just so neglected. We should post some thessaloniki pics on World Wide forums here on SSC. Anyway Great photos!
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #4
george_ts

Likes (Received): 0

Bravo cosmos nice pics

one question why you didnt like the mall can you give us your oppinion
I mean form the pics looks good but I havent see it live so I can only guess

thanks

george
george_ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #5
Giorgio

This is bigger than the mall isnt it? (230 shops?)
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #6
george_ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
This is bigger than the mall isnt it? (230 shops?)

no the total lease area is 40.000 way less then the mall
the shops are just smaller this is why there are so more in numbers
george_ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Giorgio

ohk.
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #8
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_ts
no the total lease area is 40.000 way less then the mall
the shops are just smaller this is why there are so more in numbers
The leasable space is some 12,000m less in the mediterranean cosmos. However, the estate is much bigger and this makes it look more like a mall in North America.

It also has 935 car parking spaces more than the Mall Athens. Also, not to forget the Greek village and other outdoor attractions. C'mon the damn thing rocks!!!
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #9
Giorgio

I only dont like the wooden supports. They look cheap.
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #10
skylinearth
Simple User

Likes (Received): 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2263
However, the estate is much bigger and this makes it look more like a mall in North America.
That's right. When I went there I was tired by walking around the mall. Also there is a part of the mall that is not shown in the photos. I mean the place with the cafeterias, restaurants etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2263
It also has 935 car parking spaces more than the Mall Athens.
Yes but the mall Athens has a metro station there right? Here everybody has to visit it with his car.
skylinearth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #11
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Source: http://www.photoreportage.gr/photoDe...&folderID=True

Christmas at the Med Cosmos Mall

Old December 15th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #12
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Also, look fere for a fact sheet in .pdf format (requires Arobe Acrobat Reader ) in Greek containing a very detailed list of factoids.

http://www.retailstore.gr/downloads/...N%20COSMOS.pdf
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #13
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 52

wonderful pictures cosmos

Nobody should worry for this mall. This is just a beginning, everything happens stap by stap. The one who built this mall just tests te potential of the city and people. If such places make job, others and greaters will be openned. An investor can't take any risk without seing the results...

so, guys if you want to better things, you will visit these malls. You have to eat at the restaurants and buy something from the stores... everything will be imporved accroding to you...
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #14
alexx02

Likes (Received): 1

Jesus Christ.

Is that a mall in New Jersey, or one in the outskirts of Boston?

Oh no, it's in Thessaloniki. Is this really considered progress? It's not, it's a disaster.

I guess I'm going to see it firsthand this Christmas.
alexx02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #15
Giorgio

Why is it a disaster?
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #16
Prometheus
A pimp named Slickback

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx02
Jesus Christ.

Is that a mall in New Jersey, or one in the outskirts of Boston?

Oh no, it's in Thessaloniki. Is this really considered progress? It's not, it's a disaster.

I guess I'm going to see it firsthand this Christmas.
I guess you mean the "mall mentality".

An isolated mall here and there where consumer demographics allow is the way Alexx.

But Greece must indeed be alittle wary of the "mall mentality" and try not to overdo it.

Virtual Greece

MACEDONIA:HELLENIC AND PROUD
Prometheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #17
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Posted by Konstantinoupolis in the New Constructions thread, this aerial shows the abundance of space in "Mediterranean Cosmos" during its construction stage. The little village with the church and the Tavernas must be to the low-left side of the pic. No sir, not such an openness exists in Athens, not AT LEAST up to as far as 20 km from the centre of the city... That's why I spoke about US-style mall...

On the far left, you can see another attraction of the area pgf Pylaia in Thessaloniki, the New Hall of Sciences with its spherical panoramic I-max cinema dome...

Really good picture. Bravo Thessaloniki...

Last edited by gm2263; December 16th, 2005 at 05:54 PM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #18
Landos
BANNED

I like the looks of this Mall! Greeks have always been innovative and willing to try new things. Lets not be overly critical until it's had a chance to perform. Malls are new for Greece, but I think the citizens will like the convenience and the "social aspect" of shopping inside. After all, who devised the Agora concept?? Greeks invented the first outdoor malls 3000 years ago! Lets try indoor malls now. Cool, great, superb!
Landos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #19
skylinearth
Simple User

Likes (Received): 295

Mediterranean Cosmos in summer

summer pics...

outside

surrounding areas:

Magic Park

IKEA (FLORIDA 1 shopping centre)

FLORIDA 2 shopping centre

Interbalkan Medical centre

skylinearth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #20
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 2

Wow!!! 250,000 sq meters! It reminds me Aventura Mall in Miami where I go very often each time I visit that city.

Also, this is the pure essence of a mall. Leasable space for shops, plus space for big chains like Village, Hondos Center, Super Markets and such connected to the main central shopping are.

That's the difference between a Shopping Center and a mall, the Shopping Center lack the big chains departments stores joined to the Shopping Center while the malls have'em.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote