daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #61
Michalek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

well, it's not gonna be the tallest residential. the turning torso is 190m, and warsaw's libeskind tower will be 192m (roof). this tower looks ok, but the design is a little dull i think.
Michalek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #62
oki

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronier
In 10 years from now, London will look more like an Asian city rather than like a European city.
look at london Skyscraper architecture, only the size will be asian, the lodnon architecture is lightyears ahead
oki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #63
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Courtesy of Grotbags at http://www.skyscrapernews.com:

Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #64
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

The website has now been updated.

There are now two pile drivers on the site:

Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #65
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Is OK but nothing special. Just your average tower that looks like every other tower.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #66
birminghamculture
BANNED

Hang on a minute lol - someone started this thread a bit confused as to what this tower was. Dont get us wrong, the only reason many are paying attention to this tower is because its one of the tallest going up in London. Its nothing special, but its nothing awful. Its a very nice design with an elegant facade. If I was to give it a mark out of 10 it would be a 7.

Its good, lacks excitement, but it doesnt need it. I would personally love an apartment in it.

It will add a new dimension to Canary Wharf and if you cant see that (Camaway - who never has anything to say but negative comments towards London anyway) then you really shouldnt be on these boards.
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #67
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60762

I like this tower. The view would be interesting, as most of the nearby office towers don't allow the public to view from its upper floors.
Ontario tower looks better, but this one is taller.
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #68
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6827

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk
As others said, this isn't a masterpiece, however it is a superb looking tower and a great addition to the ever-expanding London skyline.
The tower itself is beautiful, exactly what a residential building should look like IMO, elegant and yet modern.
BTW, 50 floors and 147m okay, pretty tall, but the Triumph Palace in Moscow is higher than that.
there are actually at least 7 fully residential towers in moscow over 147m, the tallest one Triumph Palace is 264m, as you notted. plus dozen is u/c. CoC: Moscow tower is going to be 268m. Plus Turning Torso (partially office however, afaik) plus towers in Istanbul and Rotterdam plus Warsawian plans...

but still nice tower, somehow looks like Gold Coast style.

Last edited by coth; December 19th, 2005 at 04:05 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #69
Camaway
Rimini expat

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamculture
It will add a new dimension to Canary Wharf and if you cant see that (Camaway - who never has anything to say but negative comments towards London anyway) then you really shouldnt be on these boards.
Anyone who does not agree with you that London (or anything in England for what matters) is the best the world has to offer has a bias according to your view. Whatever.

Reality is that I find London exciting and I think Swiss Re is Europe's best skyscraper by a mile.

The Docklands though fail to excite me: architecture is modern, it's developing in a compact cluster but there is not a single building I actually like. They are all square, anonymous towers that belong of a mid-sized city in North America, not Europe's largest metropolis.

If you can't take a single criticism about a building in London then I suggest you not to venture outside the UK forum, you'll be safer there.
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #70
birminghamculture
BANNED

Camaway - critcism can be taken but not like this and dont try and turn it round on me ... this is what im getting at. Not only do you bash London, you also bash Manila and Minnepolis in the same post. Believe me, I dislike immensly somethings going on in London. Infact London is the city I am jealous most of but also fascinated with. Not only can it produce amazing structures, Wembley, Swiss RE, The Dome but it can also produce monstrosities ... Its what you expect from major cities. Also if you didnt read my post clearly and got brainwashed by your name, I stated its a nice residential tower, but lacks excitment. Doesnt mean I think its amazing or rubbish, it just states I think its a nice tower in a nice position worthy of a 7/10 - im sure you woudlnt mind this tower being built in your city.

Quote:
Why can't they build something decent in the Docklands?

What is with this chunky boxes that belong to a Minneapolis, not to London?

This new residential tower does not look attractive even in the renders, in reality will end up being like a Manila condo
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #71
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

This tower doesn't look that great TBH and I think it will look worse in 10 years time. I wish it had a more shapely design so it stands out more from the rest of CW.
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #72
Phobos

What happened to the spire
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #73
alexandros1984

Likes (Received): 6

wont Turning torso be 57 floors ???
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #74
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

If that's a masterpiece it tells enough about London itself.
And Europe's tallest...yeah that sure sounds like a typical Brittish point of view.
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #75
birminghamculture
BANNED

For F*** sake you pansies. How many times have we gone over this? The kid got it wrong.

Skyview - London has just as many if not more masterpieces in its collection then probably any other city
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM   #76
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

LOOKS NICE

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM   #77
london lad

Likes (Received): 2260

Its amazing one fourmmers personal opinion gets everyones teeth gnashing- calm down.

Its an alright tower not brilliant & not dreadful (there much better other towers proposed in London, the Uk , Europe etc)- Its also not Euoprs tallewst but quite tall none the less (big of marketing spin from the developers me thinks) & is important for London as its the first real tall resi going up in London since the Barbican in the late 70's early 80's & is the first of hopefully many tall residentials going up in the are around Canary Wharf.

Its suits the towers in Canary Wharf & I would agree this area is a little too blocky & most of the towers i the area dont get me very excited. however there are some real groundbreaking skyscrapers planned & going to be built elsewhere so that more than compensates for avaergae looking blocks.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM   #78
Sitback
NW London baby!

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyView
If that's a masterpiece it tells enough about London itself.
And Europe's tallest...yeah that sure sounds like a typical Brittish point of view.
Calm down you complete idiot.
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:10 PM   #79
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 264

For crying out loud people! The thread title is misleading. It is not a world class skyscraper in terms of modern design. And furthermore look who created the thread, a guy with no reputation with 1 post and probably a troll who made the account to start controversy. Please get a grip.

Okay with that out of the way. Sure London can do better, infact it already has done better. Even I know this isn't the tallest resi in Europe so people can get that out of thier heads. Its just an ordinary Canary Wharf style box tower that's going up for residential purposes. The current status is groundworks has begun with the core hopefully rising in Jan/Feb.

Thanks alot! (BTW sorry for the large text, just to get peoples attention)
eXSBass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM   #80
gunners

Likes (Received): 0

ok people i see that there has been some misunderstanding about my post.
1) yes i admit i am new to this and i admit that i have MISTAKINGLY put inaccurate information about the tower.
2) russia is NOT in europe some people need to take some geography lessons
3) the tower is i think a very good addition to the london skyline, its not abstract but its individual to the area, and it has 50+ floors of residential and the adjacent tower is going to be a hotel.

in future it would be good if you gave advice to people like me and not just critisise my mistakes a little help goes a long way you know.

by the way i have been to toronto etc and i love some of the towers they have over there so im not just bias to London
gunners no está en línea   Reply With Quote