daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:10 PM   #401
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I think there are some newer ones, but its difficult to understand what is actually completely new, and what is just recently refurbished: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_K...#Fleet_history
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:04 PM   #402
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

Trams actually get their dedicated right of way in many parts of the core area, most notably the stretch into Pacific Place. The problem is cars get in the way where lane sharing takes place, so the solution is how to entice these vehicles off the road. Congestion pricing has been on the table for long, but they need to get the bypass running in the reclaimed areas for a sustainable long-term solution.

Trams are successful because they offer more frequent stops, but by no means are their stops that close in the central area to warrant removal. If there are too many cars on the road, removing stops won't solve anything.

Swede liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #403
Silly_Walks

Yes, you are basically repeating what I said. However, sometimes distance between stops is less than 120 meters, on dedicated right of way. In which case removal of a stop could lead to a significant increase in average speed, without decreasing coverage significantly. But as I already said, you need to be careful with this, as short distances between stops is one of the selling points of the tram.
Old October 25th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #404
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Can you provide a list of right-of-way areas where stops are excessively close that need to be removed so to materially and significantly reduce journey times?
Old October 25th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #405
Silly_Walks

Listen, I specifically said: "Stops that aren't used a lot can be removed to increase the average speed, although this should be done with care, as one of the tram's selling points is its high density of stops."

I didn't say they should just remove lots of stops willy-nilly. It wasn't at all the main way I said average speeds could be increased. Not sure why you are focusing on it. Anyway, I speak from experience. Take the tram yourself sometime. You will see sometimes its stops are less than 200 meters apart, which is very low even for trams.
Old October 25th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #406
hkskyline
Hong Kong

What are these stops then?

From my experience taking trams, average speeds are primarily impacted by traffic bottlenecks due to traffic sharing, not distance between even the least used stops. This should not be surprising for a frequent user.
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #407
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
What are these stops then?

From my experience taking trams, average speeds are primarily impacted by traffic bottlenecks due to traffic sharing, not distance between even the least used stops. This should not be surprising for a frequent user.
"From my experience taking trams, average speeds are primarily impacted by traffic bottlenecks due to traffic sharing", which is exactly what I said. You are just looking for conflict.

Anyway, once the tram has achieved complete right of way and is no longer obstructed by other traffic, they can, carefully, look at distance between traffic stops. In some places there is around 200 meter distance between them, which doesn't make sense. An average of about 400 meters is better for trams.

Seriously, just take the tram some time when it's not busy on the road, and you'll see it still stops way too often to achieve a proper average speed.
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #408
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
"From my experience taking trams, average speeds are primarily impacted by traffic bottlenecks due to traffic sharing", which is exactly what I said. You are just looking for conflict.

Anyway, once the tram has achieved complete right of way and is no longer obstructed by other traffic, they can, carefully, look at distance between traffic stops. In some places there is around 200 meter distance between them, which doesn't make sense. An average of about 400 meters is better for trams.

Seriously, just take the tram some time when it's not busy on the road, and you'll see it still stops way too often to achieve a proper average speed.
The entire tram line will not get a full right of way. Period. Many roads in the core only have 1 traffic lane on its own, so removing the optional 2nd lane that vehicles share with the tram will cause traffic chaos. So we won't get to the second part of your post at all.
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #409
Silly_Walks

We'll see.
Old October 28th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #410
hkskyline
Hong Kong

R1000226 by cy.photography, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old October 30th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #411
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Night at Sheung Wan, Hong Kong by johnlsl, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old November 1st, 2015, 08:59 AM   #412
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

After seeing this video taken from the upper deck of a Hong Kong tram looking forward on a trip from Shau Kei Wan westward to Kennedy Town:

I realize just how much Hong Kong Island has changed since the last time I was there in 1989. And this video was taken two years ago.

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #413
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

Amazing, Hongkong's traffic direction is left hand side, but other Chinese cities are right hand side!!! Why Hongkong has this difference?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #414
Silly_Walks

Old November 8th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #415
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Amazing, Hongkong's traffic direction is left hand side, but other Chinese cities are right hand side!!! Why Hongkong has this difference?
hong kong was a british colony.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #416
hkskyline
Hong Kong

HONG KONG TRAMWAYS 111TH ANNIVERSARY_香港電車一百一十一週年 by hans-johnson, on Flickr

Old November 13th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #417
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Night at Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong by johnlsl, on Flickr

Old November 14th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #418
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Des Voeux Road West, Hong Kong, 2014 by november-13, on Flickr

Old November 14th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #419
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

Hongkong trams has some similarities, with my city Kolkata trams. Both uses mostly unreserved track, and both uses trolley pole. Although I personally don’t support trolleypole becuae it often slip from wire, but no-doubt it adds a heritage value.

But after completely opening of Island line metro, But I’m afraid; will not it be a threat to the tram system? Because it runs parallel with the main tram routes from Kennedy Town to Shau Kei Wan. I hope, ther will not be any bad effect, but is it still profitable? Because most passenger will prefer metro than tram due to metro is much faster. I think, they should extend tram lines to those areas where is not metro lines.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #420
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Times Square Hong Kong by Richard Schneider, on Flickr

Tags
hongkong, tram