daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: High-rise Capital of the World is...
China 212 41.17%
Brazil 52 10.10%
USA 239 46.41%
A three way tie 12 2.33%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #201
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by macon4ever
The country of Taiwan.
I think Dubai builds more than Shanghai over 30 stories IMO.
Just because of the booming development does not mean it is the highrise capital of the world.

I highly doubt that. The population of Shanghai is upwards of 16 million (very conservative). With migrant workers / undercount this number is likely closer to 30 million. This is the #1 city in mainland China and 1.3 billion people are looking for opportunity. If you have ever been to Shanghai, you will realize how crazy that claim is.

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:38 AM   #202
niels1

Likes (Received): 0

I agree with this. I live in Shanghai and according to Chinese news Shanghai past 20.000.000 in 2002 and is growing around 3.000.000 to 5.000.000 per year. So it have to be around more likely above 30.000.000 on the moment because Shanghai is the biggest Chinese city.

And about buildings there are a lot of buildings under construction on the moment (every were in China). And China has very many large Cities just think about it who heard about Chongqing this is a City with about 30.000.000 people in China. And there are over 200 Cities in China with more then 1.000.000 people (Brazil has 14 above 1.000.000)

the buildings that they are building are getting higher and higher. And many of them are not mentioned on websites, and how can they stay track on the buildings in china. This is going so fast here!

(I get more and more the idée that China wand to have the highest, biggest for every thing no matter the cost! Think about the shopping malls, dam, bridge china all have the biggest, fastest train).

Dubai might now building the highest building. But I don’t think it will take long before it will be over taken by a Chinese building.

And for Dubai I think this is calculated on growing rate in %, because the grow per year of just shanghai is as big as Dubai will ever get.

just have a look at this movie:
mms://msnbc.wmod.llnwd.net/fc/a275/e1/video/100/c_otm_shangai_060510.asf#0;1.000;0;0;1:2;2:2

and about the dam:
mms://msnbc.wmod.llnwd.net/fc/a275/e1/video/100/n_sabine_3gorgesdam_060520.asf#0;1.000;0;0;1:2;2:2

just copy the links in internet explorer

Last edited by niels1; June 4th, 2006 at 03:22 PM.
niels1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM   #203
lakegz

Likes (Received): 32

if you were an architecture student focusing on skyscrapers and you had to pick one country to live and study in, would you choose the US, or China? Would you want your basis of knowledge to start in 1900 or 1980?
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #204
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

G-d it just bugs me when people say that in Dubai you have the largest number of buildings over 30 stories being build and generally oberblow the truth about it. Dubai is all about building impressive huge projects eg. The Burj, Palm Islands, Airport, Mall, World Islands. Dubai is building huge but small in numbers. It the City with the most impressive and daring constructions in the world. But that's just it.

How can you compare the high rise construction of a city ONE million with a city that is growing in population atleast two times bigger PER YEAR such as Shanghai?!

Do you think all those millions move to the city to live in small houses in the Shanghai suburbs? No. They live in large residential towers which are multiplying like bacteria in Shanghai.

China is the king of skyscrapers in both numbers of both existing and constructing buildings. Emporis is ridiculously innacurate and all people know it so it will be wise to stop quoting its data.

VRC/D International is right one the money. China IS INDEED using a 3rd of world steel production and half of the concrete. China has literally just started urbanising its society. There are 300 million Chinese in rural areas waiting to migrate to the big cities. Can you possible imagine what will happen to Chinese urban areas when they do by 2050? Metropolies stretching for miles and miles will be a usual sight.
WhiteMagick está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #205
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 228

Only USA have a full of beutiful building Brazil and China have 1 or 2,so my vote is USA
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #206
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

China for me!

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #207
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

All those countires lead in differnt fields of High rises. USA has the highest quality of buildings with a good urban planning, also the best designers of skyscrapers come the US.

China leads in quantity and usage, almost every city in China has skyscrapers, they're almost everywhere.

Brazil's cites, like Sao Paulo, have skyscrapers that stretch as far as the eye can see.
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #208
The Baz
Season Tix Avail

Likes (Received): 5

The idea that the high-rise capital should have the most influence seems to give the USA a chance at the title. I still think that as far as highrises go, China might win out because the incredible quantity. If this was skyscraper, or skyline, capital of the world USA could be more easily picked

But then again as far as high-rise capital the US does have many many smaller cities with skylines and high rises that go unnoticed.

Last edited by The Baz; June 19th, 2006 at 11:35 PM.
The Baz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #209
kenworth
Toronto

Ofcorse will be the highest skylines in China becose ther live 1,315,844,000 people.
kenworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #210
kenworth
Toronto

But i am more interested in countrys who haves not just skyscrapers.Like have some historycal architecture buildings.
kenworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #211
kamil.bukowski
Kamil00

Likes (Received): 1

For me China
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #212
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

They all have their strengths. USA is developed and settled in, starting way before everyone else. I have to say for now, the US buildings are more agreeable, but China's new glass towers will outdo the US soon!

Still, the two's characters are so distinctly different.

Brazil lacks the fame and character that US has, reminds me a bit of uncontrollable urban sprawl
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #213
coolink
fearless

Likes (Received): 5468

USA is the winner, but more people will take a bet on china, because they have over 1billion people...1.300.000.000. .....USA only has 300.000.000 their population is 4 times larger
coolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #214
Brasil Guy

I go for China.

Chinese cities have the density of Brazilian cities and the height and unusual achitecture found in some cities in the US.

Its a nice combination.
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #215
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

China, of course.
No other country in the world comes even close to having as many impressive skylines as China.

7/10 of the world tallest buildings are Chinese (ie. not PRC alone) as well.

This is not debatable. The reason why USA has gotten more votes is simply because the amount of US forumers is maybe 40-50 times the number of Chinese forumers.
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #216
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
China, of course.
No other country in the world comes even close to having as many impressive skylines as China.
I disagree. I think the USA is close or has more impressive skylines then china. anyway, my vote it the USA.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #217
Dudly
Dudly

I think China is. Chinese cities skylines are amazing. I think the US created the skycraper culture but China perfected. Brazil in the other hand shouldn't be in this competition eve Sao Paulo looks small when compared to Chinese cities they have density and height.
Dudly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #218
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15908

How many 200m+ higrises are built in Brazil?

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #219
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

China is a massive, massive, massive country.
take shanghai for example...theyre about to have a second supertall, and they also have that huge tower on the waterfront... its just amazing.

I mean I live in the USA so I know the quality of our skylines...
but in terms of numbers I think China is winning!

Im not so sure about our countries as a whole...our medium population (250,000-500,000) cities probably have wayyy better skylines than Chinese cities of similar population.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #220
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

I can say quantity of skyscrapers in China is unbeatable. But one can argue that in terms of quality U.S is still the best. It will take probably a few years though for China to catch up. It is getting richer by the day...

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote