daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: High-rise Capital of the World is...
China 212 41.17%
Brazil 52 10.10%
USA 239 46.41%
A three way tie 12 2.33%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #121
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Skyscrapers are a Western influence, so no Asian country has any right to claim that they are the skyscraper capital. It all started in the US, they invented it, they patented it, they perfected the art of the SKYSCRAPER so it would be them 100000000%. Even though DUbai builds a skyscraper to the Moon, no other country in the world can match what Americans did to international infrastructure.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #122
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 488

^ What a pigheaded statement lol.

The question wasnt "Who first discovered a viable method of building higher stably, but is now being outbuilt by other countries"

China clearly takes it. Brazil has alot but china is more grand in its scale
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #123
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtAkAw
Skyscrapers are a Western influence, so no Asian country has any right to claim that they are the skyscraper capital. It all started in the US, they invented it, they patented it, they perfected the art of the SKYSCRAPER so it would be them 100000000%. Even though DUbai builds a skyscraper to the Moon, no other country in the world can match what Americans did to international infrastructure.
Nobody owns skyscrapers not even the United States. If The Bank Of China was built in Kuala Lumpur than it's Malaysia's

Comparing China (including HK & Macau) with Brazil. China's quality is much better!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #124
Tazmaniadevil

Likes (Received): 1

Can anyone name a world class "high rise" in Brazil?? You can't because there are none. I've been to Brazil and I liked their cities a lot. I consider Rio to be the most beautiful city in the world. But I don't care how many high rises are in Brazil. The country in no way can claim to be the high rise capital of the world. That is totally ludicrous. Be happy that you have a good climate, beautiful people, and great cities.
Tazmaniadevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #125
Mali
קוסובו היא סרביה

Likes (Received): 70

My vote goes to China!
Mali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #126
Artemy13
Advanced User

Likes (Received): 162

Certainly china
Artemy13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #127
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 714

Shanghai is just huge. I wish more of their residential buildings looked better.
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:38 AM   #128
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmaniadevil
Can anyone name a world class "high rise" in Brazil?? You can't because there are none. I've been to Brazil and I liked their cities a lot. I consider Rio to be the most beautiful city in the world. But I don't care how many high rises are in Brazil. The country in no way can claim to be the high rise capital of the world. That is totally ludicrous. Be happy that you have a good climate, beautiful people, and great cities.
The only thing that Brazil can boast about their skyline is density but when it comes to quality, forget it. Anyway, Brazilian high-rises like the ones in Sao Paulo are mostly brand and bombed with alot of pichecao tags. The only impressive buildings that I find in the city are the ones with Microsoft!

On the other hand, most of Shanghai's residential flats are typical of the most high-rise commieblocks that you'll see in this country though alot of luxury flats and condos are sprouting.

Old January 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #129
BrunoFoca

Likes (Received): 399

hahahah give me a break, go to brazilian forum and then come back with the pics of the Berrini, Faria Lima, Copacabana.
BrunoFoca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #130
Art Deco
The Original Skyline

Likes (Received): 2

Hong Kong should go ahead and be a separate option on this poll. Although part of mainland China, it is constitutionally entitled to a very high degree of self-governing; for example, it retains its own legal system, currency, customs, treaty negotiating rights, such as air traffic and aircraft landing rights, and immigration laws. It even maintains its own road rules. Only national defense and diplomatic relations are the responsibilities of the central government in mainland China.

It can take on all three countries by itself, especially after ICC. And win.
Art Deco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #131
dingyunyang179

Likes (Received): 139

so many replies.
dingyunyang179 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #132
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco
Hong Kong should go ahead and be a separate option on this poll. Although part of mainland China, it is constitutionally entitled to a very high degree of self-governing; for example, it retains its own legal system, currency, customs, treaty negotiating rights, such as air traffic and aircraft landing rights, and immigration laws. It even maintains its own road rules. Only national defense and diplomatic relations are the responsibilities of the central government in mainland China.

It can take on all three countries by itself, especially after ICC. And win.
I even think that HK should be excluded in the list (China).

Old January 20th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #133
Franky

Likes (Received): 9

The answer is definitely China. In my opinion, the skylines of Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Chongqing, and Guangzhou definitely beat any American or Brazilian cities. They have really super tall and super cool buildings, but also their share of ugly ones. But in general, I prefer Pudong to Manhattan.
Franky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM   #134
Alboboy11
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

u gotta be joking, america of course...America, the first country to start building these skyscrapers..when America was building skyscprapers the rest of the world was watchin in amazement!
Alboboy11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:10 AM   #135
Clashman

Likes (Received): 18

When one considers China as the growing economic behemoth that it is, one has to take into consideration the fact that the majority of China's people still live as peasant farmers in the countryside, not in the highrises of Shanghai. Brazil is still a significantly more urbanized and, (per capita), richer country than China is, and so the population of China doesn't necessarily mean that it has more highrises.

Moreover, one could also discount Hong Kong from China's total, as the vast majority of highrise growth there was engineered under British control, not Chinese.

However, I would actually agree with General Huo's statement, (to a degree), that most Chinese highrises have been built within the past 15 or so years. However, you could be decieved by that if you actually visitied the country, as many of the buildings look older than that. Unfortunately, that, more often than not, is due to shoddy construction and poor maintenance, allowing buildings to fall into rapid decay to the point that many of them are replaced practically every 10 or so years. This excepts large office buildings, which tend to be built of higher quality because they need to last longer. In other cases, however, the thin facade of a quality building is allowed to substitute for the real thing. My guess is that greater than 85% of Chinese buildings, (and I'm being conservative here, and including those higher-quality office buildings), would not be able to pass a U.S. construction inspection if the builders' lives depended on it. While quantity and appearance in China may have passed the U.S. up, quality is something I don't see the Chinese equaling for some time.

Edit: That said, Brazil's high rises probably face many of the same quality control issues that plague China. And heck, as has already been mentioned, no one from Houston should see fit to cricticize anyone else's skyskrapers!

I voted for none of them, by the way, (just cuz I'm trying to piss off as many people as possible) .

Last edited by Clashman; January 26th, 2006 at 04:43 PM.
Clashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #136
BigCity

Likes (Received): 0

no doubt it's US
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM   #137
ssfan
空中之城

Likes (Received): 17

I think the capital must be the US.
ssfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #138
XCRunner

USA. China maybe has more quantity, but remember their population is around 4.5 times ours, and we win on quality hands down. Brazil is the capital of mid-rizes.
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #139
blue79
it's always the same

Likes (Received): 6

At the moment USA,but in the neht 20 years China will become number one.
blue79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:37 AM   #140
BigCity

However you look at this, you get:
1. USA
2. USA
3. USA