daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: High-rise Capital of the World is...
China 212 41.17%
Brazil 52 10.10%
USA 239 46.41%
A three way tie 12 2.33%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 31st, 2006, 08:57 AM   #141
tkr
Рѹ́сьскаѧ землѧ

Likes (Received): 1889

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
The only thing that Brazil can boast about their skyline is density but when it comes to quality, forget it. Anyway, Brazilian high-rises like the ones in Sao Paulo are mostly brand and bombed with alot of pichecao tags. The only impressive buildings that I find in the city are the ones with Microsoft!

On the other hand, most of Shanghai's residential flats are typical of the most high-rise commieblocks that you'll see in this country though alot of luxury flats and condos are sprouting.
Dude, you're ridiculous. You not only just picked up some ugly buildings' pics from Brazil and generalized it, but you also proved to know shit about it. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of very nice buildings in Brazil, both modern and classic arquitecture. Don't talk about something you don't know.

I don't think you'd like if people here started generalizing China, would you?
tkr está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM   #142
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosho
Dude, you're ridiculous. You not only just picked up some ugly buildings' pics from Brazil and generalized it, but you also proved to know shit about it. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of very nice buildings in Brazil, both modern and classic arquitecture. Don't talk about something you don't know.

I don't think you'd like if people here started generalizing China, would you?
I wouldn't really care if they did! True that there are alot of quality buildings in Brazil but give me some scrapers that are as iconic as The Empire State or Jin Mao?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM   #143
tkr
Рѹ́сьскаѧ землѧ

Likes (Received): 1889

Quote:
I wouldn't really care if they did! True that there are alot of quality buildings in Brazil but give me some scrapers that are as iconic as The Empire State or Jin Mao?
Okay, now that's ANOTHER story. There are laws preventing high-buildings/skyscrapers in Brazil. (Do you know anything more stupid than such law?)
tkr está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:09 AM   #144
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Likes (Received): 38

I still vote for USA
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:10 AM   #145
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosho
Okay, now that's ANOTHER story. There are laws preventing high-buildings/skyscrapers in Brazil. (Do you know anything more stupid than such law?)
Well I'm not just talking about height but distinctive architecture. Like the HSBC building in HK for example. It's not as tall as The Jin Mao or The Edifico Italia in Sampa but it earned iconic status!

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM   #146
Evan
Amurika!

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXican
well...when it comes to quantity it's probably china.

the US may be the home of the highrise/skyscraper, but only a handfull of cities have many of them. in brazil or china you have dozens of cities with literally thousands of highrise buildings.
WTF? You have obviously never been here. That was the dumbest comment I have ever seen. Dude, even small American cities have high rises. Jesus christ, it amazes me some of the shitass comments people will make just to say something.
Evan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #147
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

True that even small US cities have high-rises. US cities on the other hand are not that vertical compared to most Chinese or Brazillian cities. Though alot of US cities have high-rises downtown and CBDs in it's suburban areas.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM   #148
Evan
Amurika!

Quote:
True that even small US cities have high-rises. US cities on the other hand are not that vertical compared to most Chinese or Brazillian cities. Though alot of US cities have high-rises downtown and CBDs in it's suburban areas.
Now your comment yes, I can agree with. That other dudes comment was just plain ignorant.

The United States, for the moment anyway, has stopped building "super tall", although I expect that to change within the next 20 years.

The United States stopped going for "worlds tallest" because the cost of them has become so prohibitive, and even though many of our old cities are landlocked, we still have lots of room to grow outward. I'm not happy about seeing suburban high-rise boxes spreading out across the horizon all over America, but it is happening.

The United States has stopped reaching for the sky, for now. However, I can assure you all, it is only temporary.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:27 AM   #149
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
Now your comment yes, I can agree with. That other dudes comment was just plain ignorant.

The United States, for the moment anyway, has stopped building "super tall", although I expect that to change within the next 20 years.

The United States stopped going for "worlds tallest" because the cost of them has become so prohibitive, and even though many of our old cities are landlocked, we still have lots of room to grow outward. I'm not happy about seeing suburban high-rise boxes spreading out across the horizon all over America, but it is happening.

The United States has stopped reaching for the sky, for now. However, I can assure you all, it is only temporary.
I disagree a bit. How about the Fordham Spire in Chicago? It may not be the world's tallest but it's gonna be the future tallest for the country.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM   #150
Evan
Amurika!

Oh, one last thing I need to comment on, since this is actually a hijack. Even though the US has stopped going for the super tall, for now, there are many cities that are currently in the process of building some impressive buildings. Not so much tall as amazing in design. Atlanta and Charlotte, North Carolina are two such cities. Miami is another.

Don't stop looking to the US as contender for the super tall just yet because our slow down is only temporary.

BTW, I love some of the buildings in China. Those guys are building some pretty amazing things over there.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:30 AM   #151
Evan
Amurika!

Quote:
I disagree a bit. How about the Fordham Spire in Chicago? It may not be the world's tallest but it's gonna be the future tallest for the country.
Fordham yes, the United States has slowed down its upward building, but it hasn't stopped altogether. What I meant was, there are more high rises being built in the States than their are skyscrapers. For now anyway.

It's going to be awhile before the US sees another Sears Tower, or World trade Center. The super skyscraper by definition I guess. High rises and smaller skyscrapers however, are being built all over the country as we speak.

Last edited by Evan; February 3rd, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #152
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I agree with Atlanta and Charlotte. Charlotte on the other hand doesn't have much of a skyline but they have really tall one.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM   #153
Evan
Amurika!

Quote:
I agree with Atlanta and Charlotte. Charlotte on the other hand doesn't have much of a skyline but they have really tall one.
Yeah, Charlotte doesn't have much of a skyline yet, but what they do have is nice and pleasing. I give the Charlotte guys a hard time down in the Southeast forum, but it really is a nice, up and coming city. Some very nice buildings they have, although as you say, their skyline is still rather small. The BoA(Bank of America) tower is impressive by anyones definition though.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:21 PM   #154
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

The Bank of America tower is indeed impressive but it would look better if it had other high-rises surronding it

Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #155
Evan
Amurika!

Quote:
The Bank of America tower is indeed impressive but it would look better if it had other high-rises surronding it
heh yeah. The first time I ever saw the tower I was flying into Douglas International Airport, and the first thing I noticed was this enormous tower surrounded by a very small downtown in comparison. hahaha. I was still impressed with its size though.

Charlotte is growing at a very respectable pace though, so I suspect it's downtown will continue to rise so in a few years down the road, the BoA won't look so out of place.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #156
Modernization
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

When it come to skyscrapers we all know China has the most in quantity. China is definitely the skyscrapers capital of the world. There's no countries in the world can compared to it as right now or in the future.
Modernization no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #157
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

America really loses the title of the skyscrapers capital
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #158
Modernization
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

sorry, America
Modernization no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #159
sl64

Likes (Received): 0

I don't understand this whole notion of China having more skyscrapers. Even if you count HK (which is questionable), HK and NY are basically a wash, Chicago beats Shanghai for now, and from then on the US trounces China.
sl64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #160
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Shanghai has way more skyscrapers than Chicago (by Emporis definition or 100m+). By several multitudes. You'd be incredibly ignorant to think otherwise.

In "questionable", I hope you mean HK is undercounted.

I think if the naysayers visit these cities in China, you will be very surprised.

Beijing

Last edited by Skybean; May 7th, 2006 at 05:23 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote