daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: High-rise Capital of the World is...
China 212 41.17%
Brazil 52 10.10%
USA 239 46.41%
A three way tie 12 2.33%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #161
Modernization
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl64
I don't understand this whole notion of China having more skyscrapers. Even if you count HK (which is questionable), HK and NY are basically a wash, Chicago beats Shanghai for now, and from then on the US trounces China.
China probably has more cities than the U.S. There is no doubt in the future all Chinese cities will be cloggedup with highrise. By just looking at the Beijing's pic I can't even tell the if the CBD in the foreground or background.
Modernization no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #162
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Of course China has many more. Their cities are filled with hundreds upon thousands of repetitive ugly residentials. In terms of quality they are far behind, imo. Which is why I don't think are the high-rise capital. quality>quantity imo.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #163
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

China wins by far in every category!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #164
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
Of course China has many more. Their cities are filled with hundreds upon thousands of repetitive ugly residentials. In terms of quality they are far behind, imo. Which is why I don't think are the high-rise capital. quality>quantity imo.
Wrong. China's high rise do not lack in qualities like you've mentioned. IN fact, those residential high rise in Beijing are higher in qualities than those orange-brick aparments in Manhanttan. China's skyscrapers boom is far later than the U.S so their buildings are caught up with latest technology. There is a universal concepts you have to follow when constructing highrise in case you don't know. Buildings codes are the same whereever they built in Europe, in America or Asia. IN fact, many buildings are American engineering, your opinion of qualities are false. And yes China is the high-rise captial. Period
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #165
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernization
Wrong. China's high rise do not lack in qualities like you've mentioned. IN fact, those residential high rise in Beijing are higher in qualities than those orange-brick aparments in Manhanttan. China's skyscrapers boom is far later than the U.S so their buildings are caught up with latest technology. There is a universal concepts you have to follow when constructing highrise in case you don't know. Buildings codes are the same whereever they built in Europe, in America or Asia. IN fact, many buildings are American engineering, your opinion of qualities are false. And yes China is the high-rise captial. Period
No, I'm pretty sure I'm right. Overall, American cities have higher quality buildings than China. Of course, that's subjective. What's a nice building to me may not be to someone else. So, like I said before, IMO, American skyscrapers are of higher quality. There is nothing wrong about it, period.

You seem to be confused. When I refer to quality, I'm talking aesthetics, looks. Not how sturdy and strong they're built, what codes they have to follow, etc. That's irrelevant to me.

America is on top.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #166
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
No, I'm pretty sure I'm right. Overall, American cities have higher quality buildings than China. Of course, that's subjective. What's a nice building to me may not be to someone else. So, like I said before, IMO, American skyscrapers are of higher quality. There is nothing wrong about it, period.

You seem to be confused. When I refer to quality, I'm talking aesthetics, looks. Not how sturdy and strong they're built, what codes they have to follow, etc. That's irrelevant to me.

America is on top.
American highrise are not higher qualities just because they're on American soil. you're seemed to be confused but it happens all the time to people who lack knowledge about skyscrapers, particularly you. How about on top your face. end of discussion.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #167
Jules

Quote:
American highrise are not higher qualities just because they're on American soil. you're seemed to be confused but it happens all the time to people who lack knowledge about skyscrapers, particularly you. How about on top your face. end of discussion.
What does them being on American soil have to do with anything? Where do you come up with this garbage? I like American skyscrapers a whole lot more than Chinese skyscrapers, it has nothing to do them being American. I don't need knowledge on skyscrapers to like some more than others. It's an opinion, one you have a hard time accepting. You should get used to it, not everybody worships China like you apparently do. End of discussion.

Old May 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #168
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
What does them being on American soil have to do with anything? Where do you come up with this garbage? I like American skyscrapers a whole lot more than Chinese skyscrapers, it has nothing to do them being American. I don't need knowledge on skyscrapers to like some more than others. It's an opinion, one you have a hard time accepting. You should get used to it, not everybody worships China like you apparently do. End of discussion.

Here's something to mind, if your opinions don't receive recognitions from others than don't post it anywhere especially not this thread making it any longer than it need to be. It doesn't matter to me what you like, it's what you posted is stupid
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #169
Jules

Quote:
Here's something to mind, if your opinions don't receive recognitions from others than don't post it anywhere especially not this thread making it any longer than it need to be. It doesn't matter to me what you like, it's what you posted is stupid
You're truly retarded. The ******* thread is asking what the skyscraper capital of the world is. I'm explaining why the US is. Everyone who has posted in here has given their opinion. Whether you care or not is irrelevant. I doubt many people care what you think, so I wonder what your point is?

Apparently you do care what I like, you're making such a fuss about it. I don't kiss China's ass so you oppose what I think. If my opinion meant nothing to you, you wouldn't have responded.

And once again, there was nothing stupid about it. I believe US has better buildings, and overall claims the title of the skyscraper capital of the world. 127 people agree with me, you're in the minority. Thank you and next.

Last edited by Jules; May 7th, 2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #170
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

You do realize that per capita Canada has 2x the amoount of highrises than the USA?
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #171
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye101
You do realize that per capita Canada has 2x the amoount of highrises than the USA?
Are you asking me?
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #172
oskarj
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
too stupid to comment to imo.
oskarj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #173
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
You're truly retarded. The ******* thread is asking what the skyscraper capital of the world is. I'm explaining why the US is. Everyone who has posted in here has given their opinion. Whether you care or not is irrelevant. I doubt many people care what you think, so I wonder what your point is?

Apparently you do care what I like, you're making such a fuss about it. I don't kiss China's ass so you oppose what I think. If my opinion meant nothing to you, you wouldn't have responded.

And once again, there was nothing stupid about it. I believe US has better buildings, and overall claims the title of the skyscraper capital of the world. Thank you and next.
U.S doesn't claim to the the skyscraper's highrise of the world. It's you who's making stupid judgement and besides, it's not up to you to decide if U.S deserve the title. By reading your posts I found that your way of speaking is very unpolite and you have no other choice than supporting your claim with insults. This apparently means that you seriously need some help.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #174
Jules

Quote:
U.S doesn't claim to the the skyscraper's highrise of the world. It's you who's making stupid judgement and besides, it's not up to you to decide if U.S deserve the title. By reading your posts I found that your way of speaking is very unpolite and you have no other choice than supporting your claim with insults. This apparently means that you seriously need some help.
Hahaha, oh man, this is gold. I'm getting a real kick outta you.

It is up to me to decide who deserves the title though, and everyone else who posts in this thread. That's what the thread asks, is it not? You're very confused, maybe you should just quit while you're ahead. No, scratch that, you've already fallen behind.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #175
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
Hahaha, oh man, this is gold. I'm getting a real kick outta you.

It is up to me to decide who deserves the title though, and everyone else who posts in this thread. That's what the thread asks, is it not? You're very confused, maybe you should just quit while you're ahead. No, scratch that, you've already fallen behind.
What i mean is your opinion isn't important anymore. what's more important now is keeping your hands to your pockets and away from the keyboard.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #176
Jules

Quote:
What i mean is your opinion isn't important anymore. what's more important now is keeping your hands to your pockets and away from the keyboard.
Just keep trying to dig yourself out of that hole, it's working.

Anyways, I'm done with you. Back on topic please.
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #177
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
Just keep trying to dig yourself out of that hole, it's working.

Anyways, I'm done with you. Back on topic please.
My hole isn't as deep as yours so you want me to lend you a hand out??
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #178
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

After reading...

After reading your (RP1 and Modernization) comments I would like to take the side of RP1. Modernizatiom, RP1 was just trying to give his opinion about the topic of this thread. You do realize that forums are created so that people can exchange their ideas about stuff. If you do not like the opinion of others, you should not pick on that person for his opinion. He was merely sharing his opinion. If you don't like his opinion then so be it. Don't make a fuss and pick on the person. This just ruins the purpose of this forum of allowing a constructive exchange of ideas and opinions. Be more constructive not destructive. Ok.
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #179
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor
After reading your (RP1 and Modernization) comments I would like to take the side of RP1. Modernizatiom, RP1 was just trying to give his opinion about the topic of this thread. You do realize that forums are created so that people can exchange their ideas about stuff. If you do not like the opinion of others, you should not pick on that person for his opinion. He was merely sharing his opinion. If you don't like his opinion then so be it. Don't make a fuss and pick on the person. This just ruins the purpose of this forum of allowing a constructive exchange of ideas and opinions. Be more constructive not destructive. Ok.
-I agree, so everytime when someone post something, leave it alone. Don't quote and try to sound like you're smarter.This is a matter of opinions,so if you think something different, there's no need to quote from some previous posts . That means you disrespect others' opinion and claim yours to be better. What you'll need is some data to prove your point. Your own preference about things may not agree with everyone nevertheless it may cause more tensions to the trash talking.
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #180
sl64

Likes (Received): 0

"In "questionable", I hope you mean HK is undercounted."

No, I mean that it's questionable to say "China has more skyscrapers, just look at HK" when a lot of the skyscrapers were built before HK was a part of China, and because HK is still somewhat seperate from the rest of China, both in terms of wealth and liberty.

As for my ignorance in not realizing Shanghai has more highrises than Chicago, do you have a source? By my own count, Chicago has 240 100m+ towers built or U/C, while Shanghai has 202.

But anyways, I worded my original post incorrectly. The second part, comparing NYC to HK and Chicago to Shanghai, was not just about number but also about quality (in my personal taste), which I didn't mention earlier in the post. My mistake. Let me rephrase:

Chicago has more good skyscrapers than Shanghai, in my opinion, while NY and HK are even.

How's that?

Last edited by sl64; May 7th, 2006 at 09:39 AM.
sl64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote