daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM   #181
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

3 things that Evanston has going for it that OP doesn't.....Lake Michigan, Northwestern, and the North Side.

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:17 PM   #182
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

woops, sorry UP.....which is why so many DEVELOPMENTS are occurring in mini-me Chicago...

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #183
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Which direction is Evanston going?

i was in evanston on sunday and was driving on church just east of dodge (where ETHS is located). there was a cleared piece of land (I believe it once was a lumber yard) with a sign for a condo project. I went past fast, but I caught a glimpse and I believe prices started in the $300-400k range.

i was wondering if anybody knows about this project and its implications. there has been a tremendous amount of pressure on Evanston real estate, particularly downtown and near the lake. now it appears the condo boom is heading west.

I do know that west Evanston has been concerned about future development and its implications. This portion of the city has long been an African American community. It is also an area with a signifcant lower income population. I do know that the community and the city have set some policies on how development was to proceed and to make a strong effort to keep the racial and economic diversity of Evanston going as one of its greatest strengths.

One has to wonder how successful they will be. Obviously Evanston has more control over its future than Chicago neighborhoods that have lost their battle with gentrification had.

Does anyone have any idea where this is all going? And with what is happening in Evanston, what effect will this have on other inner ring suburbs (i.e. Oak Park, Skokie) where real estate values are on the rise due to their proximity to Chicago??
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #184
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

East.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #185
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

edsg, this one belongs in the Evanston Development News thread, where I've moved it.
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #186
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

speaking of near the highschool,
I have been wandering around evanston alot since i work there part of the week,

what about that development on mcdaniel, north of golf/emerson ofcourse.
i think its in three crown park,
that is a surprisingly large condo project in the middle of residential homes,

it has an old part attached to it,

I especially do like the area where dodge starts by simpson and noyes,
that is a great area that needs work and tons of potential.

Evanston may want to keep racial diversity,
but it wont have socioeconomic diversity,
the houses in the African American community are turning over slowly
and getting fixed up.
however there should be a place for those of lower incomes.
Market Forces are gobbling up the blight though

What I want to know edsg is what happens when all acceptable land is developed
fully in Evanston? Will the pressure eventually cause condos to go up into solid single family house subdivisions?
I have seen this happen in california to some extent
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #187
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
edsg, this one belongs in the Evanston Development News thread, where I've moved it.
i was going to post it there. but the development in question was less an issue than the dynamics behind Evanston's redevelopment. I was far less interested in the nature of this project than how a city with both economic and racial diversity maintains its balance.

when i realized that that was my true question, i cut and pasted from the develpment thread into this one because i felt it to be a far more relevant place for such a discussion.
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #188
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
speaking of near the highschool,
I have been wandering around evanston alot since i work there part of the week,

what about that development on mcdaniel, north of golf/emerson ofcourse.
i think its in three crown park,
that is a surprisingly large condo project in the middle of residential homes,

it has an old part attached to it,

I especially do like the area where dodge starts by simpson and noyes,
that is a great area that needs work and tons of potential.

Evanston may want to keep racial diversity,
but it wont have socioeconomic diversity,
the houses in the African American community are turning over slowly
and getting fixed up.
however there should be a place for those of lower incomes.
Market Forces are gobbling up the blight though

What I want to know edsg is what happens when all acceptable land is developed
fully in Evanston? Will the pressure eventually cause condos to go up into solid single family house subdivisions?
I have seen this happen in california to some extent
mohammed the real issue very well may end up being the exhorbantly high Evanston real estate taxes.What risk does that pose for property that also is going up in value????
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #189
edsg25
BANNED

mohammed, while evanston is unquestionably prime condo country (like skokie as well), the heaviest concetrations will still be towards the east. TOD's feed off the convergence of Metra and CTA in downtown and continuing south on the Chicago Ave corridor.

at the same time, vast areas of Evanston will be totally condo resistant. The lakefront is one university and a string of parks short from looking like a traditonal North Shore suburb with large homes dominating the landscape. North Evanston also is typically North Shore, with the exception of condo concentration on Central.

if barriers to new development are truly broken, my sense is that condos will still be concentrated in a few locations. I suspect the most logical corridor for such development would be on Dodge which may be most heavy duty north/south street when it comes to traffic and commercial interest outside of Chicago Ave.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #190
mohammed wong

yeah i saw some new condo developments going up on prairie just north of central right by greenbay, surprising and nice to see,

as the pressure/heat is on with land value, either mcmansions will go up or condos,
the condos from central ave to greenbay to emerson to ridge to downtown may collide transforming that whole area, there may be some resistance from some single family homes,

but the build up of density will begin from the busy streets and out.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #191
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
yeah i saw some new condo developments going up on prairie just north of central right by greenbay, surprising and nice to see,

as the pressure/heat is on with land value, either mcmansions will go up or condos,
the condos from central ave to greenbay to emerson to ridge to downtown may collide transforming that whole area, there may be some resistance from some single family homes,

but the build up of density will begin from the busy streets and out.
on Central, that's called business-as-usual. Central is prime condo country. The street I'd watch in the future would be Dodge. Development there will tell an awful lot about what the future will be on the west side of Evanston.
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #192
edsg25
BANNED

i was looking for an excellent article on the changing nature of evanston in yesterday's trib but could not find it at trib.com, but i did find this one which wasn't bad:

Commentary
Evanston's lofty skyline dilemma

By John McCarron who teaches | writes and consults on urban affairs
July 2, 2007

Article Tools

* Print
* Single page view
* Reprints
* text size:increase text sizedecrease text size

Click here to find out more!

My neighbors in Evanston -- the navel of metropolitan Chicago -- are agonizing these days about downtown skyscrapers.

Not in the Loop or along Wacker Drive, but skyscrapers right here in the ever-so-thoughtful home of nuclear-free zones, four-hour public hearings and holistic therapy.

Normally I advise those who live in one of our region's other 265 municipalities not to mind what's going on in Evanston. How much does a body need to know about organic landscaping, say, or Afrocentric middle school curricula?

But this time everyone should pay attention -- especially everyone who lives in a mature, not to say old, inner-ring community being sapped quietly of population and economic energy by the sprawl machine that growls 24/7 out along the suburban frontier.

Evanston, you see, has stumbled onto a formula for reinvigorating itself. So have Oak Park, Arlington Heights, St. Charles, Elmhurst and a handful of others. They are redeveloping old downtowns, often around a Metra station. They are saving bits and pieces of the familiar -- an old movie palace here, a beloved family restaurant or ice cream shop there -- while recruiting developers to build in their midst -- gasp! -- multiunit townhouses and condo towers.

The idea is to bring back the old retail centers as residential villages. They're pulling in young people, professionals, gays and empty-nesters; people fed up with outer suburbia's left-turn lanes and soulless strip malls; people seeking a taste of urban chic, or just a sense of place, without having to move to the city proper. There are more such people, it turns out, than anyone had imagined.

All of which threatens some mossback suburbanites. They like things the way they were -- quiet -- before the espresso bar or the fine arts center or the multiscreen cinema. They especially don't like condo towers. Such congestion, they argue, is why they chose not to live in the city.

This tension over what suburbs are supposed to be is spreading across the region. And Evanston, a college town blessed with sandy beaches, too many PhDs and an eminently recyclable downtown, is the bellwether.

Battle after battle is being fought over the height of condo towers, the number of required parking spaces and the displacement of locally owned stores by formulaic chains. But the biggest fight is just getting started.

Earlier this year, shortly after developers James Klutznick and Tim Anderson sold out and leased-up their 25-story Sherman Plaza condo-over-retail megastructure, the two announced plans to redevelop the north half of what's called the Fountain Square block across the street. This one would soar 49 stories, or 523 feet, above Church Street between Sherman and Orrington Avenues. Whereupon a second development team, led by R.D. Horner Associates and HSA Commercial, announced a condo-over-retail extravaganza for the southern half of the same block, theirs rising 37 stories, or 421 feet.

Suddenly Evanston has a three-front skirmish among two developers, who, as a practical matter, can't both build what would be suburbia's tallest building on the same narrow block, and a good portion of the town's citizenry, who want no new skyscrapers whatsoever.

What to do? Well, Evanston is blessed with legions of know-it-alls like myself who know exactly what to do. But don't look for this reporter at any of those four-hour public hearings. Covered too many of them as a cub. So instead, here's what I think Evanston should do, short and quick:

*Force the two development teams to merge or force one to buy out the other. The entire block should be redeveloped under a single concept.

*Trade height for what Evanstonians desire at street level. Let the developer go 50 stories, 60 even, on their residential tower ... if it's a sleek design and if they're willing to preserve the charm and low cornice line of the existing limestone storefronts.

*Negotiate, also, for underground parking; for retention of local stores and professional services willing to pay rents that reflect new space; for preservation, at minimum, of the front of the landmark Hahn Building located at mid-block; and for construction, at the developer's expense, of a first-class veterans' memorial and fountain to replace tired Fountain Square. Fact is, cities can negotiate for just about anything in return for the zoning approvals and public infrastructure required by developments of this magnitude. But first those cities need to know what they want, not just what the NIMBYs don't want. And they need confidence -- confidence in the strength of their market; confidence in their ability to bring in another developer if the first one can't or won't deliver.

After decades of losing stores, jobs and population, Evanston and other older "railroad" suburbs find themselves beseeched by opportunity -- and yes, by opportunists. They need to get their acts together, to calm the fears of the uninformed, but most important, to press their advantage.

Take it from someone who witnessed the bad old days -- the days when Sears, Marshall Fields, Lyttons, Baskins, Rothschilds and Smythe Furniture all lined up to leave town. We have problems now, sure. But compared to then, these new problems are good ones to have.
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #193
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Archview Place
1415 Howard St.
6 floors
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM   #194
mozartt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

The new residential development is concentrated in the downtown area for a reason. Like other towns near Chicago, Evanston has embraced a planning concept
mozartt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #195
edsg25
BANNED

Demolition begins for condo project

August 23, 2007
By KAREN BERKOWITZ Staff Writer, Evanston Review

Demolition is under way at the former Evanston Theater complex at 1700 to 1722 Central St., that soon will be replaced with a four-story condominium building known as The Eastwood.

The project will contain 47 one-, two- and three-bedroom units and more than 11,250 square feet of retail space on the ground floor.

"We are anticipating a construction start in the late fall of this year, which will allow for delivery of units to customers in the spring of 2009," said Robert Horne, president of Dodge Capital, who is co-developing The Eastwood with a partner, Jack Crocker.

Asked about the credit clamp-down that has sent shivers through the residential real estate market, Horne said, "The truth is, people won't be closing on their units until the spring of 2009. In all likelihood, that is going to resolve itself by the time we are closing on the units, given that there is so much lead time involved in our project.

"We are confident that the issue will be behind us by the time people are actually closing on the units."

Horne said The Eastwood will stand out for the richness of the brick detail and design.

"We are putting a lot more emphasis into the quality of the design of this building. There are all kinds of ways to lay bricks and we are using several more expensive masonry designs to give richness to the exterior.

"For people who really care about quality, this building will stand out."

The Eastwood's sales office will open in September at 1733 Central St., across from the development.
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #196
mohammed wong

Evanston is a nigh ideal place to live that is still relatively affordable,
so i agree with the author that
these units will sell,
i dont think the condo market in evanston is too saturated
especially taking into account when they will be available
and where these condos are located,
that is a very nice part of evanston,

right next to good ol mustards last stand
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #197
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Evanston is a nigh ideal place to live that is still relatively affordable,
so i agree with the author that
these units will sell
i dont think the condo market in evanston is too saturated
especially taking into account when they will be available
and where these condos are located,
that is a very nice part of evanston,

right next to good ol mustards last stand
i would have thought that, too, but checking the website and seeing the building has units with 1-3 bedrooms and starts in the $300,000 (obviously for a one) and goes up to over $1,000,000 (obviously for a three) and seriously wonder if they can get anything close to those prices on Central Street. IMHO, as nice a building as it may be, this one is way overpriced.
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #198
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i would have thought that, too, but checking the website and seeing the building has units with 1-3 bedrooms and starts in the $300,000 (obviously for a one) and goes up to over $1,000,000 (obviously for a three) and seriously wonder if they can get anything close to those prices on Central Street. IMHO, as nice a building as it may be, this one is way overpriced.
yeah a mil is kindof high i guess,
dont think that area rates a mil for a condo,
but i guess well find out
personally for a mil
you might as well buy a house in evanston and hire people to do
the lawn and outdoors things,

i always shake my head in disbelief when people tell me
that they get a condo because they dont want to mow the lawn,
or such, very petty and not too expensive to be hired done,

but personally i cant wait until something is done there
cuz its so dead right now that part of central needs life
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #199
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
yeah a mil is kindof high i guess,
dont think that area rates a mil for a condo,
but i guess well find out
personally for a mil
you might as well buy a house in evanston and hire people to do
the lawn and outdoors things,

i always shake my head in disbelief when people tell me
that they get a condo because they dont want to mow the lawn,
or such, very petty and not too expensive to be hired done,

but personally i cant wait until something is done there
cuz its so dead right now that part of central needs life
no question it looks like an ideal addtion to Central Street...with ground level retail included as part of the package. Seems like a great place to live for the ultimate Wildcat fan.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #200
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Archview Place
1415 Howard St.
6 floors
Very interesting design of that building.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote