daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #201
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

the 15 story Winthrop Club condo building on the southwest edge of downtown evanston is now officially under construction. Revcon was out there this morning and the caisson rig was spinning away.

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #202
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

evanston news:

the controversial 1890 maple project (a 14 story rental building with ground floor retail on the northwest edge of downtown) was surprisingly approved by the city council last night after the developer made promises to pursue a trader joe's or other grocery retailer for the building.

read more at evanstonnow.com: http://www.evanstonnow.com/food-seal...890-maple-deal
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #203
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I found this interesting

Unfortunately, you have to have an account to read the whole article.

By Steven R. Strahler
Proximity pays in Evanston
Office vacancies shrink; rents rival downtown's
Evanston is emerging as something of a Greenwich of the Midwest, as hedge funds, private-equity firms and other financial players pick the city as a headquarters site.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...ticle_id=28606
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #204
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

evanstonnow.com has published two interesting articles regarding parking requirements and potential future development in downtown evanston. they're worth the brief read.

Study: City demands too much parking
Submitted by Bill Smith on Thu, 10/18/2007 - 12:13pm.

After running what amounts to bed-checks for cars, parking consultants have concluded Evanston now requires too many parking spaces in major downtown residential developments.

full article: http://www.evanstonnow.com/study-cit...o-much-parking

Downtown growth could near $1B
Submitted by Bill Smith on Thu, 10/18/2007 - 2:50pm.

A real estate market analysis prepared for the new downtown plan concludes Evanston could see $640 million to $856 million worth of new downtown development projects over the next decade.

full article: http://www.evanstonnow.com/downtown-...-could-near-1b
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #205
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

here's an article from evanstonnow.com about the proposed downtown zoning plan and it's possible development implications. the article has a pretty cool image showing potential redevelopment sites downtown and what their maximum massing could look like under the new proposed zoning rules.

Squeeze play for development
Submitted by Bill Smith on Tue, 10/30/2007 - 7:40pm.

Downtown Evanston has barely enough potential development sites to accommodate projected market demand over the next decade, assuming new zoning limits in the draft downtown plan are adopted.

read the full article: http://www.evanstonnow.com/squeeze-play-for-development
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #206
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Evanston downtown plan revealed

Development would be broken into zones
By Deborah Horan | Tribune staff reporter
10:43 PM CST, November 6, 2007

Evanston residents critiqued for the first time Tuesday a draft of a new downtown development plan that offers broad guidelines for buildings and green spaces in the city center.

About 150 residents packed into the Civic Center to hear details of the plan from consultants Duncan Associates and the Lakota Group, who described the blueprint to members of the city's Plan Commission.

The commission will review the plan and make a recommendation to the City Council after a second public forum set for Nov. 27, commission members said.

Continued.. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...i_tab01_layout
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #207
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.evanstonnow.com/roszak-reshapes-sienna-plans

Roszak reshapes Sienna plans
Bill Smith on Wed, 11/07/2007 - 8:56pm

Developer Tom Roszak told Evanston officials today he wants to build a hotel and rental apartments instead of two more condo buildings at his Sienna planned development site downtown.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #208
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

i regret to report that demolition on The Main Building at main/chicago has finally commenced. this lovely early 20th century 2-story terra-cotta clad commercial building has been a neighborhood anchor for decades, but it is now being ripped apart to make way for what will probably prove to be yet another ugly bland condo building at the main/chicago intersection. i'm all for TOD and urban density, but this is one case where preservation would have been a far superior option.

the price of progress often sucks.
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #209
bfresh

Likes (Received): 0

i agree with you dan..that building on the corner of main and chicago should have never been torn down for yet another ugly ass cheap tacky condo..they just don't build them like they used to
bfresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM   #210
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i regret to report that demolition on The Main Building at main/chicago has finally commenced. this lovely early 20th century 2-story terra-cotta clad commercial building has been a neighborhood anchor for decades, but it is now being ripped apart to make way for what will probably prove to be yet another ugly bland condo building at the main/chicago intersection. i'm all for TOD and urban density, but this is one case where preservation would have been a far superior option.

the price of progress often sucks.
Dan, I was under the impression that the condo project was supposed to be centered on the southeast portion of the block facing Hinman and that the part wrapping around to the Chgo-Main retail strip was supposed to be smaller and leave street level retail alone.

Was i wrong?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #211
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Was i wrong?
yes, you are/were wrong. this mixed-use development is going on the northwest corner of block bound by chicago, main, hinman, & kedzie. no part of this development will be fronting either hinman or kedzie.

the 9 story condo tower will be setback a little bit from main street atop a street-front retail podium, but the Main Building is still being entirely demolished, which is the part that sucks about this project.

Last edited by Steely Dan; December 3rd, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Steely Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #212
msu2001la

Any updates on the 708 Church St. building?
I was liking the 49 story concept, but the shortened 38 story versionlooks a little too squatty and fat.

I'm hoping that Booth Hansen has another concept in the works.
msu2001la no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #213
spyguy
Expert

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....rinking-t.html

The shrinking tower of Evanston: Shorter is not better
Blair Kamin

The first version (top) of a proposed 49-story condo tower in Evanston was a bland slab--nicely proportioned, but dull against the sky. Now (bottom), chopped down to 38 stories, the skyscraper looks like it grew hips. Big, ungainly hips. The tower apparently has the same amount of profit-making square footage as before. It's just been squashed down in a transparent attempt to appease opponents who find its height objectionable. This is an exercise in political expedience, not good design.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #214
spyguy
Expert

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscent...cbuilding.html

New Music Building and Arts Green Committees Formed

Committees have been appointed to advise on the development of the new School of Music building on the Evanston campus and to advise on the development of the new arts green that will replace the existing Arts Circle, it was announced by Provost Daniel Linzer.

...The five architectural firms under consideration include Hammel, Green and Abrahamson, Inc. in Milwaukee, Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects in Toronto, and three firms with offices in Chicago: Goettsch Partners, Inc., Kreuk and Sexton Architects, and Murphy/Jahn Inc. Architects. Ronald Nayler, associate vice president for facilities management, stated that the Educational Properties Committee of the Board of Trustees, with advice from the Building Committee, will select three firms to participate in a design competition during the summer. A selection of the final design firm will be made this fall.

The target date for the completion of the five-story lakefront music building and the first stage of the arts green has been set for 2012.

The new building will be located south of Pick-Staiger Concert Hall and Regenstein Hall of Music and will connect to Regenstein. It will contain approximately 116,000 gross square feet of space for classrooms, teaching labs, academic faculty offices, teaching studios for choral, opera, piano and voice faculty, practice rooms, student lounges and administrative offices. There also will be a choral rehearsal room and library, an opera rehearsal room/black box theater and a 400-seat recital hall. The cost of the music building and arts green projects will be $90 million.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #215
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28833

Kellogg planning major new building in Evanston
By: Steven R. Strahler April 03, 2008

Apparently suffering from an edifice complex, Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management is looking to make a bold, new statement on its Evanston campus.

The MBA factory, whose rise to pre-eminence has been an information-age success story for Chicago, is laying the groundwork for a building likely to cost more than $100 million
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #216
msu2001la

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28833

Kellogg planning major new building in Evanston
By: Steven R. Strahler April 03, 2008

Apparently suffering from an edifice complex, Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management is looking to make a bold, new statement on its Evanston campus.

The MBA factory, whose rise to pre-eminence has been an information-age success story for Chicago, is laying the groundwork for a building likely to cost more than $100 million

What kind of approvals does NU have to have from Evanston to build?
Is there a height limit on campus? It'll be interesting if they want to build anything taller than 6-7 floors.
msu2001la no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #217
spyguy
Expert

Pete Fuller/ flickr
Howard Street station and apartment building

Pete Fuller/ flickr
Various Evanston construction, plus the Optima building in Skokie in the background
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #218
edsg25
BANNED

great shots of rogers park and evanston. the evanston one has a nice view of Evanston High sprawled across the middle.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:16 AM   #219
spyguy
Expert

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscent...architect.html

Goettsch Partners Will Design New Music Building
October 21, 2008 | Campus

Northwestern University has selected Goettsch Partners, Inc. as the architectural firm to design the new building for the Henry and Leigh Bienen School of Music on the University’s Evanston campus. The project will emphasize a sustainable design approach throughout, with a minimum of achieving LEED Silver certification. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2010, with completion expected in spring 2012.

The announcement follows a four-month search for an architectural firm for the project.

Northwestern will construct the state-of-the-art School of Music building facing an arts green that will replace the existing Arts Circle on its Evanston campus. Envisioned as a signature building for the University, the new facility will enable the Bienen School of Music to consolidate all of its programs in one area for the first time in more than 30 years.

Goettsch Partners is a Chicago-based design firm that provides innovative architectural, interior, planning and building enclosure design services to clients worldwide. Led by seven partners, the 90-member firm has completed projects throughout Asia, Europe, and North and South America. The firm also maintains an office in Shanghai, China.

Goettsch Partners has a strong Chicago connection with one-of-a-kind institutional projects that have included the Museum of Science and Industry’s U-505 Submarine Exhibit and the Lincoln Park Zoo’s Regenstein Center for African Apes, as well as 111 South Wacker, UBS Tower, and the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois Headquarters. Among numerous international projects, the design firm’s work includes the new Abu Dhabi stock exchange building and financial center in the United Arab Emirates and the Diamond Exchange Tower in Shanghai. (For more information on the firm, visit http://www.gpchicago.com.)

The new music building will be located just south of the School’s Pick-Staiger Concert Hall and Regenstein Hall of Music on the southern end of Northwestern’s lakefront campus. The structure is projected to have spectacular views of Lake Michigan and the Chicago skyline.

The new building will include classrooms, teaching labs, academic faculty offices, teaching studios for choral, opera, piano and voice faculty, practice rooms, student lounges and administrative offices. There also will be a choral rehearsal room and library, an opera rehearsal room/black box theater and a 400-seat recital hall.

Toni-Marie Montgomery, dean of the Bienen School of Music, said, “The new building will bring a sense of community that facilitates collaboration among our many excellent programs. We look forward to working with Goettsch Partners in planning a building that is both architecturally stunning as well as programmatically well-designed.”

“We chose architects we believed could develop an iconic design for the facility while respecting the campus context,” said Gordon Segal, chair of the Board of Trustees Educational Properties Committee.

“Goettsch Partners submitted a design concept that takes full advantage of the site’s lakeside setting and the views to the city of Chicago,” said Ronald Nayler, Northwestern’s associate vice president for facilities management. “We believe that refinement of that concept will result in an extraordinary building that will meet the needs of the Bienen School of Music faculty, staff and students.”

“This project presents an exceptional opportunity for our firm,” said James Goettsch, FAIA, president of Goettsch Partners. “Northwestern has set high expectations in terms of the architectural design of the new building and arts green, especially in light of the site’s dramatic lakefront setting.”

The School of Music has been named the Henry and Leigh Bienen School of Music in honor of the retiring University president and his wife. President Bienen, who announced in March that he plans to retire next year, and his wife, Leigh, are avid music-lovers and strong supporters of the arts, including the School of Music.
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #220
edsg25
BANNED

i'm surprised they didn't say what they are going to do with the existing music bldg which occupies a pretty decent tract of land on Clark on the portion of the campus that abuts DT Evanston.