daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #241
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Andy Tucker/ flickr

Winthrop Club and The Mather. Other developments like 1800 Ridge and parts of Sienna are also visible in this pic.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM   #242
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

^ i love the pic, thanks for posting it.

that view sure would look a whole lot better with a nice 400' centerpiece tower right in the middle of it
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #243
elguero

Likes (Received): 0

Agreed, great picture. perhaps even more than a 400' tower downtown i'd like to see something solid go in at the SE corner of Chicago and Main... a giant empty lot is not very fitting for one of Evanston's other fine urban strips
elguero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #244
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by elguero View Post
i'd like to see something solid go in at the SE corner of Chicago and Main... a giant empty lot is not very fitting for one of Evanston's other fine urban strips
I can't believe they allowed the existing building to be destroyed for that horrible 10 story building. That was by far one of the ugliest proposals I've seen IMO. So while I'm sad they proceeded with demolition, at least we won't have to put up with that eyesore. Hopefully whatever eventually goes up will be fairly tall but with a much better design.
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #245
spyguy
Expert

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/..._building.aspx

Northwestern selects site for new Kellogg building
11/11/2009

Northwestern University plans to construct a building on the lakefront of its Evanston campus as a new home for the University's renowned Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern President Morton Schapiro and Sunil Chopra, interim dean of Kellogg, announced today (Nov. 11, 2009). The new facility will be located on the northeast corner of Northwestern's lakefront campus, immediately adjacent to Lake Michigan on two sides.

Timing for the design and construction of the new building will depend on fundraising efforts, which are now underway.

The new building will include classrooms, faculty offices, collaborative learning spaces and administrative offices. Because of its location, it will feature spectacular views of the lake, the Chicago skyline to the south and the North Shore to the north.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #246
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Historic Minded Evanston to destroy 20s Georgian Bldg

The Mather is that fancy new nursing home building in downtown,
that i guess is getting updated from the old georgian building it was in.
Then the old building is set to get knock down and then another
south building will get built according to this article.
Hard to believe that evanston has more landmarks than manhattan,
that is a headscratcher

Nice fancy place for the oldies, thats good.
Good for jobs too.

http://www.mcknights.com/bridging-pa...rticle/158785/

Evanston, a suburb that borders Lake Michigan, is located just north of Chicago. It is a strong proponent of historic preservation, a factor that weighted heavily in getting approval for the Mather, Leary explains: “Evanston has more historic landmarks than the entire city of Manhattan, so that was quite a challenge to overcome.” (hunh?)
After facing nine regulatory bodies over 27 months, Mather officials finally received the green light from the city.

The Mather is divided into two buildings. The north building, which is now open, has 37 skilled nursing beds, 10 assisted living units, 12 memory-care units and 141 independent living apartments. The south building, currently known as The Georgian, is a 1920s hotel-turned-senior living facility.

Some time in the next few months, The Georgian's residents will move to The Mather and The Georgian will come down to make room for a new south building. Designers took actual pieces from The Georgian to use in the north building of The Mather. Pillars, pediments and terra cotta add accents to the north building.

“One of the unique features of the project is the two buildings will be connected by an underground pedestrian corridor,

Last edited by mohammed wong; December 2nd, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #247
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,962634.story

Evanston marina plan stirs little excitement
Architect's harbor plan could ease debt, but Evanston sees drawbacks

By Brian Cox

Special to the Tribune

January 8, 2010

When architect Michael Vasilko learned Evanston was looking for ways to close a gaping budget hole, he drafted plans to use the lakefront for a marina, hotel and arts complex and presented it to city officials.

"I'd like them to consider something that could be revenue-producing," said Vasilko, who says tough financial times require innovative thinking.

So far, the response from aldermen and some residents has been tepid if not downright cold, but the discussion has prompted a re-examination of the city's long-term plans for its lakefront and its budget woes -- currently a $9.5 million deficit.

"There's no question in my mind that Evanston wants to keep the lakefront green," said resident Matt Mirapaul, who lives about a block from Church Street beach, where Vasilko proposed building the 1 million-square-foot marina complex. "These ideas are going nowhere. They will be slapped down by residents and common sense.".............
More in link
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM   #248
spyguy
Expert

The Mather Phase II

http://www.thematherevanston.com/

February 2010

The demolition of 422 Davis Street for The Mather, Phase II is on schedule. Controlled demolition and dismantlement of the Georgian structure will continue throughout the month of February.

We are working with the City of Evanston to coordinate site logistics. Demolition is anticipated to be completed in the first quarter of 2010, followed by foundation construction. We currently anticipate completion of The Mather by the early fourth quarter of 2011.
---

Photos of demolition @ Evanston Now

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM   #249
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5909828.story

Evanston seeks grant money to explore rehabilitation of Varsity Theater
By Brian Cox

Plans to breathe new life into a hidden architectural gem in downtown Evanston picked up speed recently as City Council members agreed to explore the possibility of reopening one of the Chicago area's grandest movie palaces as a performing arts center.

The Evanston City Council has voted unanimously to seek a $50,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Arts as seed money for a possible rehabilitation of the 84-year-old Varsity Theater.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:39 AM   #250
mohammed wong

I didnt even know that was a theater.
I forget, what is there now?

Its a shame that there really is not great old theater in evanston right now
I remember the Coronet on Chicago ave and can believe that gem was demolished. The Evanston theater was okay
as an arthouse theater.
But its odd that there isnt any arthouse movie places in Evanston.
The one in Wilmette looks cool, havent been in yet,
but when its friday or saturday night I dont think much about going out in Wilmette, maybe when im 40 plus.
I think Evanston went through a very dark time, and its getting better,
they say they are so prolandmark but really I dont see it, so many buildings they had are gone
and they want to knock down that nice two story building in downtown for a highrise
which is okay in some sense, but that is a really nice two story building,
not to mention the nice two story building that got knocked down at main street.

Anyways that would be awesome if it would be restored.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #251
spyguy
Expert

Another cool view of Evanston

D. Robert Wolcheck/ flickr
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #252
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

via sun-times

Quote:
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston...510-s1.article

Architect floats Evanston marina plan
Comments

August 4, 2010

By BOB SEIDENBERG [email protected]

A performing arts center, meeting and convention hall, a new Coast Guard station, theatrical venues galore -- toss in a Barack Obama Presidential Library when the president retires.

Evanston architect Michael Vasilko all but obliterated any citizens' quota for out-of-the-box ideas when he sketched plans for an Evanston Fine Arts and Performing Arts District to members of the city's Economic Development Committee.

Some members of the panel were amazed at the audacity of scope.

Others -- whose constituents live along the lakefront -- were, well, mortified.

Alderman Melissa A. Wynne, 3rd Ward, who heads up the committee, called discussion of the plan a "non-starter," citing the pollution a marina would bring. Wynne's ward includes a portion of the lakefront.

Nonetheless, a number of committee members voted to return to the issue later, at least to see how the city could go about exploring its feasibility.

"I know you've persevered with this idea for a period of time," said 2nd Ward Alderman Lionel Jean-Baptiste, noting the city's growing pension obligations and dipping revenue. "I think we've got begin to think out of the box."

Vasilko, a 20-year resident, architect and admittedly "disturbed taxpayer," first proposed the arts district idea during budget discussions last year.

He said the idea, to which he has devoted 10 months of study, holds the best chance of providing the city a long-term stream of revenue and enhancing the residential, restaurant, hotel and business district now in place..............

The nearly one-million-square-foot development would be located in a land mass at the east end of Church Street under the preliminary proposal.

A marina would be built off the existing boat launch, and just north of the main land mass.

He said the development is intended to interact with existing downtown businesses.

"The idea is these new facilities would support downtown businesses, and downtown businesses would support these new facilities," Vasilko said.

Of the uses proposed, Vasilko said a convention center would be clearly a successful venue economically, along with a properly designed performing arts facility, using the Boston Symphony Orchestra hall as a model...........

Vasilko has asked the city to provide a liaison from staff to help him in conversations with other governmental agencies, such as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, obtaining facts and engineering help or support.

The committee agreed to discuss the proposal next month. Several members professed admiration at the plan..........
More in link
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #253
elguero

Likes (Received): 0

Constructing two giant spits of land (not to mention the buildings themselves) doesn't exactly seem like a budget-problem solver
elguero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #254
mohammed wong

wow that marina idea is really dumb.
looks like some ugly dubai project.

all the other projects make sense.
but that is just idiotic.

That is a very ugly rendering.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #255
spyguy
Expert

http://www.bisnow.com/chicago_commer...ry.php?p=10242

AMLI also sold a $59M complex in West Dundee last week and has a development site ready for a new TOD near the Metra and L stations on Main Street in Evanston.

I assume this is the Chicago and Main site. Hopefully they've redesigned it, although considering it's AMLI it can't be that good of a design.
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #256
spyguy
Expert

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/...ding-Site.aspx

New site selected for Kellogg building

A new site for a building for Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management has been selected, University and Kellogg officials announced Nov. 12, 2010. This site, located adjacent to Kellogg’s Allen Center, will centralize management research and education activities, creating a unified, state-of-the-art presence on Northwestern’s Evanston campus.

...“Following a thorough review of plans for the building, we’re excited to finalize this site, which offers breathtaking lakefront views, and will be a destination for business and civic leaders from around the world,” said Kellogg Dean Sally Blount. “This site will unify our anchor campus in Evanston, and serve as a foundation for our global network in the 21st century. The design process is underway, and we’re accelerating our fundraising efforts.”
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #257
mohammed wong

Honors classes at Evanston Highschool Detracked?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...man-humanities

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I think this will upset alot of the Burbians who
live in Evanston for the school system.
This is huge, because much of the basis
for the desireability of an area is its school
system. The school system typically is
the last system that improves in an area.
Only now is Lakeviews School system
becoming decent. Will this set the Evanston
school system backwards for years to come?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...t-gap-students

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/the-...rs-course.html
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #258
mohammed wong

Brothers K and Other Brother CoffeeHouses!

For some reason I hadnt driven around
that old Italian Coffee Bar or whatever it w
was called and some girl had told
me that the Brothers K had another coffeeshop
in downtown Evanston.

Finally saw it today
The Other Brothers Coffeehouse
Very cool. I will have to stop in.

It has a very cool awning too.
http://otherbrothercoffee.com/

and if anyone hasnt stopped
by Brothers K
http://www.brotherskcoffee.com/
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #259
mohammed wong

Possibly Foster and South Stations could close during Purple Line Rehab

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston...711-s1.article
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #260
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
Good. Close the tightly spaced under performing stations and add widely spaced access points for the remaining stations. Less chances for delays, less station maintenance and less CTA station employees.

People need to realize that changes like these will improve the system for EVERYONE.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote