daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #261
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Evanston Census Results...

Evanston's census count barely budges
Comments

February 17, 2011

By KAREN BERKOWITZ [email protected]
The latest nose count by the U.S. Census Bureau shows that Evanston's population inched up by only 247 people during the past decade, but that the complexion of the population has changed.

The demographic snapshot taken during the 2010 census pegged the Evanston population at 74,486 residents, up only .3 percent from 2000, despite a downtown condominium boom during the early part of the decade.

The official head count fell short of the census bureau's 2009 estimate of nearly 77,800 people as part of the rolling American Community Survey.

Evanston's Hispanic population swelled by 48 percent during the decade, to 6,739 persons, while the Asian population grew by 41 percent, to 6,355 residents.

Meanwhile, the number of black of a single race dropped by 20 percent, to 13,139 residents.

During the same time period, the number of non-Hispanic white residents of a single race dipped by 2 percent, to 45,551 residents.

Non-Hispanic whites now make up 61 percent of the population, down from 69 percent two decades ago.

Non-Hispanic blacks account for 18 percent, Hispanics 9 percent and non-Hispanic Asians 9 percent. Persons of two-or more races and a smattering of other races make up the remaining 4 percent.

One reason the population counts fell short of earlier estimates might be found in another statistic: The large number of vacant housing units.

According to the latest census, more than 9 percent of the city's housing units were vacant when the counts were taken. On the latest census, 3,134 of the city's 33,181 housing units are shown as vacant rather than occupied. The number of vacancies was nearly double the 1,166 recorded in 2000.

The demographic data released for Illinois this week is known as redistricting data and will be used by Illinois lawmakers to remap the lines of legislative districts so the districts are comparable in population size.

The data also will be used by Evanston city officials to redraw the city's nine wards.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston...411-s1.article
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:21 AM   #262
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I'm sure these NIMBYs would love that Fountain Square tower now

http://www.suntimes.com/business/509...estaurant.html

Evanston residents object to proposed Tilted Kilt restaurant
By Bob seidenberg

Some Evanston residents are mounting a campaign asking the city deny a liquor license to a proposed Tilted Kilt restaurant – a Hooters clone, they say, whose scantily-clad waitresses send the wrong message.

Residents have gathered close to 2,200 signatures calling on Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl to deny building owner Ted Mavrakis’ application for a liquor license for a Tilted Kilt on the ground floor of his Fountain Square building, in downtown Evanston.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:42 AM   #263
msu2001la

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/509...estaurant.html

Evanston residents object to proposed Tilted Kilt restaurant
By Bob seidenberg

Some Evanston residents are mounting a campaign asking the city deny a liquor license to a proposed Tilted Kilt restaurant – a Hooters clone, they say, whose scantily-clad waitresses send the wrong message.

Residents have gathered close to 2,200 signatures calling on Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl to deny building owner Ted Mavrakis’ application for a liquor license for a Tilted Kilt on the ground floor of his Fountain Square building, in downtown Evanston.

"Many of the biggest concerns focused on the effect such a bar would have on children."

Don't get me wrong, I think Evanston should strive for something better than Tilted Kilt in the middle of their downtown, but the "won't someone think of the kids?!" argument is pretty hilarious.

Good luck, Evanston. I think Naperville fought and lost this battle against Show-Me's. Not sure if they tried to claim emotional and physical harm against children though.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #264
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

wow, talk about stupidity...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #265
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

My son celebrated his 1-year birthday dinner at Tilted Kilt. 5 of the waitresses came over and sang to him. I'm not sure I've ever seen a bigger smile on his face.

So I think the effect on children is nothing but positive.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #266
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think Evanston should strive for something better than Tilted Kilt in the middle of their downtown,
with the large amount of empty storefronts around downtown evnaston, the city should be bending over backwards begging retailers to activate all of that vacant space with tax revenue generating business enterprises. tilted kilt is not a strip club, its just a themed sports bar. i utterly fail to see what the hell the ruckus about it is. if you don't like themed sports bars, then by all means don't patronize them, but how in the hell would the presence of a themed sports bar in downtown evanston hurt anyone? it just doesn't make any sense.

what a profoundly stupid decision by evanston's mayor.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #267
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
with the large amount of empty storefronts around downtown evnaston, the city should be bending over backwards begging retailers to activate all of that vacant space with tax revenue generating business enterprises. tilted kilt is not a strip club, its just a themed sports bar. i utterly fail to see what the hell the ruckus about it is. if you don't like themed sports bars, then by all means don't patronize them, but how in the hell would the presence of a themed sports bar in downtown evanston hurt anyone? it just doesn't make any sense.

The closest one is in vernon hills, there is one at 17 N Wabash.
Ive never heard of them, probably because Im old.
It hasnt invaded northern cook county yet.

Isn't it high-time you found out why "A Cold Beer Never Looked So Good"?
is their motto

I see they started in las vegas in 2003.
Yeah that definitely wouldve packed them in.
Im sure they are making money hand over fist.
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #268
msu2001la

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
The closest one is in vernon hills, there is one at 17 N Wabash.
Ive never heard of them, probably because Im old.
It hasnt invaded northern cook county yet.

Isn't it high-time you found out why "A Cold Beer Never Looked So Good"?
is their motto

I see they started in las vegas in 2003.
Yeah that definitely wouldve packed them in.
Im sure they are making money hand over fist.
There is a Tilted Kilt in the Chicago Loop at/near Madison and Wabash. I've never been there, but I haven't heard reports of kids being emotionally damaged by it's presence.
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #269
msu2001la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Agree, but it's not surprised given Evanston has some really weird and ultra-conservative attitudes towards any establishment that involves alcohol.

Remember when someone wanted to open a high-end whiskey/scotch/bourbon retail store on Davis across from the new Sherman Plaza near the Argo Tea? I recall people saying it would become a magnet for heroin addicts and prostitution.

I was shocked when they let Buffalo Wild Wings open up on Church Street.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #270
spyguy
Expert

http://www.evanstonnow.com/story/gov...ce-cut-on-land

Developer asks city for price cut on land
Monday, May 9, 2011, at 10:05 am by Bill Smith

Evanston aldermen this evening will be asked to approve giving the developer of a proposed apartment complex on Chicago Avenue price break of about 15 percent on city-owned land needed for the project.

...That year the city approved a planned development for several parcels along Chicago Avenue south of Kedzie Street under which AMLI would construct 214 apartment units.

...City officials now say AMLI hopes to start construction by the end of this year, with completion by the middle of 2013.
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #271
spyguy
Expert

http://centralstreetneighbors.com/co...722-central-st

Report: Forum on the Eastwood (1700-1722 Central St.)

On June 7, Ald. Jane Grover and Central Street Neighbors sponsored a meeting at the Ecology Center for a presentation by the developer and architect for the property located at 1700-22 Central Street ("The Eastwood"), site of the former Evanston Theatres complex.

78 apartments and 13k sf retail
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #272
spyguy
Expert

Chicago and Main is now going to be an office tower and not that ugly, ugly condo building that was proposed years ago.

80k sf office, retail, 203 parking spaces (!)

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #273
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

^ Nice. Now only if they can get that Fountain Square tower going......
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #274
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Jesus Christ, why in the hell could you need all that parking? There is parking everywhere in Evanston... I have never once had a problem even finding street parking.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #275
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

Quote:
Chicago and Main is now going to be an office tower and not that ugly, ugly condo building that was proposed years ago.

WOW, that is so much better than that awful condo tower that was formerly proposed there.

i'm still sore about the fact that the beautiful old terra cotta beauty that used to sit there was ripped down, but now that the site has been vacant for years, this is a best possible case scenario. i hope they can move forward on it.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #276
mohammed wong

Glad to see an office tower going up there in Evanston at Chicago and Main.
There is enough residential there, people need to work as well!

Like Jane Jacobs says, dont put all your chess pieces in one spot.
Its important to have different use buildings as well as density!
That way its never a dead zone. Busy during the day and night is good for the area.
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #277
spyguy
Expert

The AMLI project above was approved and supposedly will start construction this fall.

Focus Development is reviving the Sienna project, replacing the last 2 condo buildings with a single S-shaped 8 story apartment building with 174 units and reduced parking. The developer also claims construction will begin this fall.
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #278
mohammed wong

Amli going up where salvation army was?

Quote:
The AMLI project above was approved and supposedly will start construction this fall.

Focus Development is reviving the Sienna project, replacing the last 2 condo buildings with a single S-shaped 8 story apartment building with 174 units and reduced parking. The developer also claims construction will begin this fall.
Okay this is going up at Chicago and Kedzie
where the onestory commerical building now lies vacant
where the salvation army/cleaners were at right?

http://www.amli.com/apartments/chicago/evanston/

737 Chicago Evanston, IL

Hmm it looks like there is a car lot right by there actually
a bit further south. I do wonder what is going on with the former salvation
army one story building though

Last edited by mohammed wong; August 25th, 2011 at 08:08 PM.