daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #21
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

1800 Ridge
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #22
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

here are some sweet-ass aerials of evanston posted over at SSP by KCgridlock as part of his bigger over chicago thread. i thought they should be poted in this thread too.

here's some new TOD in south evanston. that's the south boulevard L platform in the bottom right:

[img]http://photos.***************/kcgridlock/chicago/IMG_1416_sized.jpg[/img]

new and old TOD density around the main street L stop/metra station, seen in the lower lefthand corner, also in south evanston:

[img]http://photos.***************/kcgridlock/chicago/IMG_1415_sized.jpg[/img]

and finally, two lovely shots of downtown evanston and its burgeoning mini-skyline. northwestern university's campus can bee seen in the background along the lakeshore.
[img]http://photos.***************/kcgridlock/chicago/IMG_1413_sized.jpg[/img]

the gray residential tower in the upper righthand corner of this shot is still under construction. what you're seeing is the exposed structrural concrete which will be painted in the not too distant future.

[img]http://photos.***************/kcgridlock/chicago/IMG_1412_sized.jpg[/img]

all thanks to KCgridlock for these great aerial shots.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #23
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

---ediit---
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #24
mohammed wong

that tod that you pointed out across from the el there at the south blvd stop i believe? right near where oakton ends
is pretty heinous, its a total dead zone there with no retail on a busy street, and its across from the el, i think they shouldve put balconies on it,
and made the first floor taller and with retail in it,
those are very clausterphobic type buildings with no character and they are all alike,

otherwise the pictures are great, overall i like the new developments in evanston and they are of higher quality than the average neigborhood developments in chicago. optima is my favorite condo building developer, their buildings are similar in flavour but not identical,
i just find that what they are doing to chicago avenue is kindof bland,
its okay, just not great,
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #25
spyguy
Expert

Dobson-Ridge plan still over zoning limit

After three meetings with neighbors, a developer presented revised plans for a condo project on the northwest corner of Dobson Street and Ridge Avenue to the city's planning staff Wednesday.

The latest plan cuts the height of the building to five stories from six and reduces the number of units to 33 from 38.

But Assistant Community Development Director Carolyn Brzezinski said that's still 11 units more than the R5 zoning for the site allows.

Continued
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #26
spyguy
Expert

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/670

510 Sheridan condo project clears first hurdle

Plans for a new seven-story condominium building at 510 Sheridan Road drew a favorable response in its first review by city staff Wednesday.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #27
mohammed wong

^
^
call me sentimental but i like the older building more,
ive got a soft spot for weird buildings

plus there is parking right underneath the building,
its factory like too....
this type of building is in trouble,
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #28
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy

Dobson-Ridge plan still over zoning limit

After three meetings with neighbors, a developer presented revised plans for a condo project on the northwest corner of Dobson Street and Ridge Avenue to the city's planning staff Wednesday.

The latest plan cuts the height of the building to five stories from six and reduces the number of units to 33 from 38.

But Assistant Community Development Director Carolyn Brzezinski said that's still 11 units more than the R5 zoning for the site allows.

Continued

that is fucugly design jesus, they can adhere to the zoning without making something that only its mother could love

it looks like a cyclops with that weird big window complex in the middle
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #29
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ agreed on both accounts, wong.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #30
spyguy
Expert

Another image of the Winthrop Club

Not as boxy as I thought
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #31
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ yeah, that's the rendering for winthrop club that is on the sign that recently went up on the building that is slated to be demolished for this developemnt (don't worry, the two existing buildings on site are rather mediocre and nondescript). i wish i could find a larger color version of it on line somewhere.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #32
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ yeah, that's the rendering for winthrop club that is on the sign that recently went up on the building that is slated to be demolished for this developemnt (don't worry, the two existing buildings on site are rather mediocre and nondescript). i wish i could find a larger color version of it on line somewhere.

the winthrop club looks nice,
definitely a nice uppity name too!
1567 maple
is the address
it is where maple hits davis street,
very close to metra,
so this would be classified as TOD for sure.
i would like to see what is being razed for this,
but seems like a good location for it.

hopefully it will have retail at the bottom.

something from emporis
This design replaces a larger proposal by the same developer and architect: 1567 Maple Avenue.
- The building is expected to be LEED certified with at least a silver rating, making it one of the first residential high-rises in Illinois to do so.
- Like almost every residential high-rise in Evanston, this will feature a 'green roof' to collect rainwater, reduce thermal reflection, and save energy costs.
- The developer plans a $150,000 contribution to a city affordable-housing fund and $100,000 to improve landscaping on the commuter rail embankment across Elmwood Avenue.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #33
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
^
^
call me sentimental but i like the older building more,
ive got a soft spot for weird buildings

plus there is parking right underneath the building,
its factory like too....
this type of building is in trouble,

I agree, I always liked that little wacked out is it an office-warehouse-apartment???? blue thing.

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #34
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
1567 maple
is the address
it is where maple hits davis street,
well, it's not right at the corner of maple and davis, 1567 will acutally be a mid-block property just south of the two properties at the corner.

Quote:
i would like to see what is being razed for this,
as i said in my post above, the two existing buildings on site are nothing special. you got the 1 story funeral home with the wonky faux stone facade that's kinda of cool in a kitschy way, but it will not be missed. and the 3 story jung center is a rather plain 3 story red-brick neo-colonial structure complete with white shutters and a stupid little pedimented entry. i'm just not a fan of this building style, especially not anywhere in and around chicago.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #35
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

regarding 510 Sheridan: I wonder what effect an adjacent cemetery has on land value, especially in a location where view counts (Lake Michigan is right out there).

Does anyone know how the building across Calvery at Sheridan and Juneway in Rogers Park is doing in sales? Half the condos and, I'm sure, some of the town houses, face the cemetery in a similiar situation: lots of blue of the lake and the green of the cemetery....but it still is a cemetery. Does that affect property values?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #36
spyguy
Expert

Here's a pic of the model:
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:08 AM   #37
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

very nice!
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM   #38
edsg25
BANNED

where excactly is the location for the proposed winthrop club?
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:53 PM   #39
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ 1567 maple

it's going on a plot of land currently occupied by the jung center and the donnellan funeral home.
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:02 PM   #40
edsg25
BANNED

Evanston, more so than other suburbs, has always valued its diversity.

I'm curious what does of you who know Evanston well think about the following:

Evanston is cashing in on its super location (on the lake, close to the city, part of the North Shore) to experience an unpresidented building boom, largely in high end multi-unit residential construction (condos, town houses).

Much of this growth has been in the eastern portion of the city, from its downtown area and then south along the Chicago Avenue corridor where Metra and CTA rapid transit are readily available.

But the city itself is "hot". And getting more and more expensive. What are the implictions of this growth on Evanston's future. More specifically, how will it affect Evanston's minority community? With rising land prices and the highly desirable location, how will this all play out in places like Evanston's African American community? The area around Church and Dodge (where Evanston High is located) is an old, established black community? Is it threatened by Evanston's growth and will it be open to the same type of gentrification that has occured in Chicago's North Side lakefront neighborhoods? In its own way, Evanston could be viewed as being as desirable as Lincoln Park. It is a wonderful cross between city and suburb and it is often easier to get to the Loop via Metra than by anything Lincoln Park offers.

Will such accessability and desirability cause Evanston to go more "upscale" and displace its significant and priced out minority communities?