daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #61
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah, but it would be absolutely amazing if it did happen.

Now, the video screen there would threaten to turn a mainly quiet square into a bright, flashing, busy place. It would also detract from the War Memorial beneath it.

I'd be in favor of the sign if there wasn't a memorial there, though. It'd be sorta like mini-Times Square.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #62
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

from this week's evanston roundtable

Thumbs Up for Carroll Place

By Bill Smith

The City Council Monday declined to accept the Plan Commission's recommendation that it reject developer Robert King's proposal for the 18-story, 165-unit Carroll Place development at 1881 Oak Ave.

The aldermen voted 8-0 to have the City's legal staff draft an ordinance approving the project, and scheduled a committee hearing on the proposal for June 26.

The aldermen did not debate the merits of the project during Monday's meeting or offer any explanation of their decision to reject the Plan Commission recommendation.
It was not clear what modifications of the proposal, if any, they may seek from the developer.

Former 2nd Ward Alderman Betty Burns Paden complained to the aldermen that the Carroll Place project would "drive poor people and black people out of town."

Ms. Paden, who lives at 1122 Emerson St. said her family has lived in the are for 160 years. "My community was torn down because of Research Park," she said, "and now it's being built up to something ungodly that doesn't conform to the neighborhood."

She called the project a monstrosity that would drive up taxes so high that current residents could no longer live in the area.

A move to reconsider the council's rejection of the 27-unit Darrow Corners affordable housing development failed when no alderman who had voted against the plan was willing to support a reconsideration motion.

Bennett Johnson of the Evanston Community Development Corporation said the Council supports new housing for upper- and middle- income families, but rejects new housing for low income families.

He said the actions would lead to a divided, racially segregated city and predicted the vacant site at Church Street and Darrow Avenue would remain a scar on the community for many years to come.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #63
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

The Winthrop Club (again)
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #64
spyguy
Expert

Looks like an old greenhouse

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/992

Retail-office plan for Church-Dodge
Bill Smith

A developer has shown city officials preliminary plans to renovate and expand properties on Church Street just west of Dodge Avenue.
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #65
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

wow, those latest are some seriously dope proposals. The old theatre was kinda of a throwback and it would have been cool if they could save it but I guess its just not practicle. I'm liking the new proposal though. It should make it a nice little bustling area right after NU games.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #66
spyguy
Expert

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1031

Aldermen OK high rise on Emerson
Bill Smith
| Mon, 07/10/2006 - 11:29pm.

The City Council tonight approved plans for an 18-story, 165-unit condominium development on the long-vacant property at 1881 Oak Ave. in Research Park.

Last edited by spyguy; July 11th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #67
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Those folks at the new building on Central will have a helluva time getting in and out of their units on NU football Saturdays at Ryan Field!
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #68
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
Those folks at the new building on Central will have a helluva time getting in and out of their units on NU football Saturdays at Ryan Field!
They'll just have to get their raccoon coats out of storage, their megaphones and penants and liquor flasks from the attic and go root for the Wildcats. It'll be the bees knees!
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #69
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie
They'll just have to get their raccoon coats out of storage, their megaphones and penants and liquor flasks from the attic and go root for the Wildcats. It'll be the bees knees!
please! i will accept nothing less than them being dressed in purple from head to foot!
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #70
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

I like that comment about the folks of Rogers Park,
its nice to see that their nimbyism is of no consequence.

The theatre replacement plan looks great, always sad to lose old theatre but this one isnt a must save, I remember my parents took me to see Thief there when I was a little kid. Im so glad that they are saving that awesome old farm house. Thats Fabulous. Evanston is really a model for Development most of the time.
And Chicago could take some cues from them.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #71
edsg25
BANNED

I am happy to see redevelopment in Evanston reach the intersection of Church and Dodge. This is one of the city's most promient intersections, known all over town as the location of one of Evanston's most cherished institutions, Evanston Township High School. In fact, ETHS may be the only significant institution for lakefront oriented Evanston that is actually on the city's struggling west side.

What a wonderful catylist development of the highly visible and psychologically important intersection of Church and Dodge would be.
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #72
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
I like that comment about the folks of Rogers Park,
its nice to see that their nimbyism is of no consequence.

The theatre replacement plan looks great, always sad to lose old theatre but this one isnt a must save, I remember my parents took me to see Thief there when I was a little kid. Im so glad that they are saving that awesome old farm house. Thats Fabulous. Evanston is really a model for Development most of the time.
And Chicago could take some cues from them.
Mohammed, neither the Evanston I or II were hardly grand out threatres. Evanston's loss would have no comparison to Rogers Park's loss years ago of the Granada. Now THAT was a movie palace.

Meanwhile, for Evanston, there was far more character in the old downtown theatres like the Varsity and Valencia and even the Coronet on Chicago Ave. near Main.
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #73
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

from this week's evanston roundtable. isn't it just like evanston to reject what is possbily the coolest proposal this little town has ever seen while they green-light vertical turds like sherman plaza. well, most evanstonians seem to have thier heads shoved so far up their own asses that i suppose expecting them to appreciate good design is expecting too much.

Council Rejects Optima Proposal

By Bill Smith

At the July 24 City Council meeting, aldermen voted 8-0 to accept the Plan Commission's recommendation to deny a developer's request to build an 18-story high-rise building called Optima Promenade at 1515 Chicago Ave. It would have been the fourth high-rise in downtown Evanston built by architect David Hovey.

The aldermen did not discuss a revision to the proposal submitted from the developer that would have reduced the building's height by 20 feet, increased the width of the alley behind the building by three feet, increased other setbacks and relocated the rear loading dock to the north end of the building.

Nor did they discuss a staff recommendation to reduce the building's height by an additional 20 feet, to 145 feet, and cut 20 condo units from the 175 proposed in Mr. Hovey's revised plan.

In urging the Council to reject the Optima Promenade proposal, Alderman Cheryl Wollin, 1st Ward, said the site is "a very fragile transition area between downtown and residential neighborhoods. This particular architectural plan," she added, "is really insensitive to the context of the neighborhood."

Chris Westerberg, 525 Grove St., a leader of neighborhood opposition to the project, said she was gratified that the aldermen understood concerns neighbors raised. S

Yet the proposal had won praise from local architect James Torvik, who called it "an excellent example of a fine downtown building." In addition, Jonathan Perman, executive director of the Chamber of Commerce, said the development, which included retail and commercial space, would attract more diners and shoppers to downtown.

In a July 17 memo to City Manager Julia Carroll, James Wolinski, director of community development, said the development would "enhance the vitality of the downtown." In addition, he said, it would produce $508,000 in real estate taxes to the City, and an annual surplus of $724,000-$950,000 to School District 65 and $645,000-$707,000 to School District 202.

Anjana Hansen, 9th Ward alderman, was absent from the meeting.
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #74
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #75
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Look at these geezers! What do they care, they'll be seeing the inside of a Nursing Home shortly, so why are they messing with my future?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #76
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
f
In urging the Council to reject the Optima Promenade proposal, Alderman Cheryl Wollin, 1st Ward, said the site is "a very fragile transition area between downtown and residential neighborhoods. This particular architectural plan," she added, "is really insensitive to the context of the neighborhood."
This is the first time I've seen any attempt to look at downtown Evanston as having "zones". This appears to be an attempt to keep the high rises away from the eastern portion of the business district where it abuts the low scale and very expensive homes that border the lake.

I hope this has no effect on the project at Fountain Square (admittedly, alhtough only a block away) a much denser site already.
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #77
spyguy
Expert

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1143

New condos planned for Chicago Avenue
Bill Smith
| Wed, 07/26/2006 - 10:49pm.

A developer plans a six-story condo building for the site of an auto dealership at 1001 Chicago Ave.
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #78
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

I am all for this style development both in evanston and along commercial strips in Chicago....

.....one where I would love to see this style is along Ashland between peterson and I don't remember now if it thome or glenlake or something....but there is a large lot there and this style of development would bring some much needed activity to that stretch of ashland
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #79
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Oh....is that proposed 38 story hotel for DT dead?? I t was on emporis but I don't think it is there anymore
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM   #80
spyguy
Expert

^I think it's still active.

----
http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1157

Fewer cranes on downtown skyline
Bill Smith
| Tue, 08/01/2006 - 6:32am