daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM   #81
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Is that 38 story hotel/retail mix proposed for the fountain dead and gone or is it still a least a tenuous proposal....anyone heard anything.....I think it would be super cool....as long as Dr. Wax doesn't get pinched out
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:42 PM   #82
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1295

^ the developer doesn't even own the land yet, and it hasn't even begun to go through any formal approval process with the city. right now it's a just a vague outline of an idea on paper. why the developer went public with this plan before even securing any of the property is beyond me.

and with the hahn building already landmarked and the attmepts to get the building on the north end of the block landmarked as well, my gut is telling me not to count on this one happening. i wouldn't be so bold to say it's "as dead as disco" per se, but as the magic 8 ball would say: "outlook not so good".
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM   #83
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

So, I was just in downtown Evanston for the first time in a long time, and wow! The place has become so built up! That new Barnes and Noble is a suprisingly good looking building. It fits in well with the neighborhood.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:25 PM   #84
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
So, I was just in downtown Evanston for the first time in a long time, and wow! The place has become so built up! That new Barnes and Noble is a suprisingly good looking building. It fits in well with the neighborhood.
Look like Sherman Plaza is going to be getting some really good stores. Does anyone know if there are plans for the old B&N site? It is a great location and it would seem to me should be filled rather quicily.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:18 PM   #85
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
The place has become so built up! That new Barnes and Noble is a suprisingly good looking building. It fits in well with the neighborhood.
uhhhhhhhhh....... i guess the low-rise portions of sherman plaza are ok, but overall, i think the entire development looks pretty bad. the condo tower is going to be especially hideous with the beige paint and the beige balcony railings..... talk about bland. and what the hell is the deal with those ridiculous white metal grills in the parking garage openings? they look awful. architecturally speaking, sherman plaza is a bust, but at least it is bland enough to make most evanstonians happy (ie. no orange balconies).
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:09 AM   #86
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
uhhhhhhhhh....... i guess the low-rise portions of sherman plaza are ok, but overall, i think the entire development looks pretty bad. the condo tower is going to be especially hideous with the beige paint and the beige balcony railings..... talk about bland. and what the hell is the deal with those ridiculous white metal grills in the parking garage openings? they look awful. architecturally speaking, sherman plaza is a bust, but at least it is bland enough to make most evanstonians happy (ie. no orange balconies).
Dan, I believe that there are portions of the Church Street side of Sherman Plaza that are under different ownership. I wondered if this affected the configuration of the two wings of the tower. By placing one wing on Davis Street, it would seem to me that the developers cut down the view of the Chicago skyline. If possible, using Church and Benson would have afforded views from both wings....do you know if the ownership on the Church Street side of the site affected the placement of the tower?
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM   #87
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

sherman plaza was all built as one development partnered with the city of evanston, so no, there are not different owners for the church street portion of the project.
Old September 1st, 2006, 02:58 AM   #88
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
sherman plaza was all built as one development partnered with the city of evanston, so no, there are not different owners for the church street portion of the project.
what i meant was....aren't there portions of church street that do not belong to focus development? Obviously past B&N, but my impression was some of the businesses on the south side of Church would remain and that the project was less than a full block.
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:13 AM   #89
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ oh yeah, the two properties on the northwest corner of the block along church are owned by other people, but they were never part of the sherman plaza redevelopment plan.
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #90
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Carroll Place's waterfall will be awesome to see in real life. But I'm sure it'll be a pain to maintain.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #91
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Wow, that is just cool.

They made the parking garage into the hanging gardens of Babylon! Hopefully, it won't look that bad in winter.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:59 AM   #92
spyguy
Expert

There is finally some construction work going on with 413-421 Howard Apartments.
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #93
spyguy
Expert

Another example of stupidity and another reason not to listen to NIMBY's

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1452

Redesign unveiled for theater site
Bill Smith | Thu, 10/12/2006 - 4:24pm.
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #94
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I'm curious to see what the original proposal looked like.

That goes to show you why I don't buy NIMBY's arguments regarding "preserving character" when they obviously don't mind seeing historic buildings demolished to accommodate their frivolous demands.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #95
spyguy
Expert

^Look at post #64 for the original proposal and the older building they were going to preserve (which no one asked them to do).
Old October 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #96
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

* Increases the depth of first-floor storefronts from about 28 feet to about 40 feet.

what is the biggest aesthetic or practical considerations (excuses) people would have with moving a building 15 feet farther away from the street? I just don't see the atheistic or practical benefit in it.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #97
mohammed wong

Evanstonians are being stupid,
why do they or we have to listen to the idiot nimbies,
the older design is a billion times better, that new one looks like poop,
this is just like what happened at south street and chicago by the el station,
thats the five buildings that are pretty vanilla, all because they had to use up all the land to the max because no high rise could go up.

Do nimbies really have that much clout?
If I ran for mayor for evanston I would run under the nimby ticket, and then as soon elected I would approve everything cool, and watch the nimbies tear their hair out and gnash their teeth. And then the nimbies would move out.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #98
mohammed wong

that new rendering looks very similar to a set of new buildings in highland park, that are okay, but superblah, where the jamba juice is there
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #99
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
Evanstonians are being stupid,
why do they or we have to listen to the idiot nimbies,
the older design is a billion times better, that new one looks like poop,
this is just like what happened at south street and chicago by the el station,
thats the five buildings that are pretty vanilla, all because they had to use up all the land to the max because no high rise could go up.

Do nimbies really have that much clout?
If I ran for mayor for evanston I would run under the nimby ticket, and then as soon elected I would approve everything cool, and watch the nimbies tear their hair out and gnash their teeth. And then the nimbies would move out.

^ Are you trying to write a poem? What's with the never-ending sentence broken down into verses?

Or perhaps it's just a SOAP note
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #100
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Are you trying to write a poem? What's with the never-ending sentence broken down into verses?

Or perhaps it's just a SOAP note
yeah its does look funny.....
whatever happened to that chicago development group that was meeting at billy goats? it was COAG or i think something else.
just wondering.