daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #101
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Citizens for Better Planning. We're still here, in fact we just had a meeting last Thursday evening.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2006, 03:51 AM   #102
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

from the evanston roundtable

Construction Begun on Howard Street High-Rise

Bristol Chicago Development LLC recently announced that it has begun construction of a $55-million, 221-unit luxury rental tower in Evanston on Howard Street. Local officials expect the building to play a significant role in the continued redevelopment of the Howard Street corridor in Evanston.

The development, named Howard Street Station, was designed by the architectural firm of Solomon, Cordwell, Buenz & Associates, Inc. and will be built by Weis Builders, Inc. Bristol Chicago expects to complete the project by May 2008. In addition to private investment, the development received $5 million in tax-increment financing (TIF) that will be amortized over 14 years.

"This development is the largest investment ever on the Evanston side of Howard Street and may be the most important real estate project in 100 years in south Evanston.

"Between the quality of the development, its proximity to the soon-to-be-improved Howard CTA station, the Howard Street Station development will serve as an anchor for ongoing economic development on the Evanston and Chicago sides of Howard Street," said Alderman Ann Rainey, 8th Ward.

"It's important to recognize the leadership shown by City staff, and the support of Mayor Lorraine Morton and the entire City Council to make this development a reality," she added.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:47 PM   #103
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

from today's chicago tribune:

Evanston officials eye NU plot
Civic Center disrepair spurs land search

By Deborah Horan
Tribune staff reporter
Published October 23, 2006

Scaffolding prevents shingles from sliding off the roof. Strips of duct tape adhere like Band-Aids to broken floors. The fuse box and radiators are originals, circa 1909.

Evanston's Civic Center, at 2100 Ridge Ave., is falling apart, forcing the city to search for new accommodations--and rekindling old tensions over land with Northwestern University, which happens to own the plot city officials say is best suited for a new city hall.

University officials say the city has threatened to take the 1-acre plot at University Place and Railroad Avenue by eminent domain if Northwestern refuses to sell.

Evanston City Council members won't say whether they have discussed eminent domain with university officials. They did say the plot, located just south of Emerson Street, is one of several under consideration.

They also said they hope it won't come down to eminent domain.

"We certainly have that option," said Ald. Ann Rainey (8th). "But that would be the last thing we would want to do."

University officials said council members first approached them about selling the property last month. Northwestern declined, university spokesman Alan Cubbage said.

"Land is very valuable to us," Cubbage said. The university offered to share the use of any building constructed on the land, he said, but "we really are not interested in money."

Last week, city officials returned with talk of eminent domain, Cubbage said.

The university acquired the plot in a land swap with the city eight years ago, a deal the university agreed to even though the swap left it with a smaller plot, Cubbage said.

Still, the university might be interested in another land swap or in rezoning property west of Sheridan Road to allow the university to acquire property there, Cubbage said.

The main concern is making sure the university's reserve of land is not depleted, he said.

"We're relatively small [geographically] for a university of our [enrollment]," Cubbage said.

The city, meanwhile, is in desperate need of a new location, and the university plot, where Evanston's farmers market is located, is ideal because it is large, central, vacant and close to public parking and public transportation, city officials said.

"It would be perfect if it were owned by the city," said Max Rubin, director of facilities management at the current Civic Center.

Council members said they considered renovating the current location, a four-story building constructed in 1909 as a Catholic girls school. The estimated cost, however, between $20 million and $30 million, is prohibitive.

"If we sell the Civic Center and get money ... we then have a pocket to dip into to buy a new place," said Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th). "If we stay there, we have to find $20 million [to renovate]."

Staying put isn't an ideal option, Rubin said. The ceiling leaks, the bathrooms don't accommodate wheelchairs and the fuses continually blow, he said. The air-conditioning units, buried in the ceiling, are in constant need of repair.

Old radiators heat hallways with vaulted ceilings at an exorbitant cost, and the building design, small rooms and large staircases, does not meet the needs of civic affairs.

It would cost $2 million just to fix the roof, Rubin said.

"It's a hazard," he said. "It's a risk to the people around the building.

"We need to take action."
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #104
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah they have been prepping the site for some time now....the last couple of weeks.....this development has me excited since I live very nearby.....it also make me sad / angry at the absolute schlock that is gateway center......what a wasted opportunity for a truly stunning city entrance and a great mix of retail and residential....a shame......I didn't follow gateways development ( though it is better than waht was there before) but was Ald Joe (less) Moore responsible??
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:00 AM   #105
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1518

Plan board to get west side studies
Bill Smith
| Mon, 10/30/2006
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM   #106
spyguy
Expert

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1532

Methodist board plans new HQ here
Bill Smith
| Wed, 11/01/2006
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM   #107
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

I was up in evanston tonight and nocticed the Mather tower sales office is open......I forget is the Mather tower an old persons home??
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM   #108
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
I forget is the Mather tower an old persons home??
yes, the mather project actually consists of two ten story buildings on the eastern edge of downtown geared towards all levels of senior living.

here's a rendering:

Last edited by Steely Dan; November 3rd, 2006 at 04:23 PM.
Steely Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:17 PM   #109
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Let's see. Town houses going for $300,000-$500,000 east of Green Bay at Emerson, continued talk of a major redevelopment at Church and Dodge, and all those folks with big bucks mving to downtown condos.

Nice to see Evanston wants to remain diversified and racially mixed....and not make ETHS as white as New Trier.

No squeeze play on here, right?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #110
spyguy
Expert

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1571

Residents eye new Main-Chicago condos
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #111
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ that's some bad news for the very nice 2 story early 20th century terra cotta commercial building currently on that corner. the development may be an ideal spot for more dense usage, given that it's located directly across the street form the main street L and metra stations, but the renderings above hardly show a worthy replacement structure.

in other evanston news, howard street station is now officially under construction
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #112
edsg25
BANNED

spyguy,

I see the building is L shaped and that the residential portion stretches to Hinman. Will the entire south side of Main Street from Chicago to Hinman be part of the project or just the western portion?
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #113
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ just the western portion. the building that you're seeing on the eastern half of that block is an existing 7 or so story pre-war building. that building is staying put. but the exquisite 2 story terra cotta building on the western half of the block looks to now have a date with the wrecking ball, and that sucks because this new project looks pretty banal by comparison.

Last edited by Steely Dan; November 12th, 2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #114
edsg25
BANNED

thanks, Steel; in retrospect I realized that building was there (although the drawing makes the block appear longer than it is). I'm actually ashamed of myself here....I once lived at Main and Judson. I should have remembered that bldg from the start.
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #115
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Damn the poor Irish store will be gone...and it is a cool 2storu terra cotta bldg......I am for more dense development in Ev esp near trains but this one I'm mixed about......and that 7story bllg is super cool and so is the coffee house on hinman
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #116
edsg25
BANNED

What are the chances, in ten years or so, for Chicago Avenue from Clark or Church to South Blvd. being some sort of a "corridor", a scaled down, suburban version of Sheridan Road from Hollywood to Devon (particularly north of Main where condos can be built on both sides of the street)?
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #117
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

delete

Last edited by Steely Dan; September 8th, 2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old November 18th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #118
spyguy
Expert

http://www.evanstonnow.com/node/1604

Another high-rise for Research Park
Bill Smith
| Thu, 11/16/2006
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #119
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

from Evanston Now:

1001 Chicago goes before plan board
Bill Smith | Mon, 12/04/2006 - 9:17am.
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #120
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Any idea when the Howard Station development...that highrise is supposed to be completed...I forgot

I may try to go over there and get some construction update photos if I get a chance