daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Kuwait > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #1
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 4

Liberation Tower

Name:Liberation Tower
Height: 372 m

The Telecommunication Centre, which was inaugurated on 15 March 1996, is located in the heart of Kuwait City and stands on an area of 21 thousand square meters. The Communication Tower (Liberation Tower) is the most important component of this centre. Its height of 372 meters makes it the fourth highest tower after those in Toronto, Moscow, and Germany.

The tower is comprised of two main parts: the lower part, which is built of concrete, represents the main skeleton of the tower, meanwhile the upper part is a post made of metal.

The middle part of the tower is a wide public reception hall of 1500 meters which features a restaurant, a cafeteria and a platform to view Kuwait's landmarks.

There are seven wireless transmission stands, which serve domestic and international communication.

Liberation Tower is not only a tourist landmark in both Kuwait and the Gulf region but also a principal link between Kuwait and the outside world. Construction of the tower started in April 1987, and was stopped because of the Iraqi aggression on Kuwait. After liberation, construction work was resumed and the tower was officially inaugurated on 10 March 1996.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 25th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

i could see this tower is much underrated , that why i decided to give it owen thread

if you have any infromation or pictures please do not hesitant to shear them with us

Old December 25th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #3
vana8

Likes (Received): 0

The situation with the Liberation Tower is very bewildering to me. If my info is correct, it is only open like 2 days a year for "tourists" (during independence and naturally liberation day). There are no functioning services such as restaurants (although there was a rumuor that Villa Moda was looking at operating a restaurant there), and it hardly serves its intended reason for being built - communication.

I'd still love to take a peek at the view from up there. Must be magnificent.

Thanks skoulikimou for bringing this up. I am just as curious as you are to find out what the hell is going on with this tower, and if there is anyone with any "insider" news.
vana8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Ikarus_q8

hi skoulikimou , thanks for bringing up such topic.
by the way you said it has restaurant thats open for public and vana8 says it has'nt , e7terna who's correct :P .
keep up the good work and happy new year
regards
Ikarus_q8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #5
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

The middle part of the tower was designed to accommodate a restaurant ,however at the current time there is nothing up there, well i have been told no one want to take it because the rent was too high, it really sad to have one of the a hottest spots in kuwait going unnoticed ,at the end of the day the tower is owned and managed by the government

Old December 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #6
AlOnSi
بوسعود

More pictures

Liberation Tower from a distance

at night

Old December 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #7
freediver

I agree this project is underappreciated and under utilized. It is really unfortunate how the Kuwait system works. You spend a lot of money and effort to build a project and some moron decides it is only to be opened 2 days a year ?????

A very similar thing is Green Island. A project which is really gorgeous and a milestone in any construction book. I am personally proud of it since I supervised its construction. I took some guests there the other day and I was dumbfounded to find how terribly it has been maintained. You have to pay 1/2 a KD just to get in ... and for WHAT ???? The beautiful lagoon inside which was designed to trap water during high tide is totally not utilized. The HUGE sand beach which we laboriously brought in by TRUCK from Jahra has a bunch of corno carpus trees in it now. The acoustically perfectely designed Outdoor Theatre was LOCKED WITH A CHAIN. The viewing elevator tower and even staricase was off ground. I almost felt like crying .... ok maybe not crying ... but I really felt like I wanted to smack whoever was responsible for that. They had a huge plastic tarp with water and soap so you could play in that muddy crap for entertainment. The is Touristic Enterprises for you. They should all be fired !!!
Old December 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Gilgamesh

Likes (Received): 14

Let's get back on topic. :P

What's the tower u/c next to it?
Gilgamesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #9
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

that tower is complete long time a go it and office tower

Old December 26th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #10
h_arc_h

anybody noticed that the picture behind the main title for this web site is a scene for kuwait city
h_arc_h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #11
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediver
I agree this project is underappreciated and under utilized. It is really unfortunate how the Kuwait system works. You spend a lot of money and effort to build a project and some moron decides it is only to be opened 2 days a year ?????

A very similar thing is Green Island. A project which is really gorgeous and a milestone in any construction book. I am personally proud of it since I supervised its construction. I took some guests there the other day and I was dumbfounded to find how terribly it has been maintained. You have to pay 1/2 a KD just to get in ... and for WHAT ???? The beautiful lagoon inside which was designed to trap water during high tide is totally not utilized. The HUGE sand beach which we laboriously brought in by TRUCK from Jahra has a bunch of corno carpus trees in it now. The acoustically perfectely designed Outdoor Theatre was LOCKED WITH A CHAIN. The viewing elevator tower and even staricase was off ground. I almost felt like crying .... ok maybe not crying ... but I really felt like I wanted to smack whoever was responsible for that. They had a huge plastic tarp with water and soap so you could play in that muddy crap for entertainment. The is Touristic Enterprises for you. They should all be fired !!!
Kuwait Touristic Enterprises sucks big time , just go and see what they have done to ure kuwait towers

Old December 26th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #12
Ikarus_q8

yes ,I agree .How can we send this message across to them ?
big question but need to find a way always
Ikarus_q8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #13
differences75
Differences75

The Kuwaiti government needs to sell Kuwait Touristic Enterprises to the private sector asap ... then things will start to happen in kuwait to the better
differences75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #14
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

by Grendizer-99 (GTM)

by khalid almasoud

by jawadn_99

by Ikaros...

by Al- Fassam

Old November 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #15
CrazY

Likes (Received): 40

this is the first time i see it in detail !!
CrazY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #16
thrasher81

Beautiful angles. Many thanks.
thrasher81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote