daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #461
leestat_d_vamp

Likes (Received): 0

know it first before talk!

I don't believe you! you're like the farse mesiah fell from nowhere. Hehehehehehe! you have to check this site before posting anything.

http://www.easternct.edu/depts/amerst/MallsWorld.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
SM Mall of Asia is not the 3rd largest in Asia. There are many malls in China that are larger including South China Mall (Dongguan), Golden Resources Mall (Beijing), Grandview Mall (Guangzhou), Chia Tai Square (Shanghai), and Beijing Mall (Beijing). If the Asia by definition relative to this thread is the Asian continent and not the Asia Pacific Region then the countries in the Middle-east would be included in this size contest. U.A.E's great booming city of Dubai is constructing a mall that would supplant even China's Ultra-sized malls by the name Mall of Arabia (The Dubai Mall is another contender but would be definitely smaller than Mall of Arabia).

SM Mall of Asia is not even the largest in South-east Asia...that distinction belongs now to Central World Plaza of Bangkok. Berjaya Times Square is also larger than MoA.

Soon it'll not even be the largest in the Philippines because SM North EDSA will expand so that it will leapfrog both SM MoA and SM Megamall in total size of floor area. Let us also not forget about the mega-expansion plans for Araneta Center (i.e. Manhattan Mall) which will likely push it to be the largest shopping complex in the world until the Triple Five Group (owners of Mall of America and West Edmonton Mall) opens their uber-sized malls in China. One would be in Dalian (with the name Mall of China) and the other would be in Wenzhou ( with the name Triple Five Wenzhou Mall) and Mall of Arabia of City of Arabia, Dubailand is completed.
leestat_d_vamp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #462
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ leestat_d_vamp

Dude, if look closely at the page which your link lead me...

SM Mall of Asia does have a larger GLA (Gross Leasable Area) but it, actually, has smaller total area than: Berjaya Times Square (Malaysia), West Edmonton Mall (Canada), Beijing Mall (China), Grandview Mall (China), Oriental Plaza (China), Mall of America (U.S.A.), Sawgrass Mills (U.S.A.), Mall of the Emirates (U.A.E.), and Central World Plaza (Thailand). So that in my standard it [SM MoA] is only the 12th largest mall in the world in total area.

The reason I used this method of comparing sizes is that one can not truly see the size of a shopping complex when you only include the GLA (gross Leasable Area). Fore example, West Edmonton Mall's actual mass-size is not given credit for in that list (if you base it on GLA size alone) because, in reality, West Edmonton Mall has more mass than SM Mall of Asia although the latter has more area for stores because a lot of West Edmonton's total area are either only indirectly linked with shopping activities (i.e. parking facilities)or non-shopping areas(i.e. indoor amusement aeas).

So in short, the reason you disagree with me is that your standards-of-comparison are different from mine. While you consider only the GLA, I consider every square meter of the shopping complex (including office space, hotel space, amusement areas, etc.).

Cheers.
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #463
paw25694
Batik

Likes (Received): 36

---deleted---
paw25694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #464
leestat_d_vamp

okay

Yeah! I guess, you have a different view from the rest of us. You're confusing yourself. It means that your standard is different from the official point of view. So I guess, better lobby your standard so that it will be used officially by the whole world. Hehehehehehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
Dude, if look closely at the page which your link lead me...

SM Mall of Asia does have a larger GLA (Gross Leasable Area) but it, actually, has smaller total area than: Berjaya Times Square (Malaysia), West Edmonton Mall (Canada), Beijing Mall (China), Grandview Mall (China), Oriental Plaza (China), Mall of America (U.S.A.), Sawgrass Mills (U.S.A.), Mall of the Emirates (U.A.E.), and Central World Plaza (Thailand). So that in my standard it [SM MoA] is only the 12th largest mall in the world in total area.

The reason I used this method of comparing sizes is that one can not truly see the size of a shopping complex when you only include the GLA (gross Leasable Area). Fore example, West Edmonton Mall's actual mass-size is not given credit for in that list (if you base it on GLA size alone) because, in reality, West Edmonton Mall has more mass than SM Mall of Asia although the latter has more area for stores because a lot of West Edmonton's total area are either only indirectly linked with shopping activities (i.e. parking facilities)or non-shopping areas(i.e. indoor amusement aeas).

So in short, the reason you disagree with me is that your standards-of-comparison are different from mine. While you consider only the GLA, I consider every square meter of the shopping complex (including office space, hotel space, amusement areas, etc.).

Cheers.
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM   #465
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

http://www.easternct.edu/depts/amerst/MallsWorld.htm

GLA
1.south china mall 660,000
2.jin yuan mall 560,000
3.SM mall of asia 386,000
4.west edmonton mall 350,000
5.SM megamall 332,000
6.SM CITY NORTH EDSA 332,000 "GLA" update!!! THE BLOCK annex 3 is already finished..
7.berjaya times square 320,000
8.beijing mall 320,000
9.Grandview Mall 280,000
10.KING of prussia mall 260,000

Last edited by aranetacoliseum; January 1st, 2007 at 04:43 PM.
aranetacoliseum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM   #466
glitz_boy

Likes (Received): 2

@aranetacoliseum ... so sad but i should say the phils malls looks so cheepoo .. it's not attractive even u show us the best pic that u have .. lack of appeal power.

@chemon/ other thai's forumer ... how far is it from the new king power to the .. lets say Siam Paragon?

My fave SEA malls are those in indonesia(jakarta, surabaya, and bali), singapore, bangkok, malaysia (KL and JB)
glitz_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM   #467
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitz_boy View Post
@aranetacoliseum ... so sad but i should say the phils malls looks so cheepoo .. it's not attractive even u show us the best pic that u have .. lack of appeal power.

@chemon/ other thai's forumer ... how far is it from the new king power to the .. lets say Siam Paragon?

My fave SEA malls are those in indonesia(jakarta, surabaya, and bali), singapore, bangkok, malaysia (KL and JB)
you know what??? i really dont care your mindless opinions...

atleast our mall are recognized and give merits internationally!!

for your informations, another mall in manila the "GATEWAY MALL" WINS another design competition in 2006 International Design and Development Awards ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMAICUS View Post
Gateway Mall wins design competition
Gateway Mall garnered the merit award in the 2006 International Design and Development Awards sponsored by the International Council of Shopping Centers, a statement from the firm said.

The International Design and Development Awards recognizes excellence and sets the standard for the best and brightest retail and redevelopment projects around the globe.

"Gateway Mall has been chosen for its innovations in mall design and amenities, serving as the catalyst for the renaissance of the urban district that is the Araneta Center," the statement said.

Winners were announced last Nov. 30 at the Marriott Desert Ridge Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona, during the International Council of Shopping Centers Centerbuild Conference, the statement added.
http://www.bworldonline.com/BW122806/content.php?id=104

the GREENBELT mall in MAKATI also win best architectural design in 2005.....

philippines, home of must see malls

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcintexas View Post
This was nice to read:

NO VANILLA IN MANILLA
The Philippines boasts some of the world’s most innovative retail projects
By Joel Groover

Asian developers hunting for new retail concepts often ask Scott Harris for a list of must-see malls in the U.S. But Harris, who, as ICSC’s vice president of business development, monitors activity in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, likes to show these seekers that a Grand Tour of American Malls may not even be all that necessary.

“If you want to see some really interesting, creative stuff that is working,” Harris tells them, “go to the Philippines.”

With the help of U.S. and European business partners and consultants, developers in China, India and the Middle East are rapidly mastering shopping center basics. In the Philippines, however, a handful of local developers have been putting up modern regional malls and mixed-use projects for decades. “Their properties are well designed and very professionally managed and operated,” said Harris. “These are people who understand the business.”

It is a hallmark of the industry’s maturity that Philippines developers — Araneta Group, Ayala Land, Robinsons Land Corp. and SM Prime Holdings among the dominant names — spend much of their time strategizing about how to reinvent, expand and differentiate aging properties. Some malls in the Philippines, such as Ayala Land’s 700,000-square-foot Greenbelt, in Manila’s Makati Central Business District, have undergone multiple remakes in the past few years and yet continue to evolve along with the country’s fast-growing consumer economy. Ayala Land plans to open the first and second phases of Greenbelt 5, a 336,000-square-foot fashion, luxury retail and fine-dining expansion (so named because it will be the fifth retail component to be built at Greenbelt) in October 2007 and August 2008, respectively. This year SM Prime Holdings completed a five-level, 820,000-square-foot expansion of one of the first malls built in the Philippines, SM City North Edsa, which has grown from one building to four since opening in Quezon City in 1985.

New malls, too, are on the drawing board, particularly on the outskirts of metro Manila and in the high-growth provincial cities. SM Prime, which owns 27 malls amounting to a total 38.7 million square feet, will open as many as six malls per year during each of the next four years, says Jeffrey Lim, the firm’s executive vice president for finance and administration. SM Prime opened five malls this year, including SM Mall of Asia, a behemoth that made international headlines and for whose May 21 opening nearly 1 million people turned out. The 4.2 million-square-foot center, which occupies 19.5 hectares in Pasay City, next to Manila Bay, is the largest mall in the Philippines and the third-largest in the world, behind only China’s Golden Resources Mall, in Beijing, and the South China Mall, in Dongguan. Besides some 700 local and international retailers and approximately 150 indoor and outdoor dining outlets, the Mall of Asia is home to the country’s first Imax cinema and its first Olympic-size skating rink. Perhaps more impressive, though, is the fact that this mammoth property is over 90 percent leased. “Sometimes it is difficult to imagine how the Philippines can hold a mall of this size,” Lim said.

The flood of international tourists visiting the mall clearly helps. But the real driver of mall development in the Philippines is the extra cash that now fattens the wallets of many local shoppers, observers say.

i hope this is an evidence that our malls are not cheap and powerless looking malls!

Last edited by aranetacoliseum; January 1st, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
aranetacoliseum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #468
brownman
Registered Pimp

Quote:

my fave malls would have to be of that of cambodia, burma and laos.
brownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM   #469
cHemon

Likes (Received): 424

Quote:
From Google Earth, it's about 2 km.
Just about 3 skytrain station far.

cHemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:50 AM   #470
glitz_boy

@araneta ... ofcoz i know those malls as i know the designer as well .. but its juz not my cup of tea .. okay? i dun wanna argue wif u again.

@chemon .. wow thats not too far ... i'll make sure to drop by on my next visit this 2007 thanks! so far i only been to those located on the bkk shopping belt =.=" hiks!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM   #471
wafu21m
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

to glitz_boy, yeah yeah yeah you have malls with good designs but not considered the largest. wer talking about large malls here. jealousy will not bring you to anything good.
wafu21m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #472
cHemon

@wafu21m
I think we're talking about Malls, not have to be the largest.
Anyway, if you want to talk about largest malls, you have to use the accurate number.

@aranetacoliseum
I came across some interesting posts in Philippines Forum talking about Groos Leasable Area. It seems that someone are trying to boast too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sera View Post
World's largest shopping malls
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of world's largest shopping malls, based on gross leasable area.

Mall Location Size (millions of square feet)
1. South China Mall Dongguan, China 7.1
2.Golden Resources Mall Beijing, China 6
3. SM Mall of Asia Manila, Philippines 4.2
4. West Edmonton Mall Edmonton, Alberta, Canada 3.8
5. SM Megamall Manila, Philippines 3.6
6. Beijing Mall Beijing, China 3.4
7. Grandview Mall Guangzhou, China 3
8. SM City North Edsa Manila, Philippines 3
9. South Coast Plaza Costa Mesa, CA, USA 2.7
10. King of Prussia Mall King of Prussia, PA, USA 2.6
11. Central World Bangkok, Thailand 2.6
12. Shopping Leste Aricanduva São Paulo, Brazil 2.6
13. Chia Tai Square Shanghai, China 2.6
14. Mall of America Bloomington, Minnesota, USA 2.5
15. Siam Paragon Bangkok, Thailand 2.5

Note: Since the NEW basis of the World's Largest Mall is on the Gross Leasable Area of a mall, the TriNoma or the Expanded SM City North EDSA will be the Biggest Mall in the Phils. soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhaelnis View Post
^ The above list is somehow inaccurate. The figures for SM North EDSA and SM Megamall are their gross floor areas. Their leasable areas, as posted in the previous threads, just range from 160,000 to 190,000 square meters. Perhaps SM gave them those figures just to be part of the list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sera View Post
I agree, The SM MoA has an actual GLA of 145,000+ Sq. m., no way near the biggest Phil. Mall. SM Mega (190,000+ sq.m.) and SM NoE (195,000+ sq.m.) even have bigger GLA's. There should be standard way of defining the Biggest Mall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhaelnis View Post
Leasable Area:

185,799 sqm. - SM City North EDSA
184,411 sqm. - SM Megamall Ortigas
142,146 sqm. - SM Mall of Asia
195,000 - 200,000 sqm. - Trinoma

@glitz_boy
Enjoy your time in Bangkok.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:09 PM   #473
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

Nice shopping centres...is bangkok alright to shop now? with all the bombings...quite scared to go leh. I love MBK and siam paragon!

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM   #474
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Likes (Received): 570

I never realize Bangkok would get bombed. Screw those bombers!
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM   #475
glitz_boy

relax ... i think should be alright bah .... few of my friends will still go bkk this month as they dun wanna cancel their trip haha ... guess they really needs a break and bkk is just a perfect place for a short getaway!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM   #476
cHemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSin View Post
Nice shopping centres...is bangkok alright to shop now? with all the bombings...quite scared to go leh. I love MBK and siam paragon!
more people die in car accident

as of today, all shopping malls, markets are still open as usual, and they're packed with locals and tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odonto View Post
Bombs can't kill Bangkok's charms, visitors say
The Associated Press
Published: January 1, 2007

BANGKOK, Thailand: Deadly New Year's bombings failed to shatter Bangkok's charms for many visitors — even one wounded in the blasts.

"I can't see why this would deter me from coming back," said Paul Hewitt, a Briton on holiday who was hurt when nine bombs went off across the Thai capital on New Year's Eve and Monday, leaving three people dead and 38 wounded, nine of them foreigners.

"I just happened to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time."

He was hospitalized Sunday night and discharged Monday after one bomb, in a crowded shopping district, drove a piece of debris deep into his left arm.

Many other tourists in Bangkok on Monday agreed with Hewitt. But travel industry insiders and analysts were more worried about the bombings' effects on tourism, a crucial driver of the Thai economy.

"What happened will most certainly hurt tourism, and will likely hurt consumer confidence as well as consumer spending," said analyst Aekpittaya Iemkongaek at brokerage BFIT Securities.

Thailand typically gets about 1 million visitors a month. In November 2006, 1.14 million arrived, up 2.4 percent from the same month in 2005, according to the latest available figures from the Bank of Thailand, the central bank.

Many tourists make repeated trips to enjoy Bangkok's elegant temples, blazing-hot food, riotous nightlife and sidewalks jammed with vendors selling everything from risque T-shirts to fried insects to high-end furniture.

Most of all they say they come back for the city's ineffably laid-back atmosphere, symbolized by its residents' famous big grins and "no-problem" charm.

An elderly, barefoot Western man, eyes closed to the midday sun, played air guitar to a Dire Straits tune outside a packed open-air pub where tourists sipped early beers and shot pool with bar hostesses on Bangkok's Sukhumvit Road.

Outside, Anne-Marie Barrette of Canada's Quebec City said the bombings, which came early in her month-long trip to Thailand, wouldn't make her think twice about coming back.

"I like the nightlife here," said Barrette, a 29-year-old psychologist. "They don't sleep. You can eat anytime, you can party anytime."

Many non-tourists, however, painted a bleaker picture.

Australia, Britain, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S. issued grim warnings to their citizens, with some advising them to avoid movement within Bangkok and saying more attacks were possible.

At the Central World Plaza shopping complex — the site of one blast — just-arrived Andrew Tomlinson, who works in marketing in London, said there is now no hiding anywhere from random danger.

"Everywhere you go, you get this," said Tomlinson, 33.

___

Associated Press writers Ambika Ahuja and Michael Casey in Bangkok contributed to this report.

Last edited by cHemon; January 2nd, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #477
kennethologist
Gettin' down with 3P!

Likes (Received): 120

the media exaggerates too much on an event that happened on less than square-meter wide area... it is inevitable that people will still go shopping amidst the apocalyptic scenarios the media portrays...
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #478
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHemon View Post
@wafu21m
I think we're talking about Malls, not have to be the largest.
Anyway, if you want to talk about largest malls, you have to use the accurate number.

@aranetacoliseum
I came across some interesting posts in Philippines Forum talking about Groos Leasable Area. It seems that someone are trying to boast too much.

there is no exact DATA where they get that info. regarding on that manipulated GLA... so as of now we should believe the SMPRIME corp. for their GLA press release...

SMPRIME is the contractor of that malls so we better believe on that..

BTW, the media is very exaggerated on bangkok bombing issues.....i watched channel newsasia and they reported that tourism in bangkok is declined....the tourism industry is hurt very much....well whats new on MEDIA...
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM   #479
kennethologist
Gettin' down with 3P!

Likes (Received): 120

some metro manila malls

I've taken some pictures of some of the popular and unpopular shopping centers in metro manila using an old school 35mm film SLR cam...

Greenbelt 3

if there is one word to describe this mall, it is the word "green." The pride of the Philippines in shopping center design.

SM Mall of Asia

the fountain at this mall is also used for fund raising to help the less fortunate.

SM City Fairview

one of the 27 malls of the SM mall chain, this one is located at the northern part of metro manila. this is an example of a suburban mall in manila.

I've also taken pics using a camera phone.

Shangri-la Plaza

one of the popular high-end shopping centers in manila, their yearly Christmas decors are a must see... during the holidays, various concerts of different artists from soloists to orchestras serenade the mall every night of the season.

SM Megamall

This mall used to be the largest shopping center in the Philippines until the Mall of Asia opened. it is still one of the most patronized malls in the Philippines drawing a crowd of 300,000 on a weekday and up to 600,000 on weekends and holidays.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #480
leestat_d_vamp

It meant one thing, supermalls started in the Philippines a long long time ago.