daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #2521
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Great pictures
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #2522
Jiangwho

Likes (Received): 58

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

BY 莜草 TIAN

Last edited by Jiangwho; October 19th, 2010 at 01:17 AM.
Jiangwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #2523
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Wow these collums are massive
But great lobby. I'm sure it will become really beautiful, like the rest of the tower!
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #2524
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

I think Guangzhou has Central Park beat...
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:22 AM   #2525
chambre12
Chambre.12

Likes (Received): 475

yes i think the same hahaha i like this building very nice for inside. and what is the opening?
chambre12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #2526
SanchezInsulationGZ

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthmchris View Post
And year over year, the 'villages' develop. They get richer. Restaurants and shops renovate, businesses expand, and the beggars are replaced by peddlers. It is this kind of economic development that's sustainable.
I don't agree with this, come on... the revenue of the restaurants where you eat at 6-10 kuai like the ones inside that pic is pretty low and they don't renovate much... neither the residential buildings as you can see

Plus it is expected that 300M+ ppl move to the cities in the following years so it is clear for me that in the middle of a newly CBD high-rise is surely sustainable and decent hotels, restaurants, KTV etc generate millions. The other crappy stuff doesn't!

What I don't see sustainable is all these expensive shops that they always put around or in the skyscrapers and always seem to be empty
SanchezInsulationGZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #2527
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15907

Expensive shops don't need many clients to be profitable.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #2528
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

yes though i prefer China to put more of its brands or hong Kong brands rather than the usual foreign brands which represent 'wealth and class' when ever people sport them. What I would like to see happen is the government allocating areas around the CBD for small food shops and shopping streets like Beijing Road in Gz, its much more lively though crowded. When I travel to Asia, in particular Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, i prefer going to those small 'oldish' restaurants on the side of the street and shopping in those small shops rather than the big classy restaurants which serve the same quality of food but charge a lot more
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #2529
GreenMonk108
The Unusual Suspect

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
yes though i prefer China to put more of its brands or hong Kong brands rather than the usual foreign brands which represent 'wealth and class' when ever people sport them. What I would like to see happen is the government allocating areas around the CBD for small food shops and shopping streets like Beijing Road in Gz, its much more lively though crowded. When I travel to Asia, in particular Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, i prefer going to those small 'oldish' restaurants on the side of the street and shopping in those small shops rather than the big classy restaurants which serve the same quality of food but charge a lot more
Yes, I agree. They should have more local brands and local dishes around the area. It is more authentic. I am sure tourists are more appreciate it.
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #2530
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 418

Massive collums!!
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #2531
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

how shit its huge
but very nicely done
quite slim construction
and i love how you can see the construction inside of the tower!

great pics people!

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #2532
Ønland
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

cool building it looks nice at night
Ønland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:26 PM   #2533
themovement

Likes (Received): 10

Sooooooo Cooooool drooooool..... This is the best site ever! Anybody who wants the perfect music to listen to while surfing ssc pm me! Dammit GZ is the future right now, forget Dubai! Hahaha

PS a little drunk dont judge me!!
themovement no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:22 AM   #2534
Herzarsen
Herzarsen

Likes (Received): 64

China's Guangzhou tower nears completion

By Mark Leftly

Sunday, 31 October 2010

The 437m tower is the tallest structure ever built to a design by a British architect.

Construction of the Guangzhou International Finance Centre in south-east China is nearly complete, and the tower is expected to take its first tenants in spring 2011. Wilkinson Eyre, a two-time winner of the Stirling Prize, designed the 103-storey tower to accommodate hotel and office space.

The Four Seasons luxury hotel group will take floors at the top, providing remarkable views of China's third-biggest city. The tower will also make a striking addition to the landscape for visitors coming to Guangzhou next month for the 16th Asian Games.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...n-2121105.html
Herzarsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:11 AM   #2535
albertobusy
MEGALOPOLIS

Likes (Received): 62

There will be any observation deck at the tower?
albertobusy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:37 AM   #2536
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Looked at a drawing of the Guangzhou West Tower on the SkyscraperPage Diagrams and it looks like there are two 100-metre high buildings attached to the West Tower.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM   #2537
mthmchris

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezInsulationGZ View Post
I don't agree with this, come on... the revenue of the restaurants where you eat at 6-10 kuai like the ones inside that pic is pretty low and they don't renovate much... neither the residential buildings as you can see

Plus it is expected that 300M+ ppl move to the cities in the following years so it is clear for me that in the middle of a newly CBD high-rise is surely sustainable and decent hotels, restaurants, KTV etc generate millions. The other crappy stuff doesn't!

What I don't see sustainable is all these expensive shops that they always put around or in the skyscrapers and always seem to be empty
I suppose I should say that I'm not completely skeptical. I'm not like Milton Friedman, for example, who famously put down Shanghai's Pudong district as being nothing but a "Potemkin village built for a dead Pharaoh" (the Pharaoh, of course, being Deng Xiaoping). I think in a country with 1.4 billion people, which will inevitably displace the United States are the world's largest economy, there's a need for skyscrapers. There's a need to build up - I'm not blind to that.

That said, looking at these real estate projects here on SkyscraperCity, I can't help but feel like a girl that just got a $30,000 diamond engagement ring. I'm amazed, and it's beautiful, but I just can't help but wonder... where did the money come from?

The answer, of course, is that the overwhelming majority of these buildings are financed by overly cheap loans doled out through the Chinese banking system. The fact that the loans are so cheap allows for real estate development to remain profitable, but also has a profound macroeconomic effect. Remember of course, that the only way that the banks can afford to give out cheap loans is by keeping the deposit rate from their customers extremely low. Thus, from a top-down perspective, the system as a whole represents a massive, yet obfuscated, transfer of wealth from Chinese households to China's real estate developers.

Now, one could argue that such a massive investment in real estate represents an investment in infrastructure for the future. I don't necessarily have too much of a contention with that argument - it doesn't necessarily irk me to see a new building being erected. What does bother me, however, is China's "redevelopment" projects. Here in Shenzhen, there was a massive swath of land called "Gangxia", which was one of the more prosperous villages in the city. The government bulldozed something like 80% of the village for the purpose of "redevelopment", yet of course the land hasn't even been developed on yet.

The way I look at it - if someone wants to build a high rise, they should bulldoze what's in the way and let the rest be. The redevelopment projects aren't really development projects, they're destruction projects. The government doesn't like the noisy, dirty city streets and prefers grandiose buildings that're attractive from the passenger side of their car. It's a very Robert Moses way of looking at a city.

As you say, China still has a large chunk of population living in its rural areas that will one day move into its cities. My question - will a poor farmer be able to afford living in one of the downtown highrises? Or go to a glitzy KTV? Or... how about dine at one of those expensive restaurants? Of course not! They'll peddle their wares, or get a job, or open a restaurant in one of those 'crappy' villages. And they'll eat those 6RMB noodles (which are, by the way, often of a higher quality than it that expensive restaurant)...

Alternatively, China could do what many cities in the United States has done, and gentrify. They can build low rent housing far outside the city, which wile being of higher quality, greatly limits the economic opportunity of its residents.
"It may be that we have become so feckless as a people that we no longer care how things do work, but only what kind of quick, easy outer impression they give. If so, there is little hope for our cities or probably for much else in our society. But I do not think this is so."
mthmchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:47 AM   #2538
NEWWORLD

Likes (Received): 87

that thing is too beautiful!

Отац Тадеј
NEWWORLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM   #2539
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Looked at a drawing of the Guangzhou West Tower on the SkyscraperPage Diagrams and it looks like there are two 100-metre high buildings attached to the West Tower.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=2518

look at the picture in that post (dont find the original post right now)
but you can see the building complex there
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM   #2540
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthmchris View Post

Alternatively, China could do what many cities in the United States has done, and gentrify. They can build low rent housing far outside the city, which wile being of higher quality, greatly limits the economic opportunity of its residents.
I think is better building new cities, suburbs policy fail in China because most chinese prefer live in city center.

Tags
guangzhou