daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #1521
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15908

Don't feed the troll, guys.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #1522
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
What happened to the light blue, mirror-like, light reflecting cladding in the renderings? The cladding is a huge downgrade.

??

And the concrete pattern behind the glass does look cheap, they should have put that pattern in the cladding. It does not make any sense to have concrete designs like that in the building, they are just blocking views. Look how many windows are now going to have no veiw per floor. That will be a huge throw off for businesses looking to occupy the tower.

The actual cladding looks to me likes a huge upgrade from the render, it truly looks so much more professional and business-like. Your idea of putting a fake concrete pattern into the cladding is what truly is tacky, just imagine how bad it will look? It's pretty hard to show "fake" concrete behind blue glass all in one layer, so the effect will end up looking 2D and cheap. Exactly the opposite of what the tower currently looks like, and I doubt how you envisioned your "improvements." I think the potential blocking of a small amount of windows by the bracing will be outweighed by the prestige a company will get when they occupy the most famous tower of Guangzhou, and face it, company management cares more about company prestige and reputation than a small group of employees that might complain about the bracing blocking light, despite the huge amounts of light that will be streaming in with the floor to ceiling glass.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #1523
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
??

And the concrete pattern behind the glass does look cheap, they should have put that pattern in the cladding. It does not make any sense to have concrete designs like that in the building, they are just blocking views. Look how many windows are now going to have no veiw per floor. That will be a huge throw off for businesses looking to occupy the tower.

wtf?
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #1524
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Don't feed the troll, guys.
Excuse me, I'm not a troll. Why is giving my opinion on the building a troll? The building does not look like the render, and the internal diagonal shaped concrete columns don't make any sense, those are facts. Why can't someone disagree with the group?
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #1525
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6225

^of course they make sense, they're structural, and earthquake proofing - basically all tall buildings in China must be not just quake proof, but typhoon/ flood proof for up to 4x a year plus a once in 1000 year superstorm. They've made the bracing into a genius feature imo, the perfect balance between subtle and stunning, and that strongly accentuates the smooth curves and breaks up yet compliments the verticality of the building shape. It looks like a smooth, sculpted pebble to me, and it would be lost without it.

To be honest I never liked the design from the renders, I thought it was too featureless for such a big supertall (no spire, no crown, no cladding, no stepbacks, and no dynamic sculptural form) - and would seem blank. The colour was lurid. The reality is a very welcome surprise.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 28th, 2009 at 05:25 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #1526
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
The actual cladding looks to me likes a huge upgrade from the render, it truly looks so much more professional and business-like. Your idea of putting a fake concrete pattern into the cladding is what truly is tacky, just imagine how bad it will look? It's pretty hard to show "fake" concrete behind blue glass all in one layer, so the effect will end up looking 2D and cheap. Exactly the opposite of what the tower currently looks like, and I doubt how you envisioned your "improvements." I think the potential blocking of a small amount of windows by the bracing will be outweighed by the prestige a company will get when they occupy the most famous tower of Guangzhou, and face it, company management cares more about company prestige and reputation than a small group of employees that might complain about the bracing blocking light, despite the huge amounts of light that will be streaming in with the floor to ceiling glass.
Well I'm just saying they could have done something more with the cladding if they wanted to do those kinds of diagonal shapes. Look at the CCTV building in Beijing. The diagonal squares there are in the cladding, which makes sense. And I do not agree with you that the current cladding is better than that of the rendering. The blue they are putting on looks ridiculous, they should have done something like the original. The mirror effect would have made a significantly larger impact on the skyline, and would have brightened up the city. Think something like the blue glass on Trump Tower Chicago. The way Trumpís cladding reflects light is astonishing: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3354/...a1542d8b_b.jpg

I donít think it looks more business like at all, I wouldnít want to work in this building. It's not the SWFC or the International Commerce Center in Hong Kong. Those are how you do supertalls with shiny glass, and those are both office buildings.

Last edited by Onn; February 28th, 2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #1527
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

The first pano pic on the previous page is so damn good, I am using it as my wallpaper now
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #1528
googleabcd

Likes (Received): 1

Shining glass != good cladding. I think the Trump’s cladding looks pretty cheap.
image hosted on flickr

The west tower's color is way more elegant.

Quote:
Well I'm just saying they could have done something more with the cladding if they wanted to do those kinds of diagonal shapes. Look at the CCTV building in Beijing. The diagonal squares there are in the cladding, which makes sense. And I do not agree with you that the current cladding is better than that of the rendering. The blue they are putting on looks ridiculous, they should have done something like the original. The mirror effect would have made a significantly larger impact on the skyline, and would have brightened up the city. Think something like the blue glass on Trump Tower Chicago. The way Trump’s cladding reflects light is astonishing: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3354/...a1542d8b_b.jpg

I don’t think it looks more business like at all, I wouldn’t want to work in this building. It's not the SWFC or the International Commerce Center in Hong Kong. Those are how you do supertalls with shiny glass, and those are both office buildings.
googleabcd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #1529
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleabcd View Post
I think the Trumpís cladding looks pretty cheap..
Everyone has their own opinions, I like the Trump cladding because it's so dynamic depending on the lighting.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #1530
googleabcd

Likes (Received): 1

We never saw any pic about the lighting of west tower,

I am curious how you can compare the Trump tower with lighting and the Wester tower without lighting? Do you think that makes sense?

Quote:
Everyone has their own opinions, I like the Trump cladding because it's so dynamic depending on the lighting.
googleabcd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1531
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleabcd View Post
We never saw any pic about the lighting of west tower,

I am curious how you can compare the Trump tower with lighting and the Wester tower without lighting? Do you think that makes sense?

It's not the same kind of glass, lighting or no lighting. The Trump's is like a mirror, the West Tower's is not. It's hard to compare the two. It's like comparing apples and oranges. If they were going to pick that kind of glass for the West Tower they at least should have picked a lighter shade of blue. The dark blue looks depressing.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #1532
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

lurid blue mirrored glass is so nineties darling... (not to mention cheap)

image hosted on flickr

gimme this anyday, moody, sleek gravitas

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 28th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #1533
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
light blue reflective glass is so nineties darling... :gay:

image hosted on flickr
Does the Trump Tower look 90s, I don't know?

In a general sense mirror cladding is somewhat 90s, yes. The SWFC cladding looks very 90s, for example. The sad thing about that building was that it was primarily designed in the 90s, but was built in the 2000s. It’s a great example of 90s architechture never the less. I admit shiny won't stay forever, but I think it would have fit well on this building. I don't see why the developers would have changed.

Last edited by Onn; February 28th, 2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #1534
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

yes, Trump does look a bit 90s in the renders

it reminded me of the CITIC Plaza in Guangzhou from 1997, or Rialto in Melbourne

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

thankfully the glass is not as mirrored as the visualisations, its nicely opaque:

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 28th, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #1535
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
yes, Trump did look a bit 90s in the renders
That's not the final building design for Trump, that was rejected.

Quote:
it reminded me weirdly of the CITIC Plaza in Guangzhou from 1997

thankfully the glass is not as mirrored as the visualisations, its nicely opaque:
Well they made a change for the better than, I agree the Trump's first impression rendering was a little 90s looking. The glass is not quite that mirrored, it’s more of a rough mirror effect. The trump is also round though, which is a big difference. If you put the Trump's glass flat side by side you would get a different effect.
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #1536
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

It's all the fad of the day. Stop arguing over something that will undoubltly look dated after 10 years.

The glass on the West tower looks fine. Stop comparing. Or is it your opinion to have all the buildings in the world looking exatly the same?
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1537
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Looking around the west tower, you will see that those buildings don't have the shiny/ mirror reflection finishes as well and therefore if the west tower had that shiny finish, then it would make the skyline look strange, something which might happen if they choose the proposed east tower design, unless they change the cladding to one similar to the west tower.
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #1538
ina555

Likes (Received): 40

Onn,what do you think of NY WTC that has been destroyed

the width of windows on this building is like the diameter of a man with obesity(from far look I would assume the building has no windows)

so I don't think some braces can even be a problem
ina555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #1539
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Excuse me, I'm not a troll. Why is giving my opinion on the building a troll? The building does not look like the render, and the internal diagonal shaped concrete columns don't make any sense, those are facts.
Listen, are you joking or do you really not grasp that these are STEEL TUBES? It's the third time you come up with the "concrete columns"... and since we're at it, I'd like to point out that not only do the tubes not "block the views", they're actually the most efficient external support, strongest with the least material used - i.e. they allow for the most light in.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1540
dom

Likes (Received): 9

This is an amazing develeopment.... went back to Guangzhou/Canton back in 2005... it is a historically legendary city with awesome food. And its great to see it putting itself back on the map in such a big yet elegant way!

Canton is very interesting historically.

I think the photos of the skyline are taken from the park on the hill whose name escapes me. Would like to go back when these ridiculously lanky towers are complete.... they look gargantuan!!!

Still if anyone on the forum have played the original Civilization on the PC they'll be aware that Canton is one of the BIG beasts along with Xi'an, Constantinople and Damascus at the start of the game.

Tags
guangzhou