daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM   #381
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

I think Guys proximity, will make LBT look even better. People will be gazing up at LBT rarther than saying, why on earth that was built. London's method of plumping fantastic (and different)buildings next to ugly monuments to early post war Britain. Its part of London's rich urban fabric.

Well thats my excuse for it

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM   #382
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

And a very good excuse it is too! But it still does not negate the fact that Guys Hospital is a stain on Londons skyline! Still, as you said, maybe LBT will dwraw all the attension away from it...who knows?

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #383
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

Guy's Hospiral is staying I'm afraid, and I doubt it will be reclad anytime soon. And anyway its ugliness will create a fantastic juxtapostion with LBT and push its beauty even further. It is London Bridge House which is being demolished and replaced with a low-rise, to give LBT even more soar and prominence on the skyline from Waterloo Bridge.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM   #384
timo
Weaste Infection

Likes (Received): 118

i'm sorry but anyone saying that guys hospital will IMPROVE how LBT looks needs their head checking
timo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM   #385
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

I agree in that it will make LBT look better perhaps but it's an anomaly on the skyline that should come down sooner rather than later. Sadly it's not going to happen.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM   #386
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo
i'm sorry but anyone saying that guys hospital will IMPROVE how LBT looks needs their head checking
These guys have a point though.

London has always been a city of 'contrasts' - that's part of what makes the city so interesting.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:11 PM   #387
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
Bloody fantastic renders there WjFox, if you keep it up I might have to marry you
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #388
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

HUGE new tower being planned for the site of 20 French furt street. This was originally posted by DMT 20 in the UK section.

"When I saw the artical in this weeks AJ for a new 45 storey tower in the City resembling the Ericsson Ericofon circa 1954 I had to double check it wasnt April Fools day. In fact, this was no joke and despite a notable lack of renderings, it seems the next tall proposal for the City will be no less adventurous than the others.

I wont retype the whole article but here are the main points:

Designed by Rafael Vinoly, the tower will replace the 91 metre CLRP designed tower at 20 Fenchurch Street built in 1968. The new landmark will resemble a "huge curved television facing the Thames" or the 1950s Ericsson phone design.

The proposals are set to go before corperation planners this summer.

Th scheme was threatened last year when the design ran 35% over budget. Since then Fosters director, John Shaw, has been brought on board and has helped bring the design back in to the black.

The developer for the scheme is Land Securities

The complex structure is synclastic, i.e. curves in two planes providing engineers with the unenviable task of making the building stand up.

The scheme has been designed to comply with the new Part-L regs that are being introduced in April.

According to sources working on the project the design is "deferential" to to the Tower of London and a near by listed church, helping to appease the Heritage bodies.

The scheme is thought to have recieved positive comments from CABE and (wait for it...!) English Heritage."

Current building, Thanks to Gothics site for the pic:

[IMG]When I saw the artical in this weeks AJ for a new 45 storey tower in the City resembling the Ericsson Ericofon circa 1954 I had to double check it wasnt April Fools day. In fact, this was no joke and despite a notable lack of renderings, it seems the next tall proposal for the City will be no less adventurous than the others.[/IMG]

And how the tower should look, pics done by Will:

This should be around the 200m mark, could be anything up to about 225m. This looks to be one of the most interesting proposals since DIFA was proposed last year.

Great news for London.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #389
wjfox
Futurist

And don't forget... that first rendering of mine doesn't even include the Beetham Tower (215m), Wilkinson Eyre Tower (176m) or Doon Street Tower (168m) in the foreground, plus the new cluster of midrises for Waterloo, and the reclad Kings Reach tower!
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #390
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Friggin fantastic news! Ironically I came onto this thread on an impulse to complain that there hasn't been news of a new big proposal in a while and I find this! Is there no stopping London's skyscraper boom? Let's hope not! I'm still not sure though what it means by "will resemble a 'huge curved television facing the Thames' or the 1950s Ericsson phone design" ....I'm just getting an image of a big television in London....I don't quite get the imagery I guess....and what did the 1950's Sony Ericsson phone look like? Has anyone got any pics of it?

The building it will be replacing- what is it being used for at the moment, why can it now be demolished, what do the occupants think, when are we going to hear any official news or renders??? So many questions!!

Great stuff though! I went onto skyscrapernews.com after reading about this new tower but they haven't got any news on it yet, too early I guess.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #391
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

btw, will this new tower be taller then Tower 42? I'm not sure of the height of that and I wanted to make a comparisson in my head, that's all.

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #392
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
And don't forget... that first rendering of mine doesn't even include the Beetham Tower (215m), Wilkinson Eyre Tower (176m) or Doon Street Tower (168m) in the foreground, plus the new cluster of midrises for Waterloo, and the reclad Kings Reach tower!
Sorry, I meant to include this in one of my earlier posts. I've never heard of these "Wilkinson Eyre Tower (176m) or Doon Street Tower (168m)", have you got any renders? I'm countin on you wjfox, else the wedding is off!

Old February 25th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #393
RugBurn

Likes (Received): 3

damn, the city is starting look good ( in theory) wink
RugBurn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #394
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
btw, will this new tower be taller then Tower 42?
Yes, almost certainly.

Tower 42 actually has 47 floors if you include the plant/aircon units on top - however, it's a rather old building, and was constructed before the "Big Bang" of the 1980s, so the floor-to-ceiling heights are relatively low. If you look at modern skyscrapers being proposed and built today in London, you can appreciate this.

e.g.
30 St Mary Axe = 40 storeys = 180m
8 Canada Square = 45 storeys = 200m
122 Leadenhall = 48 storeys = 225m
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #395
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
have you got any renders? I'm countin on you wjfox, else the wedding is off!

LMAO
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #396
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

While randomly searching for pictures of Canary Wharf, as it is in 2006, I came across this picture, it's obviously outdated, cus this is what it predicted CW to be like in 2006, but it is still a pretty cool image, and gives you a idea of what it could look like in years to come, even though most of the buildings there look different form the ones approved to go up.

Old February 28th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #397
weird
vagamundo

Looks good. Classic, but pretty.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM   #398
london_manchester
BANNED

i love the way the city is going to look it looks bloody lovely.
london_manchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM   #399
london_manchester
BANNED

[IMG]canary wharf[/IMG]
london_manchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:52 PM   #400
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Canary Wharf will looks definitely excellent if most of this will be build. Much better of City of London.