daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2006, 05:31 PM   #401
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

That is an old render, and there is NO WAY canary wharf will look better than the city anytime soon, unless everything proposed for the city is cancelled.

The cities main two towers, S/LB and Bishopsgate will be amazing, two of the best in europe and the Shard at least will have a very high rank in the best skyscrapers of the world, and sadly the height restrictions for canary wharf (around about 240m) prevent having anything as tall as the city. Canary wharf could be amazing if it had some really nice architecture, but it is mostly boxes. Granted they are to a very high standard but a box scraper is a box scraper. There are however the Riverside south twin development:

And Heron Quays west twin development:

Both will be tall and although they are quite boxy they look to be better than whats there at the moment, not that I don't like CW, I think it's great, but not as great as the city.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM   #402
weird
vagamundo

CW will be a pure financial district. In the other hand, the City will look like the combination of the traditional london and the modern architecture. I guess the city will be more impressive. Contrasts always been good. Btw, CW is too boxy.. City will have more diversity.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM   #403
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Canary Wharf looks like a corporate office park as it is, it has no life, no human feeling to it. The city has an organic feel.
pricemazda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM   #404
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
Canary Wharf will looks definitely excellent if most of this will be build. Much better than City of London.
I profoundly disagree.

The new buildings in the City will:
  • Be far more interesting and creative designs
  • Appear FAR more dramatic and daring on the skyline
  • Be significantly taller (I'm including the Shard, which is just opposite)
  • Include a centralized pinnacle, rather than being a flat "wall" of skyscrapers
  • Be mixed in with old historic landmarks and church spires, creating an amazing juxtaposition

In addition, they will be far more central and noticeable. More people and tourists are likely to see them and go "Wow!".

Canary Wharf is way over in East London.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:56 PM   #405
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6364

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
Canary Wharf looks like a corporate office park as it is, it has no life, no human feeling to it.
I disagree. The area is now buzzing with excitement every day of the week and in summer the place is rammed with people all over the dock edges.

I agree that the City is more organic at streetlevel but I have to say the public spaces and greens in Canary wharf are of a higher quality than the City's.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:58 PM   #406
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Canary wharf is so sanitised though, it feels like a corporate legoland.
pricemazda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:02 PM   #407
Remusable

Likes (Received): 3

Yo Jack Rabbit - nice render, although I was wondering - what's the tower to the left of Canada Square one..?

The problem with Canary Wharf IMO is that there isn't enough activity on street level compared to most cities. I know it's a financial district, but I almost feel out of place walking around in a pair of jeans in that area. They need to friendly the street level up a bit - maybe some more Starbucks..
Remusable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:27 AM   #408
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remusable
Yo Jack Rabbit - nice render, although I was wondering - what's the tower to the left of Canada Square one..?
Lol, it aint my render mate, I'm not good at that stuff, I mean, sure, I let WjFox use my renders so he can claim them as his own, but apart from that I'm not much of a digital artist!

I found that image as I said, while searching on Google, its a really old rendering from skyscrapernews.com, I mean that's what they said CW would be like in 2006...we're not really there yet

I assume of course that ure talkin bout this image, and I assume that's the building you are asking about:

I have no idea what it is, but like I said in my earlier post, this is an outdated image, and a lot of the towers shown arn't actually like the towers approved to go up; I think they just stuck in a few interesting looking skyscrapers to fill it up a bit. I only posted it cus it gives you a good idea of how CW might look in years to come, even if the buildings arn't exactly the same.

And as for this whole 'Canary Wharf is dull' business, well, I've said what I'm about to say a few times before cus I think it's relevant each time:
Both Canary Wharf and the City district have their own style and character when it come to building skyscrapers. CW is going for what some people term 'box' skyscrapers, in so far as they do not have curves or spirals or whatever. But lots, if not all of the greatest skyscraper cities have box-type skyscrapers, and they look no less stunning. The great things about the skyscrapers at CW is that they arn't just plain boxes, for instance 1 Canada Sq has the pyramid on top, giving it a beautiful and powerul look, the Citigroup tower has an inlaying design near the top of the tower, and the HSBC has curved sides; but the main thing all the buildings have is a great cladding and facade that gives a modern, stylish look to the whole area.

CW is going for density more then original designs, and London could do with a dense skyscraper area, and CW, even though not all of its buildings are loved by everyone, is still starting to look fantastic in a cluster with the water around it. Plus, if you look at most of the proposed skyscrapers to go up at CW, they do have pretty classy and interesting designs that will add some flare and variation to the area.

Whereas the City area is going for more unique skyscraper designs, in fact, if you look at every one of the built, approved or proposed skyscrapers, every single one of them is high quality and dynamic, especially Bishopsgate tower and LBT. The density isnt quite there, becasue the buildings are spread out more and are not in a tight formation like CW or New York, plus there isn't a lot of room to build new skyscrapers there. But it does have the quality and is surrounded by lots of great low/mid-rise buildings.

So you have the best of both worlds really: if you like a dense, clinical, efficient, modern looking skyline, then CW is for you, but if you happen to prefer more character and uniqueness in design, with a bit of ultra modern mixed with a bit of old-skool, then the City district is for you!

I recently found a decent image of present day Canary Wharf...at least, I think its relatively present day...anyway, looks nice:

Imagine what London is gonna look like in 10 or 20 years, with all these skyscrapers going up in different clusters, with plenty more proposals in years to come. The future looks brighter then an electric lightbulb from inside Albert Einstein's brain!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:54 PM   #409
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

The building with the red arrow pointing at is is North Quay One.

The render was made before we knew what North Quay looked like.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #410
DarJoLe

It was based on that really tall one in Hong Kong, which was by the same architect.

Suffice to say when we saw the real rendering of North Quay we were all rather disappointed.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:18 PM   #411
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

I keep getting mixed up with all these different Quays and Wharfs, remind me again what North Quay actually looks like?

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM   #412
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

doh!
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #413
Bob

Canary Wharf is very busy these days at street level and in the malls underground, during the day, evening and weekend.

The only project I am really looking forward to though is Riverside South. Wood Wharf, North Quay and the remainder at Churchill Place are impossibly dull. We need another scraper of the quality of 1CS or HSBC - boxy yes, but quality all the same.

Oh and the Crossrail station could be excellent too. Lots of 'ifs' and long term that though.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM   #414
Bob

north quay

crossrail station

Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM   #415
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

err... I know this sounds stupid, but I don't quite get what is going on in those images....what is this crossrail station? It's the first I've heard of it... I'm assuming that that rectangular, wooden topped thing on the water is the entrance to some sort of underground rail system... and why is the building in the left background under construction in the first pic, and completed in the second pic...what is that building anyway...is it already complete? So many questions....

Oh yeah, and on one of the London threads, someone-I think it was WjFox-said that the Pan Peninsula Tower (Milharbour) is currently under construction at Canary Wharf...I haven't seen any pictures of this...does anyone have any???

Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM   #416
ENRIQUE
Enrique

Likes (Received): 0

Great for London !!!!
Last time I went to, I missed skyscrapers a lot.
Next time, I think I will not.
ENRIQUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:41 AM   #417
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
err... I know this sounds stupid, but I don't quite get what is going on in those images....what is this crossrail station? It's the first I've heard of it... I'm assuming that that rectangular, wooden topped thing on the water is the entrance to some sort of underground rail system...
Crossrail is a new train line for london that travels from the suburbs thought Central London and out the other side. Similar to the RER in Paris, it will have a central tunnel running through central London taking trains rather than tube trains - www.crossrail.co.uk

Quote:
and why is the building in the left background under construction in the first pic, and completed in the second pic...what is that building anyway...is it already complete?
It's One Churchill Place, the Barclays Bank HQ. It is now completed.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and on one of the London threads, someone-I think it was WjFox-said that the Pan Peninsula Tower (Milharbour) is currently under construction at Canary Wharf...I haven't seen any pictures of this...does anyone have any???
They're still doing the foundations, the core is due to rise in summer sometime.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:22 AM   #418
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 3

As far as I was aware, wasn't North Quay getting re-designed? I thought that was just a massing render or something like that? I think Riverside South has a lot of potential so long as they spend a bit of money on it.
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:25 PM   #419
DarJoLe

North Quay got sent back for a redesign by the Mayor, as basically now Canary Wharf is no longer an enterprise zone it's architecture can be criticized as it now has to go through the planning process like everyone else. I don't expect a major change though, this is the last major site for two tall towers that Canary Wharf own, so I expect they'll give a wad of cash to the local community if they can build something massive.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM   #420
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Official news on that replacement skyscraper for 20 Fenchurch Street:
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=551

03 Mar 2006 > 20 Fenchurch Street Set For Knackers Yard

One of the sixties mid-rise towers in the City of London, 20 Fenchurch Street, could be set for the knackers yard with the announcement that the architect Rafael Vinoly is working on a replacement building for it.
At 45 floors of grade A office space it should come in at around 200 metres and make a substantial difference to the City of London skyline, particularly when viewed from Waterloo extending the cluster to the right of the viewer or Bankside where it would appear most prominent.
Vinoly has been trying to drum up support for a while with opposition coming from the usual quarters of the heritage lobby worried about views of and from the Tower of London.
Further complicating matters were the costs that the design has been running up since then with it going 35% over budget at one point and becoming almost untenably expensive to build.
Disturbed at this the developers called in John Shaw of Foster and Partners to get a ratchet down on the costs whilst still keeping the overall design quality up.
Those who have seen the design have compared it to both a television and a 1950s Ericsson phone leading to much confusion over the true shape.
The current tower on the site is 91 metres, occupied by Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein and owned by Land Securities who purchased it from DRKW in 2004 for an unspecified sum.
Much sympathy goes to Churchill Securities who had the foresight of commissioning Wilkinson Eyre to design a nearby tower at 168 Fenchurch Street in 2000 back in the days when tall buildings were still really controversial. Sadly for them they didn't own the site but still full marks for the vision.
The full design for the new 20 Fenchurch Street tower should be out later in 2006.

I'm still totally confused about what this new tower will look like, I mean 'both a television and a 1950s Ericsson phone'.....what kinda imagery is that eh???? I just get an image of a big bulky television set...and I don't even know what the 1950's Ericsson phone looks like....does anyone have any pictures of it??

But that is a prime place for a skyscraper, as the article, and wjfox's earlier renderings show, it should add more width to the developing skyline. I just hope its a good design!!