daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM   #421
Medo

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
err... I know this sounds stupid, but I don't quite get what is going on in those images....what is this crossrail station? It's the first I've heard of it... I'm assuming that that rectangular, wooden topped thing on the water is the entrance to some sort of underground rail system... and why is the building in the left background under construction in the first pic, and completed in the second pic...what is that building anyway...is it already complete? So many questions....

Oh yeah, and on one of the London threads, someone-I think it was WjFox-said that the Pan Peninsula Tower (Milharbour) is currently under construction at Canary Wharf...I haven't seen any pictures of this...does anyone have any???

I think it is time you started visiting the UK & Ireland forums, all your questions will be answered and much more
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:52 PM   #422
Medo

Likes (Received): 522

Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #423
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

AAAAArrrrrrrghgggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That thing scared the life out of me. ITS HIDEOUS. Surely they don't think this is ever in a million years and a month of sundays ever going to get permission. That would be the worst thing ever to happen to London since Jade Goody was let out of the Big Brother house.

It makes me want to puck.
pricemazda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM   #424
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6364

It's just wrong on so many levels.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:17 PM   #425
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Is this the opening gambit. The developers want to do something tall and they are guessing English Heritage would object to it on principle, so they have come up with this clearly bizarre blot on the landscape to take the hit, and then they come up with something tall and sleek and slender.?

I mean unless they are insane, thats the only credible explanation ive got.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM   #426
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6313

Man, I have to keep reposting things from one London thread to another, here we go again:

Skyscrapernews.com has again updated the information on this tower, including a new rendering:

03 Mar 2006 > Vinoly Tower Proposed For 20 Fenchurch Street

A planning application has been filed today for the new tower to stand on 20 Fenchurch Street designed by Rafael Vinoly. The 192 metre tall tower to replace a current sixties mid-rise will contain 45 floors of space and is being developed by Land Securities.
The appearance is roughly that of a traditional internationalist block that has been contracted to the centre creating an inwards curving southern face and curving crown that also slopes to the south deferring itself to the Thames. Thanks to the look it's already being dubbed "the walkie talkie".
The project is being developed by one of the U.Ks largest property businesses, Land Securities at a cost of £200 million with Foster and Partners also onboard to help keep these down whilst maintaining build quality and the unique design.
The building has already been endorsed by local council, the Corporation of London, with Peter Rees stating that the City is adopting a "fruit basket" approach, whilst there are few murmurs of opposition from Heritage Bodies. It may not be the most graceful building ever thanks to the apparent squatness but the unique design will certainly help the City achieve their aim of a mix of avant-garde architecture.
Land Securities hope to secure an easy ride through the planning system and construction could begin on site as early as 2007 with completion for 2010 although a pre-let may be required to see the project commence despite the increasingly bullish attitude from the likes of Heron and British Land.

I can't say I really like the design at all, it may grow on me over time, but I doubt it. To be very honest with you, I could have designed a much better looking tower then that given 5 hours and a pen+paper! Still, it may get revisions, you never know!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM   #427
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

For the first time...ever...I think...I actually hope these English heritage dudes object stongly enough about this tower that it wll get changed drastically. I don't want it cancelled, cus after all, a 192m skyscraper near the main cluster to give the skyline width is a very good thing, but what they do have to do is come up witha quality design!!! I mean, come on, how long have they beeb working on that design..eh?...a few months...a year...and that is the best they could come up with...? And how does that even remotely look like a t.v or a 1950's Ericsson phone..?

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM   #428
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

And we need less glass and steel, if that design gets approved London's skyline is starting to look like a broken window pane. We need some boring filler blocks. Not every tower can be 'ground breaking'.

Lets not over design things.

I can't believe i actually want English Heritage to fight this.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #429
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

The bigger render in the newspaper clip looks like a version of the UN building that got punched in and still standing, with vertical ribs on each side of it.
brunob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #430
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6364

English Heritage and the Corporation of London have given it their full backing. It's only up to CABE and the Mayor now to decide.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:02 PM   #431
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

What happened to imposing views into the WORLD HERITAGE SITE at the Tower of London. This thing looks like something from HG Wells War of the Worlds.

Oooohhlllaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM   #432
easysurfer

Likes (Received): 0

I'd like to see a massive classical style building, or maybe even a gigantic gothic cathedral/skyscraper. I like sleek modern buildings but designs like this are too misplaced in London's skyline; far too wacky. All this glass and steel is nice to a certain extent but what about some classy traditional stone used on a well-designed facade? We need more variety, using traditional materials for some bulidngs as well.

Last edited by easysurfer; March 4th, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
easysurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:06 PM   #433
weird
vagamundo

I don't like so much..
Pray for revisions
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:53 PM   #434
JacobRit
Nacho Libre

Likes (Received): 1

is it just me, or is anyone else getting sick of the stupid names the media pin on London highrises?
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM   #435
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
I'd like to see a massive classical style building, or maybe even a gigantic gothic cathedral/skyscraper. I like sleek modern buildings but designs like this are too misplaced in London's skyline; far too wacky. All this class and steel is nice to a certain extent but what about some classy traditional stone used on a well-designed facade? We need more variety, using traditional materials for some bulidngs as well.
Yer, I agree with ya man, I'd like to see something classy, dramatic, maybe gothic but modern built in London; something powerful that doesn't over emphasise the use of glass and steel.

I'm afraid the days of stone skyscrapers are pretty much over! Do you have any idea how expesive and inefficient it is these days to construct massive skyscrapers from high quality stone?? It is a heck of a lot cheaper, quicker and more efficient to just lay massive steel girders and concrete that outline the shape, adding wood and plastic and other materials here and there, then fill in the facade with glass. So no-one in their right minds, unless they have an extremely obscene amount of money, is going to demand a skyscraper be constructed from stone like they did in the good ol days. It's sad though, cus there are too many dam glass boxes everywhere these days; stone adds character and a kind of earthliness to a skyscraper that steel and glass just can't replicate!

I found a rendering of what skyscrapernews.com calls a 'Vision' project. It isn't exactly made of stone, but it has an impressively gothic, yet modern and powerful look to it that would have addded more flare to the Canary Wharf area, if it was going to be built. It was proposed back in 1989 as a main building for the development of CW, unfortunately it never took off, and the company that would have occupied it is now spread out into other buildins. Still a nice image though:

Certainly a heck of a lot better looking then that blooy replacement Fenchurch tower!

Old March 4th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #436
Skabbymuff
Living in the past SUCKS

Likes (Received): 25

hi all, been a while since ive been using this forum, but im back, and one of the things that stirred me to this was this most hideous design! im almost tempted to believe that its a plot thought up by EH to allow such a blatant monstrosity to grace Londons skyline, so that in the future, they can say " we told u so about skyscrapers ", blah blah. and use this nasty beast as the ultimate ammunition against any further projects. but maybe thats just me. i HATE this design, it sucks.

Last edited by Skabbymuff; March 4th, 2006 at 04:07 AM.
Skabbymuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #437
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Posted by Jef:

I can confirm it is rumoured in the property industry that a large pre-let about to sign on the office space of the Shard / London Bridge will kick start construction.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #438
weird
vagamundo

You're posting the same in this thread and in "Yet another skyscraper..." thread. Why don't you link them? It's ridiculous to have two equal threads open.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #439
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Well, that's just how it's turning out at the moment. This thread is about every future London project, and what its skyline might look like by 2012, whereas that other thread is specifically for discussing the newly proposed skyscraper...although both threads do seem to be mirroring each other at the mo!

Old March 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #440
timo
Weaste Infection

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird
You're posting the same in this thread and in "Yet another skyscraper..." thread. Why don't you link them? It's ridiculous to have two equal threads open.
its because "newcastle kid" is what us english like to refer to as a "gimp"
timo no está en línea   Reply With Quote