daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2005, 04:01 AM   #81
london-b
βAŇŇĘ

Likes (Received): 1345

I shouldn't say it but that is a seriously idiotic thing to say.
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #82
mrtocsin

Likes (Received): 0

Jealous of what? London is a gawd awful Skyscraper city and seeing the posts in the world forum from London lovers just makes me laugh. The city doesn't need skyscrapers.

Birmingham, Manchester need them badly because on a world wide scale those cities rate about 0.1, London rates 97.5, so why are so many people in this room preoccupied with making London a clone of Manhattan?
mrtocsin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #83
london-b
βAŇŇĘ

Even if all are built London won't look anything like Manhattan, and nor should it be.
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #84
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

I was about to post my updated rendering which includes all the proposed Canary Wharf towers... but I think I'll hold off for a while until mrtocsin has gone away.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #85
gunners

how is london becoming a clone of manhatten???? last time i looked most of manhattens tall buildings were made of brick with steel skeletons. london (just like manhatten and the rest of the world) is stamping its own unique identity in the world of high rise developments, when completed imo london will hae one of the best looking skylines in the world.

and another thing, most of the listed building in london have restriction orders on them like st pauls cathedral, this means that no building can obscure the view of it, so imo i feel that designers are creating wonderful building most of the time with the limited space available.
gunners no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #86
london-b
βAŇŇĘ

Good idea, where do these people come from
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #87
gunners

obviously somewhere where civilised convosations havet arrived yet!
gunners no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #88
wjfox
Futurist

Here's my updated rendering which includes all the Canary Wharf towers - from left to right they are North Quay, Columbus Tower, Heron Quays West, Riverside South, Pan Peninsula and Crossharbour. This is the first rendering I've ever done that includes BOTH the Canary Wharf and City of London clusters in one view. As I said earlier, London Bridge Tower would appear just off the right edge of the image. And thanks to Jonny 5 who drew the diagrams for Broadgate and Heron which I used here (sorry mate for nicking your work...).

Old December 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #89
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

OMG!!
Thats just perfect!!

But isnt the columbus as good as dead?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #90
Mr Bricks

The problem with London though, is that there are hundreds of proposed and approved buildings but nothing ever gets built..

All im saying is that if London wants to have that skyline by 2012 it has to turn into dubai very soon and actually start building these towers
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #91
eklips

Likes (Received): 5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
Here's my updated rendering which includes all the Canary Wharf towers - from left to right they are North Quay, Columbus Tower, Heron Quays West, Riverside South, Pan Peninsula and Crossharbour. This is the first rendering I've ever done that includes BOTH the Canary Wharf and City of London clusters in one view. As I said earlier, London Bridge Tower would appear just off the right edge of the image. And thanks to Jonny 5 who drew the diagrams for Broadgate and Heron which I used here (sorry mate for icking your work...).

So London will have two "big" clusters, the city and CW, both being very different from each others, Canary warf having the quantity and density while the city having fewer building, but those being higher and more advanced architecturaly.
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #92
Mr Bricks

I must say i doubt London will ever look like that
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #93
Mr Bricks

Both Moscow, Isanbul, Rotterdam and Warsaw builds quicker than London. Moscow has got over 20 towers u/c ( four of them over 300m) and London has got 4 towers u/c which of the tallest is 164m...
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #94
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

^6 or 7 to be correctly, not four
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #95
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Umm, yeah Moscow only currently has 3 towers over 300m U/C:
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=24236

And it seems to have less proposed than London too:
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities...ID=14&type=all
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #96
Newcastle Guy

By the way that is a great render Will, i didnt know CW was going to be that dense!
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #97
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika
The problem with London though, is that there are hundreds of proposed and approved buildings but nothing ever gets built..

All im saying is that if London wants to have that skyline by 2012 it has to turn into dubai very soon and actually start building these towers
Most of the tower are due to begin 07/08 Suomi, mostly because of stuff like tennants being bastards and not moving out until their full lease expires, so the current buildings cannot yet be demolished.

The lease on Southwark towers runs out mid 2006, and their has been recent talk of them starting to move out, and they are apparently looking for new office buildings to get their people to. Once all this done in autumn time southwark towers will be demolished, and the Shard can start to rise about 9 months later.

Also watch out for st Georges wharf, it is 180m and is due to start very soon. It is going to be the start of a new cluster of buildings around the 180m mark.
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #98
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6364

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtocsin
The city doesn't need skyscrapers.

Birmingham, Manchester need them badly because on a world wide scale those cities rate about 0.1, London rates 97.5, so why are so many people in this room preoccupied with making London a clone of Manhattan?
The number of skyscrapers doesn't equate with a world wide scale with cities. I think you seem to be confused as to why London is building these towers - not to resolve some kind of issue like Dubai is trying to attract attention and push it up in the skyscraper league - it is building them because tenants are asking for them. Office space demand in London is set to go through the roof in the next couple of years, and the only way London can continue sustained growth in this area is to build upwards. We have no more space to build out.

There have already been studies down this year saying developers need to take a risk in 2006 and start building - Cardinal Place in Victoria did just that a few years back, and is now the only new large office build in the SW area, meaning it is raking it in. The City has fallen back, and I would say the next 12 months will see a few more signatures on the final dotted lines and a few more cranes appearing on the skyline.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #99
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika

"Nothing ever gets built"?

Erm... London has already built 7 new skyscrapers in the last 5 years.

Broadgate Tower (164m) has now started construction. So has the Pan Peninsula Tower (147m).

Others will start in the next 12-18 months as DarJoLe has explained.

And Columbus isn't "dead", it's just on hold for the time being.
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #100
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtocsin
Why is this thread still going, London will not get anything like the towers you lot are having wet dreams over. You all put pictures up of skylines, proposals etc etc, face it London is a flat city and it will always be that way. Just enjoy the city for what it is and stop dreaming of turning it into Manhattan cos it ain't going to happen.
Please, go away. Your petty insults are not annoying anyone, you are just making yourself look like an uneducated, jealous fool.