daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Saudi Arabia > Saudi Arabia forums > General Construction | مشاريع وإنشاءات > Mecca

Old October 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #1
vc15nets

Likes (Received): 61

MECCA l U/C l Jabal Omar Project l 37 Towers

Seven 35-storey apartment towers
Two 50-storey hotel towers
Four 15-storey hotel blocks
4 storeys Retail concourse

The proposed development at Jabal Omar uses the mountain crest to define the site into 2 parts, one facing al-Haram and the other sloping away from al-Haram. The parts of the development facing al-Haram contains the concourse and pedestrian links to al-Haram. Hotel and apartment towers are situated over the mountain crest, limited by our new “rim” height for maximum views. The Western side of the development is for car parking and vehicular access.

Drawing courtesy T.R. Hamzah & Yeang Sdn Bhd

The Haram is surrounded by five mountains that forms an existing “rim” to the Al-Haram area. Our urban design strategy is to build the inevitable high-rises fixed by a height-limit that will create a new “protective rim” around al-Haram. This will avoid a rampant disorganized skyline around the holy area. A new benchmark building height is thus derived from the average height of the five mountains (450 meter) as the new height limit for future development of the sites surrounding al-Haram. Only one or two exceptional towers at preselected locations may exceed this height limit to give some diversity to the skyline resembling the minarets of the traditional mosque.

The towers have single rooms or apartments that are shaped for maximum facade area with views towards al-Haram, using a number of tower topologies (i.e. the ‘A’, ‘V’, ‘H’, ‘M’ and composite shapes).

The concourse, a central promenade, at level 2 acts as a “collector” to collect pilgrims from all the towers, who are directed to the 2 “chutes” to al-Haram. A combination of elevators, escalators, travelators and pedestrian routes is used for reducing the travel time. Travel time analyses have been studied to verify the time needed to reach the Haram from the rooms of each tower. Alternative prayer zones are also provided. The hotel towers have ramps within the central atrium that connects to prayer rooms located at every 5 floors. A prayer terrace on the roof of the concourse offers an alternative prayer zone: a public, open area shaded by buildings and palms planted around it with a view to al-Haram.

Tower built forms with single-loaded rooms or apartments are shaped for maximum facade area with views towards al-Haram, using a number of tower topologies (i.e. the ‘A’, ‘V’, ‘H’, ‘M’ and composite shapes).

As a passive low-energy air-conditioning design, “evaporative cooling shafts” are located within the towers to provide cool air to the circulation spaces and to supplement the air conditioning of the rooms and to the green gardens below.

Photo courtesy T.R. Hamzah & Yeang Sdn Bhd

A green park environment is created for pilgrims, by landscaping of the car parking block roofs and the concourse roof. These are connected via landscaped bridges. The water supply for greening of the development comes from the recycled “gray” water of the development. The concept seeks to create a balanced “ecosystem” on the site of both organic and inorganic aspects of the ecological environment. At its simplistic level of sustainable design, the landscaping over the roofs literally provides a “green” scheme. By covering the parking areas with earth and greenery the parking can be excluded from the plot ratio calculation; thereby increasing the Developer’s permitted commercial area.

Areas:
Gross 878,880 square meters
Net: 565,650 square meters
Prayer Terraces and landscaped gardens: 94,000 square meters
Parking: 309,000 square feet
Site Area: 232,000 square meters

Dates: Start of construction 2001

[IMG]http://www.*************/architects/hamzah_yeang/jabalomar/1.-JabalOmar.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.*************/architects/hamzah_yeang/jabalomar/2.Master-Plan.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.*************/architects/hamzah_yeang/jabalomar/3.JabalOmar.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.*************/architects/hamzah_yeang/jabalomar/4.-JabalOmar.jpg[/IMG]
vc15nets no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 7th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #2
vc15nets

Some pics from www.jabalomar.com

And the current state of the area

Old October 7th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #3
vc15nets

Visit the following website for many more renderings:

http://www.trhamzahyeang.com/project...s/jabal01.html

I'm having trouble posting them
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #4
vc15nets

Here are a few more renderings:

According to a website, this project will be completed by 2010
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 4

more pictures fromT.R.hamzah yeang site

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #6
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 284

Does anyone know when it will finish?
smussuw está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #7
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15nets
Here are a few more renderings:

According to a website, this project will be completed by 2010
smussuw,the answer for you question

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #8
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

lol, ty

didnt see that
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #9
michal1982
Condom User

Likes (Received): 1

WOOW THAT IS AMAIZING ANY FOTO UPDATE FROM COSTRUTION???
michal1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #10
shaz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

looks amazing!
shaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #11
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

i never expected this to be so close to the mosque
thought that 485m monster and its complex is the only one
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #12
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 3

#PROJECT-Mecca: Jabal Omar Project

Jabal Omar Development Project

The Jabal Omar project involves the construction of two five-star hotels with 935 rooms, and six three-star hotels consisting of 1,255 rooms, over an area of 244,800 sq m. It also includes the construction of 20-storey residential buildings to accommodate 100,000 people, 4,360 commercial and retail units and 520 restaurants.
The project, located close to the Grand Mosque, will also include a car-parking facility for more than 10,000 vehicles, covered air-conditioned plazas for 100,000 worshippers and open courtyards for 120,000 persons, according to reports.

The project, which entails a total built-up area of 1.2 million sq m, has been assigned to the Makkah Construction and Development Company (MC&DC).
Other features of the project include well-laid-out roads, open areas, gardens, fire and police stations, schools, medical centres and public toilets for men and women.
In tandem with these developments, the road infrastructure is being expanded. A new road scheme known as Western Gate Project ' which was recently given the go-ahead ' will be built parallel to the Umm Al-Qura Road, which is heavily congested during the pilgrimage seasons. The Umm AlQura Road is currently the main arterial link to the Grand Mosque in Makkah.

Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #13
Rkhan

Likes (Received): 1489

i dont really understand this. i'm pretty sure in a few years time, there will be a need to expand kabah and all these buildings are RIGHT around it. at that time what will they do? demolish these buildings and expand the mosque? i seriously think that this is waste of money in some way. the government should take these kind of things into consideration.
the project is huge and really impressive. and i seriously think that some of the land that the realtors have bought should have been bought by the government for the expansion of the mosque.

but this project is impressive. quite huge.
Rkhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #14
Skyline-BRN
SUPER M0DERAT0R

Likes (Received): 0

this project seems like it is going to involve alot of demolishion
Skyline-BRN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #15
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 1

Wasn't this supposed to be u/c since two years?

It's huge nevertheless.
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #16
Rkhan

it is underconstruction i think.
Old December 29th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 1000

^ i dont think so
there some problem with people who own his ground or he disgree to buy his hous to goverment............some people make me crize why they think about themself
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #18
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

^ the buildings are outdated so I dont know why they complain

giving them apartments in this project would be a good idea or perhaps distributing shares according the size of their property
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #19
Rkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudi guy
^ i dont think so
there some problem with people who own his ground or he disgree to buy his hous to goverment............some people make me crize why they think about themself
are you referring to me there? cuz if you read my post i said i "think" its under contruction and that came after looking at one of makkah pics where beside the mosque there's huge digging in the process.
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #20
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 10

No guys When the Haram gets expanded they are likely to build floors in areas that don't have it right now. and are likely to add floors around the exiting Haram. Before they need to worry about apartments surrounding it.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote