daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM   #141
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

The Cube and One Business Bay IMO are more impressive than the Burj Dubai.

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #142
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

New WTC Residence starts springing up on Dubai’s real estate gold mine

Excavation work is now complete but dewatering continues on the most expensive real estate plot in the city
After a controlled explosion reduced Dubai’s World Trade Centre (WTC) Hotel to a pile of rubble in April last year, the WTC Residence development has begun to take shape on the site of the former hotel.

And now the process of constructing the new hotel is underway: “The bulk of the excavation and all the conversion works in terms of the piling are now complete.

“We’re putting in the lining at the moment and the first stage of reinforcing will be the raft slab,” says Woutersen.

The WTC Residence will incorporate two towers, featuring
a total of 377 luxury apartments built alongside the World
Trade Centre. One of the towers will be 40 storeys; the other will be 30 storeys. And the overall footprint of the building will be approximately 9000 m². The towers will be configured in an L-shape abutting one another, with an overall date for completion scheduled for the end of 2007.

Most of the tenders for the project have now been awarded, with the superstructure contract being given to DCC (Dubai Contracting Company).

“We purposely selected a superstructure contractor on the basis that we want to have, as near as possible, a problem-free construction period,” explains Woutersen. “DCC is not
a main contractor — they will purely do the superstructure works. We’ve linked a couple of sub-contractors in with them.”

He says that one of the reasons for this was to do with the tendering process: “If you go the construction management route, you get tighter control of the prequalification, tendering and selection process by breaking the project down into discrete packages.

“If you go the main contractor route, you lose significant control of the tendering process i.e. you cannot influence the selection of sub-contract packages.”

Other contractors on the project include Swissboring, which was responsible for the (now complete) piling works; Al Abbar for the cladding; Bilt for the MEP works; and ETA Melco for the lifts. Tenders that are still to be awarded include the finishing and landscaping works.

“So far everything is on schedule,” says Woutersen. “We’ve only just started off with the raft construction.”

Once the main construction works get underway, the turnaround time for floor construction is likely to vary. “On the upper floors we’ll be looking at around five days per floor, and on average we’re looking at around one week per floor,” he says.

The building will comprise two lift shafts — one in each of the towers — with a service lift going down into the parking area. Dewatering will enable the excavation of two basements, which will provide the parking area.

This has been an important aspect of the project so far: “As we’re going down to a fair depth (-9 m is the deepest point for the lift shaft) extensive dewatering had to be carried out,” explains Woutersen.

Dewatering wells were installed beyond the shoring wall and are still pumping to temporarily lower the water table.

“We’re still dewatering at the moment and will continue to do so until we reach the third floor, then we can switch it off and we’ll let the water table rise again.”

While a growing number of the region’s construction projects are turning to precast concrete solutions to help reduce installation times and improve strength and load bearing capacity, the WTC appears to be bucking the trend with the entire structure being be cast in situ.

The reason for this, according to Woutersen, is the design of the building: “We could have used some sections in precast, but the biggest problem you have when using precast is coming back to things like MEP and redesigning openings etc.

“We don’t have a lot of sheer walls within the building; it’s a very economical design and one that doesn’t allow for us to go in and remove elements from it,” adds Woutersen.

“It would also have meant re-submiting to Dubai Municipality to get the permits sorted, and at the end of the day it didn’t appear worthwhile. It was designed as an economical ‘cast in situ structure’ and the decision was made to leave it as such.”
Arabian Mix is currently providing concrete, which is grade 40 and 5800 psi.

While the construction process is currently going smoothly, the contractors on site are prepared for potential problems with the future supply of materials.

“No construction project here in Dubai is easy, purely because of the speed things that are happening,” he says.

Location could also prove to be tricky as time progresses: “Getting materials to site will become harder, especially with the redevelopment of the World Trade Centre and extension of the exhibition halls. This means we will have almost zero space — almost the area of just the footprint to work with.”

Given the ambitious development plans for the immediate area surrounding the World Trade Centre, it looks as if the WTC Residence project may have to fight for construction space in what is fast becoming a congested part of the city.

Last edited by Darth Shemp; January 23rd, 2006 at 08:39 AM.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #143
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
The Cube and One Business Bay IMO are more impressive than the Burj Dubai.
Sure, I mean it's always a design that comes first while height is just a bonus. For example my favourite Dubai tower is the Al Manara in business bay.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM   #144
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

there will surely be many more highrise towers in this project than these masterplan renders suggest

anyway, i guess this is everyone's favorite major project
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #145
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

New good quality tower in business bay:

Fortune Bay 30F

Old January 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #146
huit

Likes (Received): 183

That is one cool tower! Wow
huit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #147
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

That's an awesome building.
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #148
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

The cube looks pretty cool. And those magazine clippings look neat as well.

Also thanks for the progression updates for Burj Dubai Malec.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #149
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

OK, a new render for Jumeirah Business Centre 2 in JLT

[img]http://i1.************/ml5752.jpg[/img]

Now for the new stuff. I'm not sure but I think there are property exhibitions going on in Dubai at the moment and so, expect a lot of new buildings in the next few days:

Dream Tower 1: ?F

[img]http://i1.************/ml57ig.jpg[/img]

Grosvenor Business Tower ?F

Connection Tower 30F in Dubailand

Persus Spa Hotel at The World.

Expect something at business bay and we might even finally get info on a 101-storey tower to be built by the same company doing the business bay one I posted yesterday
Aswell, within the next 2 weeks we also might finally get renders of a 320m high 4-seasons hotel to be built in festival city. This tower is all building and no spire apparently so no cheating here

Last edited by malec; January 26th, 2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #150
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Check your urls malec.

also we expect new information for a Fortune 101 Tower 101F that we know of for half a year already.

and there is the home owners exhibition which should bring a few new launches.

also we have some new hotels for palm jumeirah and the world announced/approved these days.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #151
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Also some random proposal I found off the net. Seems to have about 80F so definitely over 300m (floor to ceiling heights are more than usual in Dubai)

Old January 27th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #152
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Dubai Marina Plot Map

To give you an impression:

dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #153
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Great job once again flo!

Just wondering, right now there are about 4 unknown towers under construction on Sheikh Zayed Road. Does this happen in any other part of the world?

What I mean is, does a tower ever start construction before the general public is made aware of it?
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #154
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

holy crap there is alot going on there, i should buy some stock in steal and concrete... this is insanity... i wonder what will happen after all the weight of these <what 2oo buildings> settles on that lovely sand you have there
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #155
Krazy
Kool Kat

a part of JBR and DM from JLT's construction site

Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #156
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2435

OWW MYYYY ALLAH !
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #157
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 83

allahuakbar.. go dubai goo..
pedang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #158
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

A lot of towers nearing completion in the marina. All those that you see there should be finished by the end of the year.

Anyway, here's Vision Tower for business bay. It's around 60 floors high and should be about 260m or so. Doubt it'll hit 300. Looks great!

And now the grand lobby:

and the render:

Old January 28th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #159
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

^ Awesome tower. Kind of Reminds me of the AIG building in Hong Kong.

Buiness Bay is having lots of stunning towers annouced, lets hope it continues. (Especially with those 8 auctioned plots ).
crazyevildude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #160
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2718

BTW
is there a END of that boom

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017