daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Thrissur

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #1501
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by navjot View Post
THIS IS A TOUGHER OPTION AS THE LINE HAS TO PASS THROUGH HIGH ALTITUDES AND THICK FORESTS
Yes when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.
Engineering Miracles would happen if only tasks with risk are taken.

Why did the GoM invest INR.170 Million to construct a bridge to connect different parts of the City? It was a tough and difficult task, which took years to materialise. I think, the idea was incubated in the 60s.

I agree that there is neither high altitude nor thick forests. But there were / are factors like: deep sea, busy port, fishermen's livelihood.

Still, it saves time, money etc.

Also this Engineering Miracle would attract Tourists.

So it is sure that one day, the railway line across the Azhutha forests would attract tourists all over the globe.

Sponsored Links

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #1502
pck404

Likes (Received): 0

Vettilapara Brigde - Save distance to Athirappally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewan View Post
Hi friends,

A trip from Chalakkudy to Pollachi, thru Athirappally, Vazhachal, Peringalkuthu,Sholayar, Malakkappara and Valpara will be a nice experience of hill and forests.

One of the good things that has happened in this area is the Vettilapara bridge connecting Ezhattumukham to Athirappilly road. This has substantially reduced the travel distance, especially if you are coming from Ernakulam side. (Pls see the pic. The second distance column is the distance saved). The The other side of the bridge is facing 'Silver Storm' water theme park.
pck404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #1503
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjustin View Post
The Chennai Silks is going to start functioning in Kochi. When will Jayalakshmi come to Thrissur? They had bought land at Ikkanda Warrier Road !!!!!!! And no news about Joy Alukkas Wedding Center !!!!
Alukkas stopped their decision to start a wedding center..

They had land and even started the work ... but something was messed up by the Corporation and Kerala government which made them to stop every new projects in Kerala.

Vinod
vinod_2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #1504
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakrishna View Post

Earlier there was a proposal for Kottayam - Madurai railway line and even a survey was conducted for the same and it was found that the line is viable and can be constructed economically. It'll be much shorter than Ekm - Madurai line. Since Munnar region comprises of many tall mountains, the cost will be substantially high. The line to Kottayam will be the shortest of all the proposed ones. Madurai - Kottayam line will be shorter than the existing Madurai - Kollam line also.
This line is not only economical, but also will benefit Kochi.
Compared to Palghat, Kollam, Ernakulam Trichur and Trivandrum, Kottayam is the nearest city in Kerala ,to Madurai (both Displacementwise and distancewise)
So the Govt. should consider Kottayam - Madurai railway line.
I think more than the distance connectivity between major required towns are very important.

The Green Coridor between Thrissur and Pollachi is a must for Kerala.. as our state gets vegetables, egg, flowers and many more from pollachi and it's near by towns...

Moreover the frequent travel of people (especially from central kerala) to holy lands in tamil nadu like palani, dindigul, maduri, and velankani can take the same route...

More than Kottayam Central kerala is more depended and connected to TN.

The great natural gap in the Western Ghats between Nenmara and Slientvalley should be used very well instead of wasting money in creating holes in westernghats and removing natural beauty... Hence I think Thrissur - Kollendode rail line... should have been given priority at the first instance.

Vinod
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #1505
simpliCITY
here and there

Likes (Received): 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_2007 View Post
I think more than the distance connectivity between major required towns are very important.

The Green Coridor between Thrissur and Pollachi is a must for Kerala.. as our state gets vegetables, egg, flowers and many more from pollachi and it's near by towns...

Moreover the frequent travel of people (especially from central kerala) to holy lands in tamil nadu like palani, dindigul, maduri, and velankani can take the same route...

More than Kottayam Central kerala is more depended and connected to TN.

The great natural gap in the Western Ghats between Nenmara and Slientvalley should be used very well instead of wasting money in creating holes in westernghats and removing natural beauty... Hence I think Thrissur - Kollendode rail line... should have been given priority at the first instance.
Pollachi is not an important city to connect with. and the line is very close to existing Palakkad line - (compared to other proposals from the state.)
I dont think it is needed as urgent.
But in the case of Nanjangud -Nilambur line for example will reduce travel time between Kochi,TVM with Banglore in a magnificant stage.
so all of the state exept, Knr, Clt, & Kasargod will get benefit with that line
simpliCITY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #1506
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpliCITY View Post
Pollachi is not an important city to connect with. and the line is very close to existing Palakkad line - (compared to other proposals from the state.)
I dont think it is needed as urgent.
But in the case of Nanjangud -Nilambur line for example will reduce travel time between Kochi,TVM with Banglore in a magnificant stage.
so all of the state exept, Knr, Clt, & Kasargod will get benefit with that line
As far as Trichur is considered, Pollachi is an important place, just like Nagercoil to Trivandrum, Shencottah to Quilon or Coimbatore for Palakkad & Mangalore for Kasaragod.

Thrissur is connected directly to Pollachi by road via Vadakkenchery (mid point in TSR-PKD highway), Nenmara, Kollengode & Govindapuram (the border). Large quantum of vegetables to Thrissur & Ernakulam Districts arrive from Pollachi Vegetable Market, which is the LARGEST*** in South India (*** Don't know the status after the commissioning of the Koyembedu market in Chennai).

The innumerable number of Private buses (especially that of NTP - Nanjappa Transport) plying in the Thrissur - Govindapuram route itself is the proof of Trichur's connections with Pollachi. All these buses carry large quantities of vegetables & fruits as brought by the retailers.

There are still more number of Town Services to Pollachi from Govindapuram, the distance to Pollachi Town Centre being only 22 km.

Moreover, the Thrissur-Govindapuram-Pollachi road can even be upgraded as a National Highway, as the road from the border is a State Highway of Tamil Nadu, leading to Palladam (Coimbatore District). Palladom is a major rice market in Tamil Nadu. Loads of rice bags reach the Ernakulm Market from Palladom.

All these justifies the necessity to have a railway line in the Thrissur-Pollachi sector.

Last edited by jaleelmalik; July 6th, 2009 at 07:38 AM.
jaleelmalik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #1507
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Thrissur's connections with Idukki District

It is easier to get connected to the eastern slopes of the Idukki District via Pollachi.

For example, the Marayoor-Kanthallor-Chinnar region on the eastern rain shadow zone can be easily reached via Pollachi & Udumalpet. It might take hardly 4.5 hours by bus (3.5 hours by car) to reach these places from Thrissur.

If we opt for the Thrissur-Ankamali-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam-Munnar-Marayoor route, the running time shall be more than double.

So if we have a railway line, one from the North Eastern slopes of Idukki District can easily board to a train from Udumalpet and reach North & North Central Kerala easliy.
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #1508
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
As far as Trichur is considered, Pollachi is an important place, just like Nagercoil to Trivandrum, Shencottah to Quilon or Coimbatore for Palakkad & Mangalore for Kasaragod.

Thrissur is connected directly to Pollachi by road via Vadakkenchery (mid point in TSR-PKD highway), Nenmara, Kollengode & Govindapuram (the border). Large quantum of vegetables to Thrissur & Ernakulam Districts arrive from Pollachi Vegetable Market, which is the LARGEST*** in South India (*** Don't know the status after the commissioning of the Koyembedu market in Chennai).

The innumerable number of Private buses (especially that of NTP - Nanjappa Transport) plying in the Thrissur - Govindapuram route itself is the proof of Trichur's connections with Pollachi. All these buses carry large quantities of vegetables & fruits as brought by the retailers.

There are still more number of Town Services to Pollachi from Govindapuram, the distance to Pollachi Town Centre being only 22 km.

Moreover, the Thrissur-Govindapuram-Pollachi road can even be upgraded as a National Highway, as the road from the border is a State Highway of Tamil Nadu, leading to Palladam (Coimbatore District). Palladom is a major rice market in Tamil Nadu. Loads of rice bags reach the Ernakulm Market from Palladom.

All these justifies the necessity to have a railway line in the Thrissur-Pollachi sector.

Well said ...

I did not explain everything in my last post because i thought every one in the forum knows abt the importance of Pollachi and neighbouring towns to Kerala....

I'm not telling this because I'm a Thrissurian..

The Thrissur-Pollachi region benifits the whole Kerala (mainly central kerala) in terms of Goods (Vegetable, egg, poultry and flowers). Without this region I don't think people in Kerala can get the above mentioned items..

The other new railway lines which you have mentioned are mainly just to reduce the time for travelling (which should just only get a lower priorty)..

Because railway line which carry more of Goods will considerably reduce the cost of goods sold in kerala... I don't know why you people who boast abt development does not take this into matter...

It's sad to see people saying we need a railway line to reduce the time by 1 hour ....

As it is not just abt Pollachi.. the vegetation between the Thrissur - Pollachi will also get benefited with this.. hence the farmers of that area can sell goods directly to the wholesale markets of Thrissur, Cochin or Pollachi...

Meanwhile as there is a railway line pollachi to madhuri exsisting.. The Central Kerala will get connected to Madhuri in much shorter distance...

As Lalu said... Kerala should concenrate on getting goods via rail... if we need the railway should grow in our state....

Vinod
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #1509
simpliCITY
here and there

Quote:
Well said ...

It's sad to see people saying we need a railway line to reduce the time by 1 hour ....
this is one of the most ridiculous comment I ever see.

What I said, there is already a line between Palakkad & Pollachi. is that making these much of benefit to Palakkad region?? and Koallangod Pollachi line dont have anything to do with the Vegitable prices of districts south of Ernakulam and north of Thrissur. so only 2 districts will get benefit. as goods will go again via Palakkad & Shornur to north Kerala.

& time, so u need your vegitable 30 to 45 mins earlier than it is getting today by road & Palkkad line?? is that the most important rail way need of Kerala???

other lines mentioned by me is for the development of whole of Kerala not for a single district.

Madurai is more close to Kochi by the new proposed line -
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #1510
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Well said ...

I did not explain everything in my last post because i thought every one in the forum knows abt the importance of Pollachi and neighbouring towns to Kerala....

I'm not telling this because I'm a Thrissurian..

The Thrissur-Pollachi region benifits the whole Kerala (mainly central kerala) in terms of Goods (Vegetable, egg, poultry and flowers). Without this region I don't think people in Kerala can get the above mentioned items..

The other new railway lines which you have mentioned are mainly just to reduce the time for travelling (which should just only get a lower priorty)..

Because railway line which carry more of Goods will considerably reduce the cost of goods sold in kerala... I don't know why you people who boast abt development does not take this into matter...

As it is not just abt Pollachi.. the vegetation between the Thrissur - Pollachi will also get benefited with this.. hence the farmers of that area can sell goods directly to the wholesale markets of Thrissur, Cochin or Pollachi...

Meanwhile as there is a railway line pollachi to madhuri exsisting.. The Central Kerala will get connected to Madhuri in much shorter distance...

As Lalu said... Kerala should concenrate on getting goods via rail... if we need the railway should grow in our state....
Not exactly. Mostly the Central & North Kerala, while the southern Districts get vegetables mostly from Kanya Kumari, Tirunelveli & other Southern Tamil Nadu Districts. There are also massive vegetable markets at Oddanchadram, Dharapuram, Bathlagundu etc (all in Dindigal District), which provides vegetables for Kerala.

With respects to Egg, Namakkal feeds the entire Kerala (once upon a time, Kerala had surplus egg).
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #1511
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:

What I said, there is already a line between Palakkad & Pollachi. is that making these much of benefit to Palakkad region?? and Koallangod Pollachi line dont have anything to do with the Vegitable prices of districts south of Ernakulam and north of Thrissur. so only 2 districts will get benefit. as goods will go again via Palakkad & Shornur to north Kerala.

& time, so u need your vegitable 30 to 45 mins earlier than it is getting today by road & Palkkad line?? is that the most important rail way need of Kerala???

other lines mentioned by me is for the development of whole of Kerala not for a single district.

Sameer, we were discussing about the Nanjengode-Nilambur line no?
Or the Madurai-Kumili-Kottayam-Ernakulam line ? I was wondering how come the former reduce the distance between Madurai & Kochi? or were you meaning the distance reduction between Bangalore/Mysore & Trivandrum/Kochi?

BTW, we should have solid proposal to have trains from Nilambur to Trivandrum (The line is BG no?). . As of now, the Venad Express is ilde at Shoranur only for a very short time.

If there is current rake of Venad is paired, then threre is a way.
Let one rake start from Trivandrum at 5 am, meanwhile its twin train shall start from Nilambur at 5 am. Let both these trains cross each other by around 10 am at Ernakulam, and reach Trivandrum by 5 pm.

Both these trains can start their return trip by 9 pm, so that there shall be a train towards North Kerala from Trivandrum at night, which shall also help to reduce the load on the Mangalore (formerly Kannur) Express, Guruvayoor Express etc.

Also this train will serve as a interim link express to the Mysore/Bangalore bound travellers from South & Central Kerala, atleast till the Nilambur-Nanjengode railway line materialise. Nilambur will also develop as a major transport hub.

In addition to this, the Malappuram District would be benefitted to a greater extent as the non-coastal Taluks of the District like Perintalmanna, Ernad & Nilambur shall get an easier link (As of now, Tirur is the approved boarding point) to South & Central Kerala.

There are many buses starting from Malappuram, proceeding to Trivandrum via Perinthalmanna & also via Kottakkal. In the same way, there are also buses starting from Perinthalmanna & proceeding to Trivandrum via Malappuram. The Nilambur Trivandrum buses are also full to its seating capacity on most of the days.

Open for discussion, please. (We will cross post & continue at the Railways thread)
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1512
simpliCITY
here and there

Quote:

My reply was for this Post.
Quote:
Well said ...
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1513
bartheius

Likes (Received): 1

IS THIS SKYCRAPERCITY FORUM OR INDIAN RAILWAY FORUM

STOP ALL THIS UNWANTED THINKS IN THIS FORUM ITS NOT INDIAN RAILWAY FORUM OR TRAVEL FORUM TO SPOT DISTANCES.. EASY WAY TO GET THORUGH..WHY OTHER PLACESS INVOLVED HERE MORE THAN THRISSUR THIS PLACE FOR THRISSUR NOT FOR OTHER DISTRICTS... FORUM OWNER YOU MUST COME HERE...NOT MAKE THIS

PLEASE STOP ABOUT THIS DISCUSSION POST SOMETHING ABOUT THIS FORUM
bartheius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #1514
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Quote:

I didn't mean to disturb you with any of my comments... It was in general

Kerala such a small state should not have any issue regarding the timings because we have a north (mangalore) - central (palakadu) and south (tvm) opening for railways towards other states..

Now what i was trying to explain is that we need more rail lines to transfer goods... As kerala's goods transfer rate through rails is very less....

The cost of transportation does matter for farmers and the end users...

So the rails like Thrissur - Kollengode and Kollam - Thenkashi should come up.....

you cannot make rails from every district to other states to reduce time...

But these proposed rails (Thrissur - Kollengode and Kollam - Thenkashi ) are not to reduce time but to help the farmers of those region and to reduce to transportation cost vegetables and other items....

Note : The services in the Pollachi- Kollengode-Palakkad section were terminated in December, 2008... So currently no link towards pollachi....

Vinod
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #1515
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
I didn't mean to disturb you with any of my comments... It was in general

Kerala such a small state should not have any issue regarding the timings because we have a north (mangalore) - central (palakadu) and south (tvm) opening for railways towards other states..

Now what i was trying to explain is that we need more rail lines to transfer goods... As kerala's goods transfer rate through rails is very less....

The cost of transportation does matter for farmers and the end users...

So the rails like Thrissur - Kollengode and Kollam - Thenkashi should come up.....

you cannot make rails from every district to other states to reduce time...

But these proposed rails (Thrissur - Kollengode and Kollam - Thenkashi ) are not to reduce time but to help the farmers of those region and to reduce to transportation cost vegetables and other items....

Note : The services in the Pollachi- Kollengode-Palakkad section were terminated in December, 2008... So currently no link towards pollachi....

Kollam-Shencottah line is already existing. Only thing is that the gauge conversion is going on at a low pace.
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #1516
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
Kollam-Shencottah line is already existing. Only thing is that the gauge conversion is going on at a low pace.
Jaleel , Wat do you think abt my comments?

Vinod
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1517
simpliCITY
here and there

oops

Last edited by simpliCITY; July 6th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1518
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Quote:
Jaleel , Wat do you think abt my comments?
Vinod, I agreed with all your points, except for the one as highlighted in bold.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1519
simpliCITY
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartheius View Post
STOP ALL THIS UNWANTED THINKS IN THIS FORUM ITS NOT INDIAN RAILWAY FORUM OR TRAVEL FORUM TO SPOT DISTANCES.. EASY WAY TO GET THORUGH..WHY OTHER PLACESS INVOLVED HERE MORE THAN THRISSUR THIS PLACE FOR THRISSUR NOT FOR OTHER DISTRICTS... FORUM OWNER YOU MUST COME HERE...NOT MAKE THIS

PLEASE STOP ABOUT THIS DISCUSSION POST SOMETHING ABOUT THIS FORUM

OK TATA BYE BYE

ini ningalaayi ningale padaayi. vaa jaleelkka , pokam!!

@ Vinod,
come to Railway Projects thread for further discussion.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1520
vinod_2007
Son of Paul A Therattil

Paddy production rises in Palakkad district

PALAKKAD: Palakkad district will account for 50 per cent of paddy production in the State going by the marked increase in production.

In 2007-08, the share of the district in total production in the State was 46 per cent. In 2008-09, the district had brought 627 hectares of barren land under paddy cultivation. The Agriculture Department, district panchayats and other local bodies are implementing various intensive paddy cultivation schemes that will help increase rice production, said agriculture experts.

In 2008-09, the Kerala State Civil Supplies Corporation had procured 1,27,102 tonnes of paddy from the district under the paddy procurement scheme of the State government. This was 22,360 tonne more than the paddy produced in the district during the previous year.

The farmers were paid Rs.139.82 crore as the procurement price during 2008-09, an official release here said.

As per the report of the State Statistical Survey Department, the paddy production in Palakkad was 46 per cent of the total production in the State in 2007-08. Alappuzha came second with 14 per cent followed by Thrissur, 12 per cent. The lowest percentage of production was in Pathanamthitta district, according to the survey.

Vinod