daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #81
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

The good, the bad and the ugly side of construction

1/1/06

Construction dominated the headlines in 2005 for good, bad and even ugly reasons. Dubai was of course the epicentre of the regional construction boom during the year, but 2006 may see the focus shifting to other building hotspots throughout the region.

The success of mega-projects like the Palm offshore islands, the recently launched Dubai Waterfront and the new high-rise citadels of Dubai Marina and Jumeirah Beach Residences, triggered a wave of copycat projects by other GCC countries. All of them are eager to emulate the ‘if you build it, they will come’ philosophy of the emirate.

Nowhere is this more evident than in the development of offshore islands. It is worth remembering that the original Palm Jumeirah island was launched just three years ago. Since then we have seen construction work start on The Wave in Muscat and the Pearl-Qatar.

Then we had the Nujoom Islands development in Sharjah, Al Raha in Abu Dhabi and the Durrat Al Bahrain. The Dubai formula of economic diversification is being adopted throughout the Middle East and the developers that made it happen are cashing-in on that success.

Dubai International Properties and Emaar are both expanding their operations across the region, spreading the Dubai development gospel as they go. The largest such project, announced just days ago, is the US$26 billion King Abdullah Economic City to be developed by Emaar in Jeddah – set to provide jobs for a staggering 500,000 people.

So that was the good, now let’s look at the bad. The superlative-driven, record-breaking nature of the construction industry attracted worldwide attention last year in the form of the Burj Dubai (the largest tower in the world), Ski Dubai (largest, and oh yes, only ski slope in the Middle East) and Dubai Waterfront (largest master-planned development ever).

But the Middle East construction industry also attracted the attention of global media for very different reasons. It was the year that the world heard about the abuse and mistreatment of expatriate labourers forced to work in often appalling conditions on sites across the region.

Fed up with the abuse, workers in Qatar and Dubai took to the streets in protest and forced authorities in both countries to deal with issue of pay and conditions for foreign construction workers.

While some pressure has been put on contractors to provide adequate accommodation and pay their workers on time, deteriorating industrial relations in the sector are likely to feature largely in 2006 as activity expands still further.

So that only leaves the ‘ugly’ – and that is what many cities throughout the region will inevitably become unless governments do more to ensure that not every crazy-horse masterplan submitted is given planning consent. And while it is fitting to reflect on some of the best projects to have started construction in 2005 it is also a relief to mention some of those that didn’t – Hydropolis, Skitrac and the Crystal Dome are a few to spring to mind. But the one that takes the cake has to be Chess City.

The brainchild of Russian entrepreneur Kirsan Ilumjinov, the US $2.6 billion project included plans for 32 chess piece-shaped towers, including two ‘King’ towers standing 64 storeys tall. The high-rise citadel of giant black and white chess pieces is the strait-jacketed, twitching, crazy mother of all building projects that never were — and long may they continue.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #82
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

not really an interesting article.
rather boring we know of all of that. they do not even mention the pearl which was actually a much larger never built/fake project.

the workers thing is not new, they take care about that, and it is not only a problem in the middle east.
and, again, those people are mistreated , no doubt, but they are not forced to come to dubai, and they earn way more money than they would in india etc.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #83
Darth Shemp
Armani

http://www.itp.net/business/features...3608&category=
Sean Cronin is the Editor of Construction Week magazine.
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #84
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

wouldn't have thought that.
in my eyes this is rather poor writing and research, don't know?
anyone got an opinion?
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #85
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

I want a update!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #86
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

don't be so desperate and read post 80, show some condolescence...
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #87
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo

wouldn't have thought that.
in my eyes this is rather poor writing and research, don't know?
anyone got an opinion?
How can you say it is poor research when you have just said that we knew everything in it. How could we know it if it was in someway not true?

But I think it's a fair article, there's no doubt some projects in Dubai suck **cough** Falcon City **cough** it's no different to any other city.
He praise the development where it deserves it, and critises the problems which have occured in 2005.

You know, as much as I love Dubai and think there is alot of unfair Dubai bashing on these forums. Some of the Dubai forumers need to accept that things arn't perfect in Dubai and that sometimes the criticisms of others are justified and should be discussed without you just saying 'Another hater' or something simular.

And Effer, I agree with you, it's Friday where are the damn updates?!.....Wait...it's not friday at all is it? Be patient, the longer wait will be worthwhile when much more has changed.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #88
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effer
I want a update!
Good things come to those who wait.
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #89
pasha 03
Skyscrapers' lover

I read aboout it in the news, right before my architecture lesson.

Please, accept my sadness.
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #90
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyevildude
How can you say it is poor research when you have just said that we knew everything in it. How could we know it if it was in someway not true?

But I think it's a fair article, there's no doubt some projects in Dubai suck **cough** Falcon City **cough** it's no different to any other city.
He praise the development where it deserves it, and critises the problems which have occured in 2005.

You know, as much as I love Dubai and think there is alot of unfair Dubai bashing on these forums. Some of the Dubai forumers need to accept that things arn't perfect in Dubai and that sometimes the criticisms of others are justified and should be discussed without you just saying 'Another hater' or something simular.
nah it is ok i am critical about dubai projects for example palm deira and falcon city as well, but i think the article is just not showing any significant stuff it is more or less a kinda blabla. too short to show the true stories that is what i mean with poor research.

there are way better articles on the fake projects in dubai and on the workers issue.

there is no wrong information of course, this is the construction weeks' editor afterall.

i did not mention the word another hater as well.
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #91
Darth Shemp
Armani

Korea Pushing Up Limits of Urban Skies

A growing number of high-rise buildings are pushing Korea’s urban landscape higher and higher as cities seek development and prestige, but high buildings come with a cost.
What are the reasons for building taller?

One reason is to impress _ promoting a brand to the world.

To continue a series of tall buildings, Lotte Engineering & Construction will build the second Lotte World in Chamsil, eastern part of Seoul. The 112-story, 555-meter structure finally passed the traffic impact analysis held by the Seoul Metropolitan City last month.

If it had sought only profits, the group should not have left the site for the ``Super Tower’’ for more than 12 years since 1994 with an investment of at least 1.5 trillion won, the group manager noted. If the project goes smoothly, the tower opens in five years.

``The Super Tower will bolster the economy and attract more than $200 million in annual tourism income. Most of all, it will stand as the most representative structure in Korea,’’ he added.

Now under construction in Pusan is the 107-story, 465-meter Lotte World, the second of its kind in Pusan. The completion year is to be 2013.

Meanwhile, Samsung Engineering & Construction participated in the construction of the world’s second-highest building, the 101-story Financial Tower 101 in Taipai and the third-highest building, the 88-story Petronas Twin Tower in Malaysia. Moreover, it will also build the 162-story ``Burj Dubai’’ in United Arab Emirates, which will be the world’s tallest structure when it is completed in 2008.

Pics:
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/...8181511890.htm
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #92
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

well of course this is also a reason to build highrise, but it works, see burj al arab, a landmark.
or see the empirse state building in the 30s.
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #93
Darth Shemp
Armani

Some inspiration for you renderers

Great renderings on SSC guys (and gals). I think you rendering people might like this:

http://www.minastirith-project.com

Thursday, 5 January:
wa named interior designer for Burj Dubai hotel:
http://www.itp.net/business/news/det...9174&category=

Last edited by Darth Shemp; January 5th, 2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #94
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16046

One of the three Construction Contractors on BD - BESIX (Other 2 -Samsung Constructions & Arabtec) wants to build a 340m tower in Belgrade. Their representative presented BESIX experience by mentiong that they are constructing a 710m tower in Dubai. He didn`t mention the name but thats obviously BD

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #95
rud
BANNED

i tell yer wot that sheikh was a proper bastard i tell thee!
he did absolutely **** all for dubai! the piece of shat!
rud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #96
Peter The Great

Likes (Received): 9

^ lol...you is jokes
Peter The Great no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #97
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

06/01/2006

[IMG]http://************/jsd27s.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/jsd1c7.jpg[/IMG]
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #98
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Two more

[IMG]http://************/jsd2fp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/jsd2yf.jpg[/IMG]
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #99
Peter The Great

Likes (Received): 9

Good quality update...has it broken 100m yet?
Peter The Great no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #100
Darth Shemp
Armani

Still no rise on the ends?

Hmmmmm............

Also, you can no longer see all the way through after level 8

Great photos.

Last edited by Darth Shemp; January 6th, 2006 at 07:29 PM.